audi sync with Denon AVR

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ken, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Ken

Ken Auditioning

I have a Denon 1803 and all video sources have slight audio ahead of video. There are controls for distance of speakers to viewing location (entered as distance in feet from speakers, 0-60 ft.). I tried to adjust this and it seems a bit better but not perfect.

I looked at specs for higher end Denon AVR's (3803 and up) and there seems to be a variable audio delay up to 200ms. Is this what I need? Is there a workaround with the model that I have?

thanks
    ken

2. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Yes but it's my understanding that the delay only works for digital signals consisting of Dolby Digital or DTS. (Maybe others can expand on this...)

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Lipsync is not a setting, nor is it typically a problem with the receiver, it is a problem with your player. Since you haven't told us what your player is, would this be an older Sony? I've seen this myself on my parents Sony (s360), but turning it off and on again fixed it. If it does it all the time, you probably need a new DVD player.

4. Ken

Ken Auditioning

The DVD is a Denon DVD-1600.

Ken

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Analog or digital connection? I haven't heard of the 1600 doing this, but you might check the sources forum. The delay settings for audio on receivers is for the speaker settings, and does not affect the sync between the video and audio on the player.

6. Chuck Kent

Ken: What kind of video setup are you running? If all video is affected, it sounds like you're running some kind of scaler or something that adds video processing time...

7. John S

John S Producer

Does it still do it if you switch to analog connections? Just for troubleshooting purposes?

8. Ken

Ken Auditioning

Chuck,
    How do I check this?
    thanks
    Ken

9. Chuck Kent

Well, when you say all of your video leads the audio, what are your video sources, what equipment does the signal run through and what type of display are you using?