What's new

ATTN: Kung-Fu Movie Buffs HELP!!! (1 Viewer)

Ben_Caoile

Agent
Real Name
Ben Caoile
I'm trying to remember the name of a movie where the main character is a student of Shaolin. This particular part that stands out in my mind is where him and other students are carrying buckets of water up a stepped path and dumping the water. The thing is, like the other students, he has daggers straped to his arm shortly after the armpit (ouch if he gets tired). Please help me remember the name of this awesome film!!!

Garry Cowell

Stunt Coordinator
36th Chamber of Shaolin aka Master Killer

I believe both DVDs out are uncut and 'scope so it's a toss up between the r1 Steeplechase version (called Shaolin Master Killer) with the 'classic' English dub or the newly remastered Celestial r3 DVD for a vastly superior image but Mandarin Only with English subs.

Ben_Caoile

Agent
Real Name
Ben Caoile
Wow that was a fast reply! I was thinking it was that movie but I wasn't sure. I hope it is becuase, I am going to buy that movie, I hope I won't be disappointed. Thanks for your help Garry!! :emoji_thumbsup: (I'm not doubting you but someone please, confirm his post!!!) :D

StevenA

Second Unit
I'm fairly certain that Garry is describing the film you have in mind. It's a terrific film, definitely worth getting even if it's not the one you remember :D

I suppose some may have fond memories of the English dub, but I would say the digitally restored release with the original language track is the way to go. I've seen a print of the "restored" version and it's nice, but on the big screen the digital artefacts are obvious. I wish the Shaw Bros. films had been restored properly (i.e. on film). I saw a print of the "restored" Come Drink With Me and that was better, but still clearly "digitized".

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Yup Master Killer, one of the greatest ever.

The main character,Gordon Lui also makes 2 appearances in Kill Bill.

Even thought theyre OOP,you can still find some of the Master Killer DVDs.Ive seen them recently at Media Play,ebay and Best Buy

As for the restored Shaw flicks, some were remastered in HD, and some werent. Master Killer definitely should have been since its one of their most well known and loved titles. Youll need a region free player to get the HK remasters.

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
And if you like that, I highly recommend Master of the Flying Guillotine. There are a few versions, but the best I've found is the Netflix "unlimited" edition. It's got the full cut of the movie, and you can watch it either dubbed or original language + subtitles.

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
The version of MASTER OF THE FLYING GUILLOTINE you refer to is from Pathfinder...I should mention that the DVD is letterboxed, non-anamorphic 2.35 but nowhere on the package does it state the film is widescreen! I don't believe they released a pan n scan version so its not something to be too concerned about...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks