What's new

ATTN ALL: King Kong Box Set With Collector's Tin, Son Of Kong, & Mighty Joe Young!!! (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Marco, email me your address and I'll mail them to you. It might be after this weekend before I can do it, just depends on when I get to the store for a mailer.

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator
Still haven't had any luck with my Warner source -- doesn't look like they'll be able to send me a set. And the way things are going right now, especially because of the holiday, doesn't look like I'll be able to find any suckers, er, wonderfully sympathetic friends, who will be able to drive me and my wheelchair the 20 miles or so to the next closest Best Buy to try yet another exchange. (For some reason, a two-seater car isn't an ideal situation for driving two people and a racing wheelchair around town).

Hmmm... gives me an idea -- maybe I should've "stood my ground" (ha ha, a pun), repeatedly smack the BB customer service rep in the leg with my wheelchair, and not stop until he opened up every set in the store and found me my postcards. Or... maybe not... (I never said it was a GOOD idea, just some wishful thinking.)

Anyway... I've got a BIG favor to ask my fellow HTF folk:

If anyone else manages to find a duplicate set of the Best Buy exclusive cards in their box -- and you would be willing to part with the extra set -- a rather irritated disabled guy who got screwed over by Best Buy would be extremely grateful and appreciative to have them. I promise to give them a good home, and will take excellent care of them.

Again, these would be the cards in the outer box, as seen in Jose's terrific pictures (not the set found inside the tin).

Of course, I'd be more than happy to reimburse you for the postage and such. if you'd like.

I hate to having to ask, but, well, I'm rather limited in my choices right now to try and rectify this problem on my own.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance you folks can provide me -- I really, really appreciate it!

Regards,

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Jeff, the ones Marco asked me for are the ones inside the tin, not the ones you are missing.

Just how badly do you want the BB cards? I could buy the set (again), open it to verify they are there, and send the entire set to you. But then you'd have bought it twice plus postage. Not a very good solution.

Why don't you email BB corporate and explain the situation and how difficult it is for you to get to their stores? Maybe they would want to make it right.

JackKay

Second Unit
Just for fun, do any of you with kids have any Playdough around (mine ate theirs up long ago)? I was wondering what an impression of the inside of the tin lid would look like.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
All I can say is... WOW.

Typical WB classy presentation. All three films look terrific (the tinted reel of MJY looks great), the extra material is excellent...

WETA did an incredible job on the Spider Pit recreation. Honestly, I couldn't tell what was original and what was newly filmed.

As for the packaging, very nice. The tin is superb and I like how the discs are in a digipak instead of an amaray. I got both sets of poster cards, so I have 10 unique ones. The program looks neat, too. However, I didn't see any proofs of purchase in the tin for the poster.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
As someone pointed out earlier, there are proofs of purchase tabs inside the digipak's slipcover. I would appreciate some guidance on removing them, though. It seems like it'll be hard to do it without tearing the slip.

Richard Matich

Stunt Coordinator
I got it at BB at 9:00 in the morning on Tuesday. The sales girl showed me where Kong was. It was on the new release rack/section. I needed to be at work nearby so I grabbed Kong [it was only in that 3 disk tin and not in any other form] and drove to work. I was careful that the set I chose was not dented or scratched in any way. Thanks Best Buy. Also thanks to Vincent P that found this! Wow!!! :D

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
WOW. :emoji_thumbsup:

The CE is a great package and mine was in great shape. I can't wait to get the poster.

Now, if the DVD presentation equals my satisfaction with the packaging...:D

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

As Paul McElligott mentioned, the slip that is tacked to the back of the Tin is exactly the same as the back cover of the digipak and has the exact same UPC code, I personally am going to use that since I don't want to bend the digipak case trying to remove the POP and I don't need two identical back covers.

Gui A

Supporting Actor
Is this set available at Canadian Best Buys? I checked the store closest to me, and I want to know if it's worth the drive to other locations to see if they have it.

Thanks!

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

I don't know what kind of drive you are talking about, try calling the stores first. I think you can check availability online too.

Is it worth it? The tin is beautiful, more than I expected, with small poster reproductions that everyone seems to like. A reduced size reproduction of the originial theatrical program is also included in the tin. If you're a fan of Mighty Joe Young, then it becomes a slam dunk (no CIA inteligence involved here).;)

I haven't discussed the KK movie itself, since that is being amply covered elsewhere, but its the best looking that I've ever seen.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks Vincent! I wouldn't have known about this if you hadn't posted your message. I went to Best Buy on Tuesday, and found the set on a table in the middle of the new area. Great set. Now I still have the collection coming from Deep Discount, which will be a Christmas gift for a relative.

MattHR

Screenwriter
Does anyone know which set of five cards were included inside the tin, and which set came as the "bonus" set with the Best Buy box set? I was just curious, since I already opened up my set and don't remember which cards were the bonus ones.

EDIT: Nevermind...I just remembered that Jose posted pics a few days ago, so I found my answer.

Ira Siegel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ira Siegel
Thanks, Vincent-P for the heads up on this good looking BB Exclusive. I ordered mine (actually 2) online and then picked them up at BB's Culver City store.

Whether you get the tin from BB or elsewhere, it is spectacular.

Be careful, folks. BB's SKU for the special box (with the tin, all the extra cards, and "Son of Kong" and "Mighty Joe Young" (as opposed to Young Skywalker)) is the same as the one used for the plain box with the three movies. The people at BB handed me the wrong boxes and then were surprised to see the same SKUs on what are two different products.

I'm saving this special treat for a night my daughter finishes her homework early.

Someone in this thread mentioned WOR-TV in NYC. Yes, WOR-TV, Channel 9, used to have "The Million Dollar Movie" on at least once (and sometimes two or three times) every day. The theme music for the show was the music from "Gone With the Wind." Typically, the same movie would be shown for the entire week, and that same movie would often be shown several weeks during the year. I sent my second copy of the BB "King Kong" Exclusive to a boyhood pal who said he saw King Kong 41 times on "The Million Dollar Movie." I bet he still knows all the dialog by heart.

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator
Well, since I had to go pick up the "Frighteners" DVD today (really… I had to!), I decided to give my local Best Buy another try at setting things right with my missing postcards.

It was an interesting experience, to say the least. After what must have been a horrifying work week for these employees — first the Xbox 360 launch, followed by Black Friday hell — they apparently have regressed to their primordial selves. It was a good thing that I was able to speak their language and communicate my needs:

BB: "Watu! Tama di? Tama di?"
(Stop! Who are you? Who are you?)

Me: Tabe! Bala kum nono hi. Bala! Bala!
(Greeting! I am your friend. Friend! Friend!)

BB: "Bala reri! Tasko! Tasko!"
(We don't want friends, Go! Get out!)

Me: Sita! DVD! DVD me pakeno!
(Look! The DVD! The DVD of gold!)

BB: "Vana di humya DVD rota na?"
(What are you doing with that DVD?)

Me:DVDs ma pakapo! Jeff wa bisa! Kow bisa para Jeff!
(The DVDs of gold! Jeff gift! A gift for Jeff.)

Dia sani na hi DVD ati?
(You give me another DVD like this?)

BB: "Tida, tida! DVDs ati rota na hi."
(No, no! Our DVDs stay with us.)

Me: Dia tebo DVD na hi! Tida postcards!
(You sell DVD to me! No postcards!)

BB: "Dama si kasi! Dama si kasi! Punya bas! Punya!"
(Stranger has seen! Stranger has seen! We are finished! Finished!)

"Mako ani Wa DVD postcards rota, O Taro Vey, Rama Jeff. Tasko!!!"
(Here is the DVD with postcards, O Mighty One, Great Jeff. Go!!!)

Pleased that I had finally gotten my way, it was time to leave before risking any potentially unpleasant incidents. But I swore I heard them say this and laugh as I was walking out:

BB: "Dulu dama ani saba Kong!"
(Tomorrow stranger will be the bride of Kong!)

Anyway, it turned out that I was easily able to exchange my KONG set for another one -- since they had received additional copies, chances were extremely good that we'd find an intact set right away. Success was had with the first box we tried -- opened it up and the postcards were all there, as was everything else.

I'm sure it sounded in my initial posting that I thought the folks at my local Best Buy were morons... that's definitely not the case. Against all odds, many of them are an intelligent, cool bunch, especially the customer service group and the managers. (Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of most of the other Best Buy's I've had the misfortune of visiting in the Los Angeles area.) So while I was annoyed that I didn't get a replacement right away, it was completely understandable -- there's only so many boxes they can open up and check!

Anyway, even better, because of all my trouble in getting a full set, I was able to ask and get a small additional favor. Since my original set was being returned to the distributor as "defective" -- never to see a customer's home again -- I asked if I could grab one of the "Proof of Purchases" from the box to send in for the KONG Poster offer, as I didn't want to damage my set. No problem -- even better, I was also given the extra Poster Certificate to send in (so I could keep my original), plus they printed out an extra return receipt for me to send it (again, so I wouldn't have to send in my original original receipt). Wow... talk about customer service! I think it's safe to say that things worked out for the best.

In any event, thanks to everyone for keeping a lookout for the duplicate postcard set for me just the same; it's very much appreciated!

Regards to all…

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks