Audax HT Kit? How many here have it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Loren Jones, Jan 31, 2002.

1. Loren Jones

Loren Jones Agent

Hi,

I am still trying to decide on a kit to build for HT. I thought I had settled on the Focal kit on Zalytron.com, but then in discussions with my wife we decided it would cost too much. So, now I am searching again. I am looking mainly at the Audax HT kit or at GR-Research AV1+ LCR with AV1 surrounds.

How many here have built the Audax HT kit (or GR Research for that matter)? How do you like them? How can you describe the sound? How do you like the tweeter? My priorities are clarity, detail, and natural voice reproduction.

Thanks,

Loren Jones

PS Any suggestions for better options in the $1000 total price range?

2. Ken Shiring

Ken Shiring Agent

Loren,
    I am currently finishing off my Audax HT kit. It has taken me a very long time to get this far (I started back in Aug last year), but that was mostly due to my inexperience and difficulty acquiring the proper tools.
    I think this kit is fantastic. If you are truly interested in clarity, detail, and voice reproduction, this kit is really hard to beat. I say that because all of the reviewers, including myself, think that those qualities are by far the strongest aspects of this kit.
    The clarity is amazing with these drivers. They aren't the best drivers being made, but they have excellent definition. I have even heard them in other enclosures and configurations, and loved them even then.
    There are several sites out there with links to finished kits. Please reference my reply to this over at diyaudio here .

3. $1000 price range?....have you taken a serious look into Dennis Murphy's MB-1's? Those speakers were the biggest DIY hit (wonder) I have seen for as long as I have been doing this hobby.
    His website is:
    http://murphyblaster.com/ [​IMG] [​IMG]
    BTW, they are fully shielded

4. Loren Jones

Loren Jones Agent

Thanks for both replies. I have heard nothing but good about the MB1 / GR Research AV1. It is tough not to be torn without being able to listen.

I think the tweeter is my main concern with the Audax kit.

Loren

5. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

I am in the process of building the center and rear speakers in this kit so I don't yet have any comments on those specific drivers. I did build the Audax A652's for my main speakers and I expect them to match well with the center and surrounds. I know the A652's use different drivers than the kit, but I thought I would say that they sound very detailed and clear. You may want to visit Ralph Calabria's building instruction for the center channel. He adds more bracing than the original design and produces a better product. Talk about a rock solid cabinet. Also, check out his details on the Audax A652 speaker.
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volu...ker-9-2001.html
    http://www.sdinfo.com/volume_3_3/v3n3d.html
    Good luck.

6. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

7. Vince Bray

Vince Bray Stunt Coordinator

I agree the Audax is a good system. Very strong for high volume movie listening, and you'll find yourself really dissapointed next time you're in the local cinema after getting used to them. They have pretty good power handling due to multiple woofers in the mains and center.

Most likely the weakest point is the surround. They are fine for movies and I am satisfied for now, but they are not compensated for midrange bump of the woofer as the front speakers are. I would like to build some dipoles or alternative to them ultimately.

Great bang for the buck here. My total with mahogany veneer was about $800 for five speakers.

Vince

8. James Mudler

James Mudler Stunt Coordinator

Loren I built the Audax HT and well happy with them. I did make some dipoles for the sides. My roomate in college had the Atlantic Technologies 350THX system. Very comparable, and for the price hard to beat. Don't build the Audax sub, and the crossover design on Audax's web site is wrong. Here are some links for you.
    http://www.audax.com/doit/us_ht01.shtml
    http://www.speakerbuilder.net
    go to articles then audax HT
    good luck

9. David-S

David-S Second Unit

10. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Loren,

I have built the GR AV1 kit. Awesome speakers. I also have Dennis Murphy's MB1's up front. Just got those done a couple weeks ago and am still burning them in. Both are spectacular.

I wanted to get the AV1+'s for the front like you suggest but it was just too much $$$ and I beleive they are 4ohm so I didn't want to stress out my receiver. If you have a seperate amp, those would be awesome.

I just can't say enough good things about GR-Research and Danny Richie. He is a wealth of knowledge on speaker design. I just wish I could go to Texas to hear his entire line of speakers.

My honest opinion is that GR is the best value out there. Produces the sound of ACI sapphires at about 1/4 the price as I was told by several people during my search.

Haven't heard the Audax so I can't comment on those.

Good Luck!

11. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I just noticed the Adire 81 and 281 use the same tweeter as the Audax HT.

12. Brian Steeves

Brian Steeves Second Unit

Loren,

I built the Audax HT L&R's a few months ago. After living with them for awhile I must say they are a great value for HT duty . They have the ability to play at extremely high volumes without a wimper. They are IMHO very nuetral speakers, no major peaks or dips in the freq. resp. which is what you want for HT.

For music duty I think they are OK. They are "Home Theater" speakers designed to be used in a "System". By design they have a very narrow dispersion pattern. This was intentional by the designer Joe D'appolito. What I mean by this is that for a proper image one has to keep their head in a vise, and I don't particularly like that for music. I prefer a wider sweetspot and bigger soundstage. I also prefer a little livelier top end air. Don't get me wrong though they are a TON better than what most commercial offerings will bring you at the same price. The midrange is espcially smooth and non-fatiguing unlike some other DIY kits I have heard.

Well I have rambled enough...

13. Loren Jones

Loren Jones Agent

Thanks for all the opinions. I am sure that I will be fine with either setup. As far as using the AV1+ I do only have a receiver, but it is the Outlaw 1050 so it is able to handle 4 ohms ok.

I have heard nothing but good things about the Audax system and nothing but great things about MB1 / GR Research speakers, so I don't know. Any of you GR Research owners out there know at what SPL level your speakers begin to get unhappy? I only have 65 WPC so I won't be pumping a bunch of power to them.

As far as Brian suggesting that they don't have quite the upper end he would like for music, I have been considering having someone knowledgeable help me redesign the tweeter crossovers for use with the Morel MDT 39 or possible with Focal TC90. I don't know if that is a good idea or not.

Loren

14. James Mudler

James Mudler Stunt Coordinator

Loren send me a email. And I'll reply with my design.
    [email protected]
    As for the morel tweeter, have you seen the Audax HT kit in the the loudspeaker cookbook?

15. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    If you want a sharp high end, maybe the GR Paradox series is a better match. They use the Focal tweeter instead of the GR silk dome. Although Danny says they are not as forgiving to ss electronics and room acoustics as the AV series. They are spacifically designed for tubes but most of the paradox owners at Audioasylum use solid state and they don't have any regrets.

I have never taken the GR's high enough to cause a struggle. They are a little less efficient as some other speakers but are very strong and dynamic. The imaging and soundstage are the best features of these speakers. With the AV1+'s you shouldn't have problems, they are more efficient than the AV1's.