Attn MIRAGE owners - placement help

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by BenF, Dec 10, 2004.

1. BenF

BenF Agent

Hello all, I am hoping some of the people out there with Mirage experience can help me out to optimize the placement.

I have a pair of the Omni 260s as my main speakers. Right now the TV is in the corner of a large room. The speakers are on either side of the TV, about 8 ft apart. Listening distance is about 10 feet.

For those of you that have done a lot of critical listening with these speakers, have you come up with some optimal distances and placement? Right now the speakers are only about 6" off the walls. I have them toed in toward the listening, but I think they sound better when I'm standing up. Has anyone else tilted them forward and gotten better sound?

Thanks for any help or insight!

2. Ryan Tsang

Ryan Tsang Second Unit

have you bought a sub yet? [​IMG]

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

More distance from the walls.

I have OM-7's, and I needed at least 18" out from any wall before the "sound in a tunnel" effect went away.

A lot of speakers can sound better if you tilt them forwards or backwards. Let your ears be the judge. [​IMG]

4. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

I have the OM-5's with much more distance from the back wall, I am nearly 4' and I must stay clear of a minimum of 2' from any sidewalls. With any speaker, the room & placement play a huge role in sound quality and the consumer sound listening preferences. I have carried these 100lb speakers up & down stairs within our four level home just to sample different room sizes & treatments, I can assure you when it comes to the large OM-5's; the room size plays a very dramatic role in the overall Mirage sound.

5. BenF

BenF Agent

Thanks for the responses guys.

My setup is in the corner of a room that is maybe 25'x35'. Jerry, can you elaborate on how you've found the room size to influence the sound?

To get the speakers even 2' off the side and back walls will require some room arrangement, but I think I'll give it a try and see how it sounds.

I am very new to the HT world, so a lot of times in addition to trying to trust my ears, i like to have the advice of the experts!

PS. Ryan, still no sub. Just got done moving into the new place, so things have been hectic. DId you ever sell your sub?

6. Ryan Tsang

Ryan Tsang Second Unit

ben:

Nope. Sub is still available. just sitting around. Offer still applies. Lemme know when things settle down.

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Jerry- Makes sense you have to move the 5's further from the walls than my 7's. [​IMG] Deeper low end extension. (And I run mine as "small" with a 60 Hz crossover.)

8. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I have the Om-10's and have placed them in just about every room acoustic situation imagineable, due to my habit of moving every 6 - 12 months (had these things for just over 4 years now).

Rule number 1 is that these bipoles need room to breathe. I'm not too familiar with the Omni 260's but more than 6 inches from the rear wall is a must. I usually have mine at between 18 - 36 inches, depending on space. Slightly toed in, with at least a minimum of 6 feet seperating them, but (depending on room and seating) I prefer closer to 8 feet. But again, having them too wide apart messes with the soundstage...its really a fine line and actually takes me weeks of tweaking to get them where I prefer the sound best.

Your manuel should have some tips about placement, mine did. If not, perhaps a FAQ or a downloaded pdf from Miragespeakers.com would help.

Room size and building material influences more than you think. It surprised me to no ends a couple years ago - I moved in with a buddy and I was happy that the living room was of fair size and would be able to give them some space but I didn't realize the walls were of hard plaster instead of drywall and hardwwod floors instead of carpet. I knew the minute I put on my reference disc something was horribly wrong - it sounded so harsh and bright and litterly unlistenable. I tried toning it down by reciever settings but trying to mask the problems didn't really help. The good news was that I moved out in 6 months and moved into an apartment that, to this day, has offered the best sound.

Bipoles are excellent musical producers but much tweaking is needed. Thats why wall mounted bipoles are not a good idea until you find that perfect spot and are happy. I have had to move my rears around in the past (OM-R2) that mount on the walls and whats left is a couple of screwholes in the drywall if I have to move them, but I have now pretty much tailored to where I prefer these in any room ( I try to place them 3 - 5 feet behind listener position and 3 feet above ear level), so I don't have to move them around a bunch of times now. Rears you can get away with not so perfect placement but for fronts its a must.

I wish you luck, keep moving them around!

9. BenF

BenF Agent

I think my main problem may be the size of the room. It's a large room with hardwood floors. The speakers and TV are sitting in the corner of the room with one wall of drywall and one of concrete.

Any suggestions on things to do to the room to improve the sound? I am really disappointed with how these sound compared to my much smaller carpeted living room where they used to reside.

10. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Try an area rug on the floor in front of the speakers. Can help with the reflections from the floor.

Some people have also had some luck by tilting a speaker forwards or backwards to change the angle of the tweeters wrt your ears. You could also try different amounts of toe in.

11. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Hang a curtain or something on the back wall to eat up some refections. Not on the main speaker wall, but on side walls and other walls.

A big carpet on the floor will help. Bipolar speakers residing against a TV placed in the corner is a sure fire ticket to bad sound. You need "proper" wall reflections, instead your going to get some whacked sound issues if you have them placed like I think you have them placed.

You suffer from more or less the same problem I did at one time. There's only one real solution now - you must move [​IMG]

Here's a pic to my set up in the apartment. Sonic bliss [​IMG]

http://img159.exs.cx/img159/4705/mirage4av.jpg