What's new

Attn "Who's Line?" Fans. New Drew Cary's Green Screen Show (1 Viewer)

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
I pulled this off the 2004 Fall TV Line Up thread.

This is the first I've heard. Looks like the whole Who's Line cast is coming with the notable exception of Wayne Brady. Loved that show, but this sounds like a limited version of Who's Line. Seems like it might be more produced and less impromptu. We'll see.

Why not port the whole show intact over to WB? It is obvious ABC doesn't want it.

Peace,

DM

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
Woohoo! Ryan Stiles and Colin Mochrie are two of the funniest guys in the world in my opinion. It'll be great to see at least something with them in it again.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Man, they just need to bring in someone like Joel Hodges to do some design for this thing ;)

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
Maybe I'm misunderstanding - they're going to animate something and put it on the greenscreen for the studio audience to see, or they're only doing it in post? If it's post, it's not unlike Shorties Watchin' Shorties, only with improvised material.

"Very few cartoons are shown live, it's a terrible strain on the animators' wrists."

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Sounds pretty interesting. Not exactly clear what they are going to do but Rob is probably right with it being like Shorties Watching Shorties. So the live audience will never see the final outcome until they watch it at home. Just my guess.

I loved Whose Line and am trying to produce a local improv tvshow in Denver using my improv group. It is cool that Drew and the gang are trying to keep it fresh and mix it up a bit. ABC doesn't deserve to show his stuff anymore. :thumbsdown:

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
I think the audience can see what's being projected on the green screen on monitors. They did this bit on Who's Line every so often.

Rob

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Yes I know they can do that, but that is because they have canned footage ready to go and display. I don't think that they will have an underwater wedding scene with a giant squid animated and ready to go, or an elphant skiing, or whatever else the audience will cook up.

I think they still do the scenes but add the animation in Post, unless there is something we are missing from the description.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Found no other topic on this. What do you think of it? I just saw the first episode of this show and although that the idea is interesting and the animation looks nice, I feel that it doesn’t work. It has a wow factor and you look at the animation but you laugh less. Whose Line is funnier because we don’t see the stuff! I feel when they actually show and animate the subjects on the Green Screen Show, it loses its comedy!

Dan Szwarc

Stunt Coordinator
The show was awful. It sounded good, but for some reason just didn't have the same feeling as "Who's Line".

The CG animation was all added in post. That way the animators could take advantage of the ad-libbed lines.

I only remember seeing it on the air once. Probably cancelled after 5 episodes or less.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
The whiz factor is high. It’s actually pretty to look at but it’s not funny! It’s interesting to think why, because they are practically doing the same games and concepts as Whose Lines, so why it’s not as funny? It’s kind of the same problem with the special effects laden movies today. Nothing is left to the imagination.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Looks like it is getting a second chance...on Comedy Central.

Episodes start on September 26th. It looks like they are the same eps from the WB. We'll see if any more get produced.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Thats good news! I watched it a couple of times but it was on a channel I never watched so I forgot about it :frowning:

That was a shame because I loved the idea behind the show. The animators did a very good job.

Now maybe it will get a wider audience.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks