ATTN: All Panasonic DVD-RP91 owners please respond

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert George, Jun 4, 2001.

1. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

Only current owners of the Panasonic RP91 to reply in this thread.
    There has been a problem identified that is related to the "U" picture mode setting. Some have reported that switching to the "U" mode causes the image to turn pink/red.
    If you are using the component video output, please select the "U" mode and report if you are having this problem.
    It will be very helpful if everyone using this player respond as this information will go directly to Panasonic.
    Thanks.

2. Robert George

Me first...
    Component output/progressive mode
    No red tint problem.

3. Tony Rochon

Tony Rochon Auditioning

I do have this problem with my RP91 and Sony KP-53HS10.
    When I go into the Avia color bars screen, I see Red, GRAY, and Blue bars instead of Red, Green, Blue. The bars are fine in the other modes.
    Tony

4. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

Yea Obi, I read this too. I looked at this really really close and for the life of me I can't see any pink/red tint on my U mode.
    I use Component outs but Non-Progressive.
    I flipped back & forth between all of them (C,S,F..etc) and I couldn't notice any tint issue at all. I suppose this could just be a bad batch issue, but it seems odd.
    I'm interested in hearing the outcome.
    I go tmine from Onecall.com if that's pertinent. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Ric Perrott
    [​IMG] Let's Go Devils!
    My Theater ;My DVD's

5. Alvin Lau

Alvin Lau Agent

Nope, I'm fine in all the picture modes, progressive and non-progressive via the component video outputs. I too bought my unit from Onecall (partly due to your review Obi - thanks).
    Sony STR-DB930 Mitsubishi WT-46807 Panasonic DVD-RP91N Pioneer CLD-D701 Panasonic PV-7661 Sony CDP-CE345 Adcom GDA-600 Definitive Technology ProTower 400s Definitive Technology CLR 2000 Definitive Technology PF18TL Definitive Technology BPXs BetterCables MIT Cables

6. JasonZ

JasonZ Agent

i am using the progressive scan output to a toshiba 40h80 and i most DEFINITELY HAVE THE RPOBLEM. it is totally red/pink. there is a thread going on at avsforum about this.

7. CarlV

CarlV Stunt Coordinator

I've got the pink tint in U mode using progressive output to a Mits. 55805.
    As I said on another forum, I think it had something to do with my intitailly setting up my display properties using the interlace component output.
    Carl

8. Art_Courville

Me, too. No green in U mode with progressive out through component cables to a Panasonic HDTV monitor.

9. Andrew P

Andrew P Second Unit

I definitely have the lack of green (everything looks reddish) when using any of the 'U' settings in progressive mode only.
    Andy

10. Peter_A

Peter_A Second Unit

Yep, I have the problem with a Toshiba TW40X81, connected via component and a progressive signal. It's a red tint to the picture on the N setting. But it's strange, it only seems to effect the letterboxing, ie the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen, but the blacks in the actual movie a very dark and rich. The TV has been ISF calibrated.
    ------------------
    Peter
    "If rubbin' dirt in your crotch is wrong, hey I don't wanna be right" - Futurama

11. Marc B

Marc B Auditioning

I checked for the problem today and I don't have it. I'm using component set to progressive scan into my Toshiba 40H80.

12. Henry W

Henry W Stunt Coordinator

I too bought my RP91 from onecall on May 7 and have absolutely no difficulties except with some poor source material. I use the U settings in progressive 100% of the time with a Toshiba TW56X81. The video and audio qualtiy is excellent.
    Best regards-Henry

13. Robert George

The most recent posting on AVS seem to now point to some sort of anomoly related to the initial setup of the player using interlaced mode then switching to progressive mode. I will try to find out if there is a way to delete all the disc memeory settings in the player.

14. JasonZ

JasonZ Agent

as mentioned above, i have the red tint problem but i never had the player in interlaced mode, i had it set for progressive out since go. dont know if this is relevant??? regardless, a huge thanks to obi for looking into this problem and making it his even though his unit is not flawed.

15. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    Component video
    INTERLACED mode
    NO pink tint in "U"
    The only quirk I've noticed: In Some scenes with EXTREMELY bright backgrounds, I'm seeing some "banding" of lower intensity across the screen connected to objects. For example, the menu of "Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me" has a very bright white background with those 60's/70's style flowers moving across the screen. I'm seeing what I can only describe as flickering bands of lower intensity brightness horizontally across the screen. Not sure what the deal is here.

16. Andrew P

Andrew P Second Unit

I initialized my unit and I only tried one disc afterwords(Deep Blue Sea), and the 'U' mode worked perfectly. I havent tried any other dics yet though. By the way, I purchased my unit at ecost and im using it with a Mitsubishi 65905.
    Andy

17. Christopher a

Christopher a Stunt Coordinator

Count me in as another owner who has the red/pink tint.
    chris

18. Mark McDonnell

Mark McDonnell Auditioning

Yes, I have the tint problem. RP-91D-N S/N KU1DA001866 I purchased it at ecost.com.
    While in progessive mode, when I press the "action" button and then go into audio multi-speaker setting and adjust the speaker configuration and then press the "return" button....at that point the green component of the video shuts off. It's very obvious in the color of the bars...they change from yellow to pink. Any disk in the machine at this time gets its U mode "tainted." Any "never-played" inserted immediately after this will inherit the problem. Any "never-played" disk inserted after a "good" disk is played will not inherit the problem. However, a good disk can be turned bad, by using multi-channel speaker action menu.
    This is my current theory. Troubleshooters blast away!!!
    I currently have "cleaned" two of my "tainted" disks...however the process does not seem to be very repeatable...I'm working refining it.
    To change the multi-channel speaker settings without causing the problem...just go into the action menu while in interlaced mode.

19. Mark McDonnell

Mark McDonnell Auditioning

OK...here's the empirically determined scoop with some corrections from my previous post.
    I can "taint" (make pink in U mode) a specific DVD-V or DVD-A disk by doing the following steps.
    1) Load the disk
    2) Go into the "Action" menu and proceed to the Speaker Configuration -> Multi-channel menu (the menu with the speaker graphics for large/small and delay configurations)
    3) That menu has an on-screen "Exit" button...if you DON'T select the "Exit" button, but instead push "return" on the remote (which supposedly is a valid method to exit the menu)you have just "pinked" your screen and "tainted" the current disk. If you are in progressive mode while navigating the action menu, it is obvious as the buttons change from bright yellow to pink.
    The current disk is now tainted and also any never-played disk that is immediately loaded after a tainted disk.
    How to avoid this scenario. (It hurts when I do this!)
    Always use the on-screen "exit" button to leave the speaker configuration menu ... Don't use the return button to leave that specific menu (you have to use the return button for other menus as there is no other option). It looks like there is a firmware bug where the programmer was not expecting the user to press the return button on the remote at that point...and memory gets trampled if the user does select return. You will also notice that immediately after tainting a disk the tint in the U3 menu gets set to -15. Another indicator that memory got whacked.
    How to clean tainted disks.
    Warning this procedure only does one disk at a time. (I haven't figured out how to clear all disks from memory at once.) It also defaults all "action" settings and picture offsets to factory defaults.
    1) Load the "tainted" disk.
    2) Then press stop one or two times until the display reads "STOP"
    3) Simultaneously press the rewind (skip back) button and the pause button on the unit (not the remote). While still holding those two buttons...also press and hold the drawer open button until the word "initialized" appears AND disappers from the monitor (TV) display (not the unit display).
    4) WITHOUT power cycling the unit, press the progressive button and then play the disk.
    5) Eject the disk.
    It is now clean.
    Of course, there may be other ways to taint or clean disks...but these are the only methods I've discovered so far.
    ------------------

20. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Obi, I don't seem to have the problem with my 710. I'm basing this on viewing movies (not Avia).
    Scott