What's new

attn: NYC bridge experts (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
My mom is currently in the hospital at Columbia Presbyterian (Milstein Hospital at CUMC) and has an awesome view of Manhatten. She is on the 8th floor facing south towards the rest of downtown. CUMC is basically on 165th street and Ft. Washington and on the east river, I can just make out the top of a bridge. Anybody familiar with the Milstein Hospital and the view? Is the bridge I see over the east river the Queensboro (59th st) bridge? I can just and only just see the top of the towers. I did a simply google search of it and it looks like it but I can't find a good picture at the right angle. it's not the Manhatten or Brooklyn, and a look at the Williamsburg bridge doesn't look like it so process of elimination.... But was wondering if any experts out there. Being at 165th street, would make it 100 or so city streets south...

pictures

Speaking of the Milstein, I know Bill Clinton had his heart surgery here, at the McKeen pavillion which I believe is just 1 floor above my mom's. It mentions they have a manhatten view and a hudson view. Which means they must have a southerly view and a western view too. If I walk down to the shared waiting area, there is a nice view (see photo) of the George Washington Bridge and the Palisades Cliffs in NJ. The McKeen pavillion is the "luxury" rooms there where a room goes for like $1000 a night!

Jay

LewB

Screenwriter
My Dad was in that same building right after they opened it. That's a pretty snazzy joint. Hope your mom is doing ok. I only ever saw the Manhattan View and the parking lot. Man, I dumped a small fortune on parking in that place over the years. My mom was in Columbia for an extended period and boy does it get costly when you park there 2-3 times a week.

As for the bridge, I'd guess it's the 59th street bridge. What else could it be on the east side ?

RichP

Second Unit
Could be the TriBorough bridge, that's closer. But I wouldn't rule out the 59th st one.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
WOW Dennis, you must be rich.
I will trade you for the Oakland Bay Bridge.
Then you won't have to pay ; just go right through without paying the toll

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
RichP, AHA, that's it.. I forgot about the triborough... I did a google search and that's it...

http://www.nycroads.com/crossings/triborough/

Thanks LewB for the well wishes... I am going to visit her after work tomorrow... She suffers from Alzheimers and Chorea (involuntary facial movements) and recently took a major turn for the worse, refusing to eat, fatique, balance problems, withdrawal... She got bad enough to stop eating and became dehydrated. The past couple weeks have been tough for us and the doctors are putting a feeding tube in her to supplement what she can eat through her mouth. Her chorea affects her swallowing and she's having a hard time getting enough nutrition by feedings alone. So far, the neuros cannot diagnose what she has, the Chorea is not related to the Alzheimers and she doesn't have huntington's disease. Otherwise, her body is completely healthy.

Jay

Hmmm, I'm sitting here and the Kink's "better things" is playing on Sirius Radio. What a perfect song. I hope the bluest skies is going to come tomorrow, her day of surgery.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Jay
I sincerely hope for the best for you and your Mom.
This time of the year can be the most stressful when you combine it with illness.
Good Song by a great band but maybe you should stay away from Muswell Hillbillies; Dark music might not be the best.
Grant

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks