Attn: Upgrade for Pioneer DV-09 !!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Gary SI, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Gary SI

Gary SI Stunt Coordinator

Hi Folks,
    There is an upgrade for the DV-09 , and I just had it installed.
    The upgrade is a "chip" (IC) Pioneer part # Y V W 1932.
    Rev. 8/02.
    Before I had the upgrade , the menu on the dvd "Stargate" was nothing but triangles , now I can see the menu !!
    But wait , thats not all , overall "menu" performance seems to be improved.
    Before upgrade , going from one part of a menu screen to another the picture would "shrink" and then go to the next part. Not anymore , thats is fixed as well.
    As far as the "chroma" issue , I never noticed it ( I have a Sony KV32XBR200 ) .So can`t say for sure if that issue is fixed.
    I tried "Monsters Inc." (real quick) - on wide screen and did not "lock-up" at layer change.
    I think that any one owning a DV-09 the upgrade is worth the time and money.
    The part cost $38.00 plus s/h ( your area ? ).
    Of course this is not a user installable chip (even though soldering is not required).
    From what my tech was telling me just about the whole unit needs to be disassembled , to get to the chip location. (underside of main board)
    So there it is, my review of Pioneer`s DV-09 upgrade [​IMG]
    Good luck , and happy viewing [​IMG]
    Gary [​IMG]
    PS: The upgrade will not help the dvd , The Two Towers, at Chpt.51 , I was hopping but no luck there , still intermittent pixelization [​IMG]
    Has to be a software issue had entire unit check as well as the upgrade.

2. Frank joe

Frank joe Stunt Coordinator

hi, do you have the chroma issue? ( what is that anyway) also i called pioneer and they know nothing about a chroma issue. also how did you hear about the up grade??? frank

3. Gary SI

Gary SI Stunt Coordinator

Hi Frank,
    I have a Sony 32" XBR-200 , so I have not noticed the "chorma issue" .
    I think that maybe if your using a large rear projection tv you may notice it but again I`m not sure.
    I found out about the upgrade by calling Pioneer and asking them if there was an upgrade and they said there was , but they were hesitaint to come out and say so. I was put on hold at there parts ex. and by luck , a very nice lady picked up the phone and said "yes it is a firmware upgrade and gave me a part # and price [​IMG]
    Even though (as you`ve read ) you need to have a tech do the work and where it`s used have the tech give it a "once-over" just to make sure every thing is A-OK.
    If you can buy the part yourself , you might save some time and money. But before you order the part make sure that you have a good tech standing by willing and able to work on the DV-09.
    If the unit is mint , you`ll want to keep it that way. IMO the player looks great even when it`s not running !! LOL
    Anyway best of luck and if you have any more questions about the player , post and I`ll do the best I can to help.
    Gary [​IMG]