Attn: Mr. Phil Iturralde... need your JBL expertise.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike__D, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

Hi Phill,

I have visited your site before, and noticed you upgraded from the N-series to the S-series. I currently have the N-Center, N38's (towers), old Advent mini's for surrounds, and PB10 sub all powered by an Onkyo 595 (well, not the sub), and calibrated using VE and the standard Radio Shack sound meter.

Right now I'm thinking the weak link in my system is my N-Center. I'd like to know if there was a difference going from the N-center to the S-center? Also, is the S-Center timbre matched to the N's? Or will I need to upgrade my mains as well?

I noticed in one of your posts, you had the N-center frequecy responce starting at 89Hz? Well, I'm not very knowledgable on the technical side of HT, but my Onkyo 595's crossover is at 80Mhz when I set the speakers to small... so does this mean my system is weak from 81 to 88Mhz?

I've noticed on mono sources, that if I switched from my center to stereo, so sound is routed to my N38's, the sound is deeper and fuller. No I realize I'm comparing a tower to a center channel, but the towers are set to small as well. I'd like to get some "fuller" sound from my center. Will the S-center help me?

Thanks in advance!

Mike D.

2. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

i can tell you that the N and S series arent timber matched, the N series uses a 3/4" titanium laminate tweeter and the S series uses a 1" pure titanium tweeter.

3. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Hi Mike - David is correct about the N & S Series. Each Series is 'timber (voice) matched', within Each respective Series, and David listed the reason, . . . 2 different Titanium Tweeter size & material.

4. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

Dave and Phill, Thanks for the speedy response!

Having Timber matched speakers is more important to me right now, and I'm pretty happy with my N38 mains. I'd rather upgrade my suurounds before I do anything with mains that I'm already happy with.

Could the perception in sound difference also be caused ny the fact that my N-Center is on top of my 32" Wega, while the N38's are at ear level when I'm sitting at the listening position? Would the N-Centers sound improve if I tilt it down towards my listening level? If so, what's the best method to do that. 1/4 of the speaker is hanging off the TV (the rear section) since the TV's top area is smaller than the foot print on the N-Center.

Thanks again!

Mike D.

5. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

6. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

Thanks Phil!

I'll give it a try when I get a chance.

Mike D.

7. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

Well, I did 2 things to improve my sound. First, I found an old, flexible mouse pad I had laying around. So, I folded the pad in half (like most mouse pads, buttom is rubber or similar grippy surface), and wedged it under my N-center, towards the back. This tilted it down, not as much as it should be, but close. I then had to add to rubber "sticky feet" to the bottom front of the speaker to hold it in place (had these lying around too).
    Then I recalibrated my system. I think the biggest difference was when I increased my sub's level (I have another thread going on that subject). I believe my sub level was too low before, so it didn't help the N-Center much. Now it's much better! Also, I set the tone/bass controls flat... The clarity has improved, and the sound is "fuller". All these little tweaks made a nice, noticeable difference [​IMG]
    Thanks again!
    Mike D.