What's new

Attn? Where to find good pot? (1 Viewer)

Walt Park

Stunt Coordinator
I've got a Njoe Tjoeb directly connected to an amp. The Tjoeb, has built in volume control, but the control is not very sensitive. ie, the jumps between the integer settings are quite largely gapped, and the min is not very quiet.

Now, all I'm playing is cd's so I'm not sure I need a pre since I dont need source switching. I just need something to control volume that wont color/shade/distort the signal. Anyone know of such a beast? Just need something to cleanly control the volume.

The Tjoeb's built in volume control only goes in 20 steps, and kinda sucks.

I dont plan on adding anything else to this system until sacd/dvda settles, then that will probably replace the cd player, and I might get a tube pre then, but for now I just need better volume control.

So anyone know somebody making a clean volume control box, or have plans for a nice diy attenuator/potentiometer?

Ted Kim

Stunt Coordinator
A good pot is the Dact Ct-2, the 10kohm version is recommended for passive preamps. I just soldered one up and it sounds excellent. It costs roughly $100 and is very transparent.

http://www.dact.com/html/attenuators.html

However, if I were you and had the soldering skills, a transformer based volume control (TVC) would be the way to go due to their better impedance match. Those who've compared the DACT with the TVC's prefer the TVC's.

A kit is available from www.bentaudio.com using the S&B transformers. Alternately, Sowther transformers are much less expensive and still will beat most active preamps.

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?f...ubediy&n=18762

I am probably going to have to put the TVC on my to do list. But I've got a lot of other projects first.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks