What's new

Attn: John Stone (1 Viewer)

Bill Wise

Agent
John,

I saw your website from the link in the "Abs Freak" thread and had a couple questions I thought merited a separate discussion. But first, your transformation can be described as nothing short of amazing. Congratulations!

On to the questions...

1) When planning your meals, did you have a specific caloric intake in mind or some other formula? 1100-1600 calories per day is pretty severe for guys "our age." ;-)

2) There aren't many details on your weight training regimen on the site. Can you provide some?

3) Do you (or could you) participate in other activities (court sports, swimming, running, etc.) in combination with or in lieu of your training regimen?

4) Have you had any adverse health effects from the combination of strict diet, rapid weight loss, and intense training?

Again, congratulations on the astounding transformation. I'll be keeping a close eye on your site for progress reports.

Regards,

Bill

John Stone

Supporting Actor
Bill,

Thank you very much, I appreciate the kind words.

On to the answers... :)

1) When I first started my program I made the mistake of not eating enough calories. I've since learned better and have adjusted my daily caloric intake accordingly. IMO, a good place for anyone who is interested in shedding fat to start is to eat 10 times your body weight in calories each day, and then make adjustments if needed. For most people losing 1-2 pounds of fat per week is about right. Keep in mind that those calories can't come from just any old foods! They must be wholesome foods, and you must get a good balance of macronutrients. All the hard work in the world in the gym won't amount to much without a good diet. I aim for a 40/40/20 diet, which simply means I try to get 40% of my calories from protein, 40% from carbs (with a focus on complex carbs), and 20% from fats (with a focus on good fats, which are fats rich in omega 3 and omega 6, such as salmon and olive oil). It's important to note that the above diet contains way too much protein for people who are not involved in a weight training program. You should also consult with your doctor if you have any history of kidney problems.

I strongly believe that there are 3 key aspects to transforming your body: 1) A sound diet, 2) cardio exercise and 3) weight training. That's all there is to it.

Other tips: Stay away from alcohol. Stay away from foods that contain lots of simple carbs. Products that contain simple carbs such as refined sugar, high fructose corn syrup and processed wheat are absorbed very quickly by our bodies. This rapid absorption triggers a massive insulin response. Insulin basically puts your body in fat storing mode. Complex carbs, such as whole grain breads and brown rice, are much better choices because they are absorbed by your body much more slowly than simple carbs. Your pancreas, therefore, doesn't have to introduce a lot of insulin into your bloodstream because there is not a sudden increase in blood sugar.

I try to stay away from all carbs (except those in veggies) after 5:00 PM or so. Also, drink lots and lots of water. I drink nothing but water all day (aside from a few cups of black coffee first thing in the morning).

Some examples of foods I eat: Skinless chicken breasts, crab, shrimp, tuna, salmon, brown rice, whole grain sugar-free breads, oatmeal, whole grain cereals, all kinds of veggies, turkey and so on. For more examples and detailed logs of every single calorie I've put into my body, check out my transformation site.

2) I have been meaning to post that information for quite some time. I promise to get all of that posted later today! Thanks for the reminder. :) Check my transformation site (http://www.twowiresthin.com/wl2003/) later today or early this evening and it will be there.

3) Sports are great, but most of them are too stop-and-go to be considered effective cardio workouts for fat-loss purposes. The goal of cardio exercise for people interested in losing fat is to get the heart into its aerobic zone, which is 65%-80% of its maximum rate, for a sustained 20-45 minutes (depending on your fitness level). You can estimate your max heart rate simply by subtracting your age from 220. So if, for example, you are 34 years old and in great shape, a good cardio workout might be riding the stationary bike for 45 minutes with your heart rate at a constant 149 BPM (220 - 34 * .80 = 148.8). A great alternative to normal aerobic cardio is HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). HIIT cardio sessions are shorter, but more intense. They should not be attempted until you are in reasonably good shape. I have had tremendous success using HIIT. I'll post some of my favorite HIIT workouts along with my weight training workouts on my site later today.

In my experience the ONLY time to do cardio for fat-loss purposes is first thing in the morning before you eat anything. There is no question that this produces the best results for me. As with all things related to fitness, some people don't agree with this. I encourage you to try doing your cardio at different time and see what works best for you. We are all different. Most people do find that early morning cardio in a fasted state does provide the best results, however.

4) I can honestly say there has not been a single negative side effect. My whole life has changed for the better. I'm feeling strong, I have a tremendous amount of energy, I think more clearly, my memory is better, I'm more outgoing and social, my confidence has returned, I've become more productive at work, my wife is *thrilled* with me... :)

I never would have thought working out and eating right could effect so many areas of my life, but it truly has. Everything has changed for the better. Sure, it required a lot of dedication, hard work and sacrifice, but at this point it's all second-nature. I really have made a permanent change to the way I live my life.

To anyone who is reading this and is maybe feeling down about their life, appearance or health: you can change your whole life in just a few short months. There's nothing special about me or what I did. I'm not selling anything. I'm just an average guy who was sick of looking and feeling like crap all the time and decided to do something about it. If you make the same decision and really stick with it through thick and thin, the rewards will be there waiting for you. After being fat for so long, I can't tell you how good it feels to look down and count my abs instead of my fat rolls. You can do it too...

The above information is based on my experiences over the past 4 months. I am happy to provide this information and help anyone who asks me in any way I possibly can, however I strongly encourage anyone who is considering a similar endeavor to educate him or herself, experiment and to be open to change.

Best of luck and good health!

PeteyG

Stunt Coordinator
John,

I just took a look at your site and all I can say is WOW!! Great job! I too have been through a minor transformation over the past year or so, although my results have not been as dramatic. I was in the same frame of mind as you say on your site, sick of being fat!! I am 5'9" and weighed 195 on January 1, 2002. I got married on June 8, 2002 (part of my motivation to lose weight) and I weighed 160! Today I fluctuate between 163 and 167 which I'm pretty happy with.

Throughout that time I didn't really exercise that much, which is my main focus now - toning my body. I'm curious what you do for your HIIT workouts? I have started to do some HIIT on the bike and have read conflicting ways to do it and would be curious to see what you do.

Also, did you do a full body circuit weight training program? That's what I've been doing for the past 3 months and have seem some considerable changes, but nothing near to what you've accomplished.

One last question - besides the Optimum Protein shakes (I am using Nitro Tech - any thoughts?) did you take any other supplements?

Sorry for all the questions - and again CONGRATS on your results!!

Pete

John Stone

Supporting Actor
Hi Pete,

Thank you very much, and congratulations on your progress as well--good job!

I just posted all my weight training and HIIT workouts on my site, so check that out for answers to your first 2 questions.

I've not used Nitro Tech's protein before, but I really love the taste and the results that I get from Optimum Nutrition's whey!

The only supplements I use are as follows (amounts listed are per day): 60-90g whey protein powder, 10-15g glutamine powder, a good multi-vitamin, 1.5g Glucosamine complex, 1.2g Chrondroitin sulfate, and 9g of extra fiber.

I hope this helps! Keep up the hard work and best of luck to you with your program!

Cam S

Screenwriter
HOLY #@*&!!!

John, that is incredible! You just motivated me to actually use my gym pass and go on a regular basis with a routine. I've been wanting to geto to where you are for a while now. I'm at 190 right now, and would love to get down to around 175. I just need to get rid of some the the pudge un my belly and sides, much like you had. I'm glad I found this thread!!

Keep us informed on anything new John!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Congrats on your new "you."

Amazing, though, not only did your program help you lose weight and get toned up, but you also became tan and hairless. ;)

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
John- Congratulations on your incredible transformation! I've made similar strides myself -- down to 202 from 274 lbs. Only problem is that I'm still hovering around 200 and haven't gotten to 199 yet. My big problem is that I ended up trying the Cycling Ketogenic diet (for those reading this that are not familiar with keto, it is a diet based on the atkins diet but is tweaked more for those that work out -- it includes a carb up period at the end of the week to replenish glycogen stores that were depleted while in ketosis during the previous week). It was great for the first two weeks as I ended up losing 7 lbs.

Only problem was that this diet ended up with me gorging a very unpleasant amount of unhealthy processed carb-filled food for two full days instead of 1.5 days. So I've decided to go back to a more balanced 40/40/20 diet as of next week (Friday is payday -- whew). I really want to lose the last 27 lbs. by the end of July. That way I'll still have some time this summer to show off my new bod at the beach! ;)

John, I notice you are also a member of the bodybuilding.com forums. My username is Fighter 2002 if you'd like to check out my transformation photos there (if you haven't seen them already).

I've been lacking in motivation lately to get rid of these last several lbs. or so. Your photos have put the motivation back into me to start busting my ass in nutrition and exercise. Man, I want to look that great myself! It'll be the first time in my life that I actually look something like that when I reach 175.

Keep up the awesome work. I'm looking forward to your bulking results.

John Stone

Supporting Actor
Cam S, thank you! It sounds like you don't have far to go at all. Stay committed and you'll be where you want to be in no time. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

I update my transformation page every single day, so feel to check it anytime you need a little inspiration or just want a quick update on my progress.

Malcolm R, Thanks. When I first started my program I was looking at other people's pictures who had made great progress and I thought to myself, "why do men always shave their chests when they make a transformation? I'll never do that!" Um, never say never. :b

Brian Harnish, AKA Fighter 2002, Hey man, sure I know you! We traded a few messages on the Body Building forums a couple weeks ago. I've seen your pictures (I think as of March) and you've come such a long way already! Excellent, excellent work. How can you be lacking in motivation at this point? You are almost there man! The worst is behind you, it's time to bear down and make it happen bro. :) I'm pulling for you, keep up the hard work. The next time you are feeling unmotivated, send me an email. I'll give ya friendly kick in the ass. ;)

PeteyG

Stunt Coordinator
John,

Thanks for the reply and the info update on your site - which by the way is excellent - so detailed, amazing how you update it everyday (part of the motivation I'm sure!)

What is the intervals you do when your doing HIIT on the bike? I've been on menshealthmag.com a lot and read various different ways to do it (30 second intervals, 90 second rest; 60 second intervals, 120 second rest; etc.) so I'm curious what has produced the best results for you.

I take it you find bodybulding.com to be helpful - I'm going to check it out!! Thanks again for the input and advice. Keep up the great work!!

Pete

Mark Schermerhorn

Second Unit
Hey John, does the Optimum Nutrition protein powder you take have any energy boosting crap in it? I was taking the stuff I have a few hours before bed, then found I couldn't sleep. Took a closer look at the label and noticed it contains taurine. Oops.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
John's page opened my eyes to the fact than it takes more than just cardio to properly lose weight and improve one's health. Since I started reading his page I've been a regular program of resistance training. After just a few weeks I've already begun to see and feel results, particularly in my arms, shoulders. and back. I've also begun taking creatine supplements as well as Ripped Fuel. I may or may not continue with RF but everyone I know that does weight training is anywhere from moderately to heavily supportive of creatine.

By the way, I'm not trying to downplay the importance of cardio. I think it's critical, especially if you're very much out of shape when you begin exercising. My resting heart rate has dropped significantly, and the amount of exertion it takes for me to get my heart rate to the maximum has increased by a huge amount. What used to be my pace on the treadmill is now where I idle at. What used to max me out back in February is now leaves my heart rate anywhere from 10 to 30 beats per minute lower.

John Stone

Supporting Actor
PeteyG, You are welcome!

Yes, updating my site every day is a huge part of my motivation. :)

There are two HIIT workouts that I am currently using, but none of them have any rest intervals. Unless by rest you mean intervals of lower intensity ("active recovery"). Is that what you meant? I have the two HIIT workouts I am using posted right here. Hope this helps.

Mark Schermerhorn, No, the Optimum Nutrition whey has none of that stuff in it. It's just a good quality 100% whey protein blend. The only other ingredients are a small amount cocoa, an aspartame-free sweetener, flavoring and lecithin.

Josh Lowe, hello. :) How do you like the results from the creatine? I bought some, but decided to wait to use it until I finish my cutting phase and start my bulking phase. Did you do the loading period or just start taking a normal 5g dose each day? Any stomach discomfort?

I've noticed that my resting heart rate has dropped way down as well. First thing in the morning before I drink coffee it's now a steady 48 BPM. A few months ago it was in the upper 70s. My recovery time has also improved markedly!

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
Some stomach discomfort. I don't know if it's from the Ripped Fuel or the creatine. A good friend of mine who was pretty seriously into working out during and immediatley after his time in the USMC suggested those as well as hydroxycut as an alternative to ripped fuel. Today's my second day on them (first day where I was in the gym) and so far I'm not sure.

I definitely get tense/wired from either the RF or the creatine. I'm not sure if I like the edgy feeling. It doesn't affect my mood other than I keep moving around. It also reduced my appetite. I did a pretty serious upper and lower body workout this morning (I skipped the gym on Wed and Thurs and will be out of town on Sat and Sun so I pushed hard today), too. Between the time I got up (5:30 AM) and the time I came home (4PM), I'd dropped a pound and a half. I had a bunch of plain strawberries and 32oz of water for breakfast and a turkey sandwich w/ lettuce and tomato minus the bread for lunch. The supplements really killed my appetite in the afternoon. I made myself eat a small dinner. I doubt I ate much over 1000 calories today, kind of low, especially considering the amount of working out I did.

My friend who recommended the creatine did so because he swears up and down that he picks up strength while taking it. Another friend of mine says that's a load of crap.. I don't see the harm in at least trying it out for a couple of weeks.

John Stone

Supporting Actor
Josh, I'm not into any of those fat burning supps, so I don't know much about RF or Hydroxycut. But creatine does really help improve the strength of most people who supplement with it. You will gain weight because your muscles will store water (which makes them bigger and stronger). That's why I'm waiting until I'm done cutting before I try creatine.

I did something else I swore I'd never do (at my wife's insistence, I swear it!): I shaved my legs. I'm glad I did it, though. My calves are really developing much better than I thought. I couldn't even tell how muscular they were when I had hair covering them. I'm actually pretty amazed at how far they've come. All that weight training is paying off...

Shaved legs (can't pose worth a damn)
My Calves

PeteyG

Stunt Coordinator
John, once again thanks for the link and the info - very helpful! I did mean "active recovery", which to me seems like rest after going 100% effort. What do you base your percentages on - heart rate or general effort/exertion?

I'm toying with HIIT on the stationary bike over the past week so your site is a great help. You have helped motivate me even more!!

Pete

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
John, a few questions:

1. Did you start your whole diet & exercise plan at once or phase them in?

2. Before you started this program, was your weight pretty much stable at the "before" level, or have you been thru previous weight loss cycles?

3. When you do weights & cardio on the same day, do you do them in that order in one session, or at separate times?

4. How far into your program were you when you started the HIIT? (I assume you didn't do it from day 1.)

5. When you switch to bulking mode, how are you going to change your routine? I assume eating more & doing less cardio, but how much?

Thanks.

John Stone

Supporting Actor
PeteyG, I base my levels on perceived exertion, but I also monitor my heart rate closely. For example, if I'm at 100% perceived effort but I notice that my heart rate is not between 185-190 (190 is my maximum), I tell myself, "you wuss, you only THINK you are pushing 100%. Get it in gear!". :)

I'm glad you are feeling motivated, go to it man!

Chris Lockwood,

1) I started my fat loss diet first and, shortly after (about 2 weeks), I began cardio and weight training. My original plan was to start them all together, but I wanted to see my doctor first because I was so out of shape and overweight. You know how long it can take to get an appointment. :)

2) I'd always been in good shape and was never fat. Around 1994 I started slowly gaining weight. I only weighed about 150 pounds in 1994. I really started packing on the pounds about 2.5 years ago, which is when I quit smoking. I think gained about 25-30 pounds during the period from November 2000 to January 2002.

3) I do my cardio as soon as I'm done lifting. As soon as I'm done with that, I grab a protein shake and then shower. Immediately after my shower I eat my first meal.

4) I switched from normal aerobic cardio to HIIT cardio workouts on 2/21/2003, so about 1.5 months. By that time I was doing 45 minutes on the bike at an aerobic rate (about 150 BPM for me) with no problem.

5) Some of the things I'm planning to change when I begin bulking include:

- I will stop doing cardio on weight training days.
- When weight training I will increase the number of sets and number of exercises I do for each muscle group.
- I will increase my daily caloric intake. How much I don't know yet. I plan to increase my calories 100-200 per day for about a week and evaluate my progress, making adjustments as needed.
- I will increase the amount of carbohydrates I eat in the morning, particularly after a weight training session.
- I will begin supplementing with creatine.

I'm still planning my attack, but that's the general idea so far. :)

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
Just wanted to add something: I went to the NASCAR race in Charlotte NC yesterday. I ate a bunch of junk - two stadium burgers, a big slice of pepperoni pizza, and a large sized glass of "fresh squeezed lemonade", aka a tall glass of sugar water with half a lemon tossed in. Despite eating all of that crap, the scale showed a 2lb loss over the weekend after I finished today's workout (upper body, 20 minutes of heavy cardio.) This is why strength training has been great for me, even in limited amounts.

Oh, we also walked about 2-3 miles total while going to and from the race, mostly uphill. I spent most of my time waiting for everyone else to catch up with me, vs. last year where I was huffing and puffing. I felt great after we got back to the car.

John - Jesus, last time I checked your page was last month. You look totally different in the shaved legs pics. You're the wind beneath my wings, LOL. What have you been doing for your abs? You went from being flat-stomached to having a legit six pack in a month.. damn, dude.

Oh, I have one other question - I usually do most of my working with weights on weekends, when nobody else is around to get in the way. The problem with that is there's never anyone to spot. Most of the time I use machines, but I've started doing some flat bench presses. Rather than use free weights, I've been using our Smith rack. The problem is it's obviously not the same as using a real barbell as it makes it much easier. Any suggestions on how to get around this? Someone suggested using two dumbells but I'm not sure what exercise w/ dumbells is a substitute for a flat bench press. Flies, maybe?

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> Someone suggested using two dumbells but I'm not sure what exercise w/ dumbells is a substitute for a flat bench press.

Um, flat dumbbell press. Was that a trick question?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks