What's new

attn avr-8000 owners...logic7 question (1 Viewer)

Gregory Scott Bass

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering if anyone out there with the avr 8000 has ever experience a logic7 decoding problem while watching tv.....it hardly ever happens but it does...the symptom is the center dialog will move to the rear....if you toggle logic7 c on and off it corrects itself....it also will correct it self by it self once the sound reaches a pause in the program material. It doesnt happen enough to really consider it a problem but I was just curious if it was my unit specifically. thanks Scott
p.s. never happens on any 5.1 source

AntonS

Stunt Coordinator
It happened to me few times, always when watching cable and most often (what's strange) when it was some kind of talk show or live performance on TV. I don't remember it ever happening during a movie.

I've heard that this is normal for Logic 7 and even happens on Lexicons. It's like Logic 7 decoder gets fooled by some materials, but it happens very rarely. I would not be much concerned.

John A. Casler

Second Unit
It happened regularly to my 8000 too.

I did a processor "reset", and haven't noticed it since.

What was the manufacture date of your 8000 and where did you buy it?

Do you have any "digital" signal dropouts?

John

Gregory Scott Bass

Stunt Coordinator
my unit is a jan2002 unit, I have not had any digital drop outs and for the most part I love it, my unit does exibit the buzz others have mentioned from about 8 inches from the center speaker but its almost inaudible and does not effect the sound at all that I can discern....I did'nt even notice it till I was told to listen for it here. I do think hk should address it since it is a flagship reciever though, I actually wrote hk customer service and never recieved a response. you still can't get any where near this quality for 1200 dollars .
btw I have a carver amp and when you put your ear right up next to it there is a buzz also....really not a big deal if you have to hug your speaker to hear it :)
oh and btw Anton, thanks for your comment, that made me feel better...it seems like its always been on a talk show for me too...and maybe the rugrats a few times lol

Greg Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
It's a known problem with the logic 7 processing. Even Lexicon users experience it. SMR forums has some info on it (can't remember where). I noticed it back in February. I have a first run AVR8000, bought in Canada. A processor reset doesn't fix the problem permanently. I've also noticed it on DVD's, only on DVD extra stuff though (and only once), never during a movie. -gh

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
I finally got my 8000 hooked up and the noticed the logic 7 processing dropout to the rears a couple of times on my direct tv system, I havent noticed any dropouts on the 3 movies I have watched.

I owned a lex dc-1, dc -2 and mc-1 and never noticed the dropout on direct tv untill the avr8000. I am however at a different house,setup etc now. Also havent noticed any buzz from center channel but am using the 8000 as a pre-amp only.

In my new setup for direct tv viewing I am surprisingly using dpl11 for football, talkshows etc ... Logic 7 in my setup for football, talkshows etc. seems to be almost to much sound ??..... but for movies, some shows etc. on directv the logic 7 mode is unbeatable.

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Check your manual, if your model allows a reset it will instruct you how.

By the way the reset "did not" cure my Logic 7 problem.

John

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
I,ve been noticing weird occurences on the avr8000 when in logic 7. Center channel dialog comes out the rears and backs and fronts at times when it shouldnt. It even happened on a couple of movies too. Sometimes cycling through or turning off/on cures it and sometimes it doesnt. Sometimes the center dialog comes through front/back right side a little too much...it sounds like what a couple others here have heard but with a twist...I,ve tried the reset thing..anybody got any suggestions ?

Richard,

Im still running nhts all around. 2.9s and ac-2 up front and vs2.4s on side along with superzeros for the back. I've been thinking about getting rid of the back superzeros and getting some in ceiling nht 1.5s as I can access via attic. Also been thinking about adding 2nd svs.
Have you got your HT up and running yet ? what are you using now ?

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
John:

Nice setup - I agree about replacing the superzeroes if you can. As for my HT, my 2-year quest is finally nearing it end - this hobby requires some patience, doesn't it? Construction finally finished last week and I'm working on the final "detail" painting before I call the carpet guys. Speakers will be NHT all around, this is still my favorite rand, just love their sound.

Rich B.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks