What's new

Attn Bob or any other Bay Area residents (1 Viewer)

James Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Bob,

Im in Vallejo. Can you tell me of any places around that I can audition some top end stuff? I just recently got my equipment (Denon 1802 with Energy Take 5's) and am curios to see what top end sounds like.

Thanks!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Well, lets see...

On Locust St. in Walnut Creek there are 2 stores:

Stereo Unlimited: 982-5835 They have NHT, Aerial, and others. Primarally a higher-end music store.

Less than a block away (behind Strings resturant) is Pro Home Systems: 937-3300 This is a home theater store, but they have some nice amps, projectors, and a dedicated speaker room.

A few blocks away is Triad Home Theater: 952-4581

The last 2 specalize in custom music and home theater systems. They each have several demo rooms, but neither have tons of equipment, just represenative samples. Both welcome walk-in's and are friendly.

I have not hit Berkely in several years. But in the yellow pages I am seeing some interesting ads:

Music Lovers Audio & Video: (510) 558-1000 Claim to have HDTV and 6 demo rooms.

San Francisco Stereo & Theater: (510) 486-1044 - One of 3 stores claiming "High End" audio & video.

Hope this helps.

TomMadden

Agent
A bit more south, there's LaserLand on DeAnza near Cupertino. They have a bunch of really high-end stuff as well as a nice collection of Plasma televisions. :)

James Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the info. I just printed this page and will be taking a look at some of the shops soon.

Thanks again.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
James, on second thought: STOP!

You just got your speakers and receiver? The WORST possible thing you can do is go listen to some high-end gear. If you do, the next/every time you sit down with your system you will be thinking: "...this would sound so much better if I had ..."

This will ruin your appreciation of your system.

Your gear is modest, but well respected. Dont set yourself up for dissatisfaction.

You have many hours to play around with your current gear and can do a lot to tweek/make it sound better. Then you have months of DVD's to rent/buy/re-watch. And you can invite friends over for movie-parties.

My advice is: plan to add a new piece of equipment in a year. Look at your current system. Could you use a better subwoofer, better display, better DVD player, DSS system, etc. Spend the next year looking at something other than receiver/speakers. This way you can enjoy the anticipation of your next upgrade, but dont risk being dissatisfied with your current equipment.

Hope this helps.

James Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Bob you hit it right on the note. In fact, I am in the process of finding a new TV. Im looking at the Sony 51" widescreen. Saw a sweet deal at Goodguys in Dublin. I do run a DSS system now but have no digi out... another thing to consider.

So many components offered, so little cash.

I do appreciate your input in all of this. I am happy with what I have now. Im just curios to hear what High End stuff sounds like. Staying away from those shops will probably do me right.

Thanks again for all the advise..

GaryG

Auditioning
Magnolia Hi-Fi is a Northwest chain that just opened stores in the greater Bay Area: San Ramon, Santa Rosa, Colma (South SF), Palo Alto & Santa Clara. They were very helpful when I checked out the Colma & Palo Alto stores. They carry a good number of mid and high-end brands.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the Magnolia HiFi in San Ramon is a favorite haunt of mine. A Whole Foods grocery next to Magnolia - they just need to add a Hollywood DVD store and I'd never leave. :)

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
Music Lovers in Berkeley is a great store!! They are only about a mile from my house and the people there are fantastick. Very knowledgeable, very helpful and not pushy at all. I've gotten quite a few things from them.
When I got my Servo-15 from them they let me demo as much stuff as I wanted for as long as I wanted. Our conversation ended up moving towards there super hi-end stuff which they knew was well out of my price range and they gave me a nice long demo of there Avalon speakers (Amazing!!) I ended up spending well over two hours there, and I pretty much knew what I wanted when I walked in the door.
When I got the servo-15 home it wasn't working (It was a used model). With 15 minutes the salesguy that helped me was at my house diagnosing the problem. He also assured me that even though it was used it came with the full factory warranty so I had nothing to worry about. Turned out that the connection for the RCA had come loose on the inside. The guy went back to the store, got a soldering iron, and came back and fixed the sub. Great customer service!!
They do in fact have 6 demo rooms and carry a wide assortment of hi end equipment. I really can't recommend them enough.
They are on the web to http://www.musicloversaudio.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks