What's new

Attn: John Stone (1 Viewer)

John Stone

Supporting Actor

Like Chris said, use 'em just like the bar. I've been using dumbbells a lot lately. For my pecs, I've been doing the flat bench, flyes and incline bench all with dumbbells. The hardest part is getting down on the bench with two 70-pound dumbbells. Once I'm in position it's no problem, but getting there with all that weight can be tricky. That's why I really want to get a power rack with a safety spotter.

Armando Zamora

Second Unit
Real Name
aromaz odnamra
Rather than use free weights, I've been using our Smith rack. The problem is it's obviously not the same as using a real barbell as it makes it much easier.
Josh, that Smith machine is your best friend if there isn't a warm body around to spot you. Just pile on the maximum amount of weight that you can press for 6-8 reps or to failure. I think most Smith machines have built-in spotters. A barbell makes it harder not only because you're pressing a heavy weight, but also because you're trying to keep it balanced as well. There's nothing wrong with using a Smith machine for bench presses. The flat dumbbell press is an alternative, but you'll need a spotter for this exercise as well if you really want to push yourself.

I bought a multi-press rack which has 14" spotters just in case I get stuck with a lift. Believe me...they've saved me numerous times already. Since it's a recent addition to my home gym, I've been using it more than my Smith rack. However, I've been alternating back-and-forth between the two racks. I use the multi-press rack exclusively for squats. I stay away from the Smith rack when doing squats, except for warm-up sets (lighter weight).

Multi-press rack
Smith machine
Home gym view#1
Home gym view#2

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks