Attn: Guitar Players! Advice needed for purchasing a classical guitar.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Dave Mack, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Jan 28, 2002

I have several guitars but have never owned or bought a classical, (nylon string) acoustic. I have a probable recording gig coming up and I will need one. Any advice on brands, prices, what to look for? Buying a good used one would be fine...

Thanks! D
  2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Aug 23, 1998
    There seems to be only two tiers of classical guitar, the student grade stuff, and the pro models, which cost multiple thousands of dollars, even used. Over the years I have looked for something that would replace the el cheapo model I have, but have yet to find something that really seemed a major improvement, at least major enough to warrant the asking price.

Classicals are not my specialty, but I think the general acoustic guitar wisdom applies - solid tonewoods will age better if kept properly, rather than laminates found in lower end instruments. In a recording situation, there may be a large dollar gap between a guitar that sounds good, and one that is great, and depending on the context (ie solo vs ensemble or embelleshment part), it may not make that much difference one way or the other. You might also want to look at something like the Variax, which will do a lot more than one guitar sound, and plays like an electric. It won't give you the image, but if all you are doing is laying tracks, might be another solution.