What's new

Attn B&K owners....question. (1 Viewer)

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator
I have an AVR507 and love it, but I was hoping you could answer some questions about the speaker setup.

I have a 7.1 speaker configuration, with two surrounds and two back surrounds. What is the difference between speaker mode 6 and speaker mode 7?

The manual is a bit fuzzy to me on this...mode 6 evidently forces EX and ES, and the back surrounds run in mono...fine. But what is mode 7 doing? According to the diagram in the manual, it gets the back surrounds to work in some kind of stereo arrangement? How does it do this?

Also, is mode 7 actually playing EX soundtracks back in straight EX, or some kind 'enhanced' EX?

And for 5.1 material, is mode 7 giving you essentially TWO left surrounds and TWO right surrounds?

Both modes sound good, but which mode is neccessarily more 'right' (I'm thinking mode 6)?

Thanks for reading! I look forward to your thoughts and opinions :)

Cheers,
Dan

Terry.P

Stunt Coordinator
Mode 6 is your best bet. For 5.1 DD sources that have a EX flag it will derive a 6th channel just like in the old pro logic days with surround. Mode 6 is preferred method for DTS ES discrete and matrix also. This seems to work the best in most situations on my Ref. 50. Mode 7 is basically double surround from what I have experienced.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I have a Reference 30 (a 307), and 6 is EX, 7 sends the same signal to both the side and rear speakers. Both speakers on the left are playing the same information, and both right speakers are playing the same information. So yes, you are correct, when you are listening to 5.1 sources in 7 mode, you are getting two sets of surrounds. In theory discs encoded in EX or ES SHOULD sound better in mode 6, while discs not encoded as such MAY sound worse. Let your ears be your guide...they will tell you which is "more right".

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys :emoji_thumbsup:

After reading your comments and staring hard at the manual some more, I understand the differences except for one question that remains: does mode 7 'bypass' EX, and instead just do the same thing it does with 5.1 DD which is dual left and dual right surrounds?

That point is confusing because DTS ES does seem to come up, even in mode 7....interesting.

One other question...do you guys prefer to use THX mode when watching movies?

Cheers,
Dan

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I wouldn't say 7 mode bypasses EX, it just isn't EX. In 6 mode, the rear speakers are sent a single mono signal, while the L and R sides are sent the discrete signals. In 7 mode the L side and L rear are sent the same discrete signal and the R side and R rear are sent the same discrete signal. The Ref 30 that i have doesn't support DTS-ES (yet) so I can't comment on it. As to THX mode, I have found that some movies sound better with it, others without. Again, let your ears decide for you.

Terry.P

Stunt Coordinator
That point is confusing because DTS ES does seem to come up, even in mode 7....interesting.
That is probably because the DTS ES source that your are playing is a true discrete 6.1. Depending on what version your 507 is, it can indicate what flavor of DTS-ES you are playing, "DTS DIS" or "DTS MTX". The receiver should process the surround backs in a 7.1 as one signal going to two speakers. DTS ES 5.1 matrix mixes and behaves very much the same way as does DD-EX. The rear channel is derived or extrapolated from the side surround signals and is not a true discrete channel.

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Adam...good points all. And THX is a subjective thing; I was just wondering what you guys think. Also cool to see a local guy on the thread :)

Terry, thank you for the further enlightenment...well explained! BTW, my 507 is version 1.03, and it does distinguish between ES discrete and matrix, and displays as such.

Cheers,
Dan

Terry.P

Stunt Coordinator
Yep, I believe that ver. 1.03 is when they started displaying the different type of DTS-ES bitstreams. I'm at ver. 1.04. I asked for the differences between 1.03 & 1.04. B&K support said "none"!! Hence, the new version 1.04 :confused:

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator
Terry, on version 1.04, from another thread, our own Donnie Eldridge, HTF member: "I just got off the phone with B&K....asked about the change from V1.03 to V1.04 . According to the tech the change was strictly done internally to THX mode and nothing that will effect an end-user or be noticed."

So, nothing you would notice anyway. :D

Cheers,
Dan

Terry.P

Stunt Coordinator
I think that the position at B&K is that ver. updates are for users that have specific problems or issues. Since updates can not be downloaded by end users they do not want or need a update frenzy just for the sake of being on the latest & greatest when only 2% of install base would actually benefit from it. If you were updated from say version 1.00 to 1.04 it would require a new controller card also which can become pricey on B&K's side. Not to mention that it has to be performed at the dealer or at B&K. I wish they would provide s/w updates over the web to end users like Athem AVM-20 does. I'm not complaining but I do like to be in control of my domain.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
B&Ks software updates are on ROM chips, so it does require a card/chip change out. Whenever they get two or three revisions ahead of what I have I have my dealer get me the upgraded chip and swap it out with mine. Takes less than 5 minutes, undo the 4 faceplate screws, undo the 4 screws holding on the top, pull out the old card containing the ROM chip, put in the new card....Presto Chango! I do backup all my settings with their PC program over a serial cable to my laptop first, and restore them after the chip changeout. Always happy to help out a local Dan!

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah Adam...the ROM updates are really easy. I happen to work for a local retailer's service dept (PM or email me if you'd like to know who) so I can get the updates done easily at work :emoji_thumbsup:

Nice system you have, BTW!!!

Cheers,
Dan

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
THX Ultra 2 in 5.1 soundtracks would be better in THX Surr 7 rather than 6 ? or no ?.....decorrelation? differant sounds from 6 & 7 speakers or would you run it in surr 6 to get it that way??????

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor
Terry is correct on this one. I'm surprised this wasn't in an earlier version.

I also know B&K is currently trying to implement another major feature in a future update with its THX modes. The tech didn't want to go into much detail, because he didn't know when it was going happen.

Terry.P

Stunt Coordinator
I also know B&K is currently trying to implement another major feature in a future update with its THX modes. The tech didn't want to go into much detail, because he didn't know when it was going happen.
Another?? What were major feature updates from past ref. 50 /507 versions? I would classify the DTS bitstream display as a minor update that has no bearing on sonics.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks