What's new

Audax, speakers for home theater, opinions? (1 Viewer)

I am considering using these speakers for my DIY home theater system. I will buy them from Parts Express
They have an 8" # 296-136 on sale and I may purchase 8 of these and build MTM setup using the Audax textile dome tweeter #276-152. They will be floor standing except the center.
I could use a crossover recomendation for these if anyone may know what I could purchase. I don't know how to build one.

David A. Frattaroli

Stunt Coordinator
I used a pair of Audax Aerogel 5.25" mids for my mini monitors and really love them. They're excellent drivers.
------------------

Ken Cline

Stunt Coordinator
Tony,
I've built the complete Audax system. It's quite a good system for home theater, a good back-for-the-buck system. I don't think it's as quite good for pure music though, a little too midrangy. The center channel is awesome on
Check out one of my surrounds I just finished http://www.geocities.com/ken_cline/audax4.jpg . I modified the design a bit, made it ported instead of sealed. It's tuned to 52Hz and has a F3(simulated) of 58Hz.
Here's a few more pics:
http://www.geocities.com/ken_cline/audax1.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/ken_cline/audax2.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/ken_cline/audax3.jpg
------------------
Ken Cline - Home Theater Fanatic
[email protected]
Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Crap!
www.dvdtracker.com/~kencline.asp

David A. Frattaroli

Stunt Coordinator
Ken, those speakers are beautiful. How did you do the black gloss finish? Paint? I'm very curious. Thanks.
Here's a shot of a pair I made with Audax drivers. You can see more pics on my site.
Link Removed

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Ken, beautiful work! What is the wood species?
------------------
"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!"

Ken Cline

Stunt Coordinator
"How did you do the black gloss finish?"
One word: Formica. I didn't want to hassle with the paint, too tedious. I used to do some guitar finishing so I know how time consuming it can be. Formica is so easy to work with, at least compared to painting.
The baffle is solid Padauk with natural Watco and wax applied. I'm really impressed with how it turned out.
------------------
[email protected]

Mike Lenthol

Second Unit
Ken, how do you get the edges to be perfect? 45 degree cuts? Any specific tools/blades/machinery to do it?
And approx how much is a sq. foot pricing on a good quality black Formica? Looks very nice and I'm considering that instead of veneering
wink.gif

Ken those are probably the best looking DIY's I have ever seen! Absolutely beautiful!!!!!!!
Are the mains done the same way?

Ken Cline

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the compliments
Mike,
The Formica comes in a 4'x8' sheet. The thickness is approximately .020" and is the postforming type. The color is polished black and cost is about $45 a sheet. I believe it's only sold as a full sheet. I've heard you can order it from Home Depot, but I tried and they said they couldn't. I ordered mine through Ganahl Lumber, it only took one day.
The only tools you need are a laminate trimmer(or router) with a flush laminate bit.
44104.jpg

A laminate trimmer is much easier to control than a router, but a router will suffice. I used a straight cutting flush bit as opposed to a chamfered one. After the trimming I used a fine file to slightly bevel the corners. When you do this make sure you make the cut on the down stroke, otherwise you may chip the laminate.
Tony,
The mains are done much differently, take a look: http://www.geocities.com/ken_cline/PIC00068.JPG
I really like what I've come up with, I haven't seen anything quite like it. Of course it's based on the NHT's and I originlly was going to do all sides in laminate, but I really love the look of wood(especially the exotic stuff). And, at the last minute I decided to do it this way.
At some point I may redo the mains, or, work on another design(maybe the Adire 281's), dunno.
The project I'm working on now is a sub, using the Parts Express 12" DVC driver. I'm going to finish it the same way.
------------------
[email protected]

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
Ken, how were the crossovers assembled?
Did you use a CAD program to design it?
what did you set the crossover at?
------------------
Oops...I dropped my eardrums
could you pick them up for
me

Ken Cline

Stunt Coordinator

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks