ATTN Paramout: Gung Ho DVD has the wrong aspect ratio!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Stockton, Jul 23, 2002.

1. John Stockton

John Stockton Second Unit

I just want to bring this to the attention of anyone from Paramount who may be reading these forums.

Gung Ho, a 2.39:1 aspect ratio film, has been heavily cropped on the sides to a 2:1 ratio. A lot of information is missing from both sides of the frame. I hope this error is corrected in a future special edition release.

2. Martin Blythe

Martin Blythe Second Unit

You're right but, to clarify, the 2.1:1 aspect ratio approximates a 70mm aspect ratio and was at the request of Don Peterman, the cinematographer. Top Gun's 2.0:1 is similar.

3. Carl C

Carl C Stunt Coordinator

Works for me.
    Thanks for the info, Martin!
    [​IMG]

4. Esten

Esten Supporting Actor

Top Gun was Super35,so the mattes were just opened up.No cropping... that i know(?).
    Well,if the DP approved it,then it's ok by me.

Must be the NTSC resolution issue? hrm.

5. John Stockton

John Stockton Second Unit

Thanks for your reply Martin.
    I am puzzled as to why Don Peterman would want a 70 MM aspect ratio, since no 70 MM prints were made for Gung Ho's theatrical run(as far as I am aware).
    Also the aspect ratio on the DVD looks to be 2.0:1 . Adding the overscan, which virtually all TVs have, results with a picture of about 1.85:1 ratio. That is a big difference to the original 2.39:1 ratio. Directors and cinematographers should keep overscan in mind, when deciding what aspect ratio they want their films presented on home video.
    Martin, Please check the DVD yourself on a normal TV screen, (no calibrated monitors or computers) and you will notice how a lot of the actors are cut off on the sides and the whole scope of the film is ruined by the 1.85:1 ratio.

6. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

I don't think Martin has a say over this. Whether or not it's true, the cinematographer made his decision.
    Martin, I won't buy this title until it is available in full frame (no black bars!) [​IMG]