What's new

ATTN ALL: King Kong Box Set With Collector's Tin, Son Of Kong, & Mighty Joe Young!!! (1 Viewer)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
There are no pics as yet...haven't you been checking Best Buy's site?

I have....none so far.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
There's probably no official pics from BB. The best pic I'd guess is if someone who works at Best Buy could take one of the actual package.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
>>Mark, what do you mean by "link down"?
-----
Got a "page not available" 404 warning, but I see 'tis back up...
----
well, IF they really do nclude the 2 disc KK, and SOK and MJY are each on their own disc-then it IS the best of both worlds. woo hoo!

Kain_C

Screenwriter

Maybe an employee with a camera phone. It won't look great, but at least it'll be something.

Vincent-P

Second Unit
Let me try and make this as clear as possible. This is a box set that contains the Collector's Tin 2-Disc Edition of King Kong, the single-disc edition of Son Of Kong, and the single-disc edition of Mighty Joe Young. AFAIK the Collector's Tin is the same as you could get anywhere else; in this case however, it comes with the other films, which you cannot get packaged together anywhere else. The box is big to accomodate the size of the collector's tin, which to me, was surprising large. The tin is much bigger than a regular DVD amaray case. The box is different than box sets in that the opening is in the front face rather than the side spine. The discs face out with their front covers. The box does not have any kind of slipcover, so the open face is always open. The packaging also seems to imply that it comes with more paraphanalia than is included in the normal collector's tin because it says "Best Buy Exclusive, 5 original postcards" (or something like that...I do not remember what exactly it says). I think the price sticker is marked $35.99, but it may end up being on sale, I don't know.

I cannot take pictures of this because with Thanksgiving being next week, security is tight about possibly leaking ad information and stuff like that. I like my job and do not want to chance getting in trouble. Plus, some employee from some store leaked a bunch of Xbox 360 information to gaming websites last week, so I'm being cautious.

Anybody still confused?

Seymour Uranowitz

Stunt Coordinator
Vincent, thanks for that explanation. The package includes the tin, with all its goodies, along with the other two films in their stand-alone packaging, in a single box that accommodates them all. Couldn't be clearer. I already have my pre-order on bestbuy.com. Thanks again.

Frank Ha

Second Unit
Real Name
Frank Harrison
Thanks Eric and TonyD. I've got it straight now :). And thanks to you, Vincent, for the added info.

Now that I have a clearer picture, I think I'll go for the exclusive offer from Best Buy.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
:)...I was going to mention that Vincent P was fairly clear about what this set was exactly....but I knew he would have to come back and do it again himself before some folks would calm down.;)

.....now about that bamboo case...

Mike_S

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in Toronto. Anyone know if this Best Buy exclusive will apply to the Canadian stores? Whatever version I wind up with, I'm sure it'll be awesome.

-Mike

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
DavidJ, you were asking about whether the other two films were worth having, here IMHO, is my take on them.

Son of Kong, is a sequel that attempts to capitalize on the original but fails to recreate the magic of the first film. It is still a fun watch.

Mighty Joe Young, while it may be inspired by KK, is not a sequel, and the film has a different feel to it. It is a much better film, again IMHO, than SOK. Definitely worth owning.

This is a short evaluation of of the films, not the DVDs. BTW, I will be buying this new BB box set.

Jim Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't seen Son of Kong in over a decade. I barley remember it I would love to see it again. Mighty Joe Young is a good movie that I look forward to owning. The original Kong is definutly the best.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I was just reading the review over at the Digital Bits and noticed their review included this comment about the commentary:

They seem to be pleased with the commentary, while I've read here at the HTF that the commentary is very disappointing. Anyone else who has heard the commentary care to comment?

The review also mentions that in the 2-hour doc, we see the results of Peter Jacksons efforts to recreate the spider sequence and also mentioned that they also created a Kong puppet and animated it. This is the first I've heard of them animating Kong.

I don't believe they were talking about the original Kong "skeleton" that was brought to Jackson (by Bob Burns?) which they animated a little.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
For those in Canada: as best I can find out, BB (and FS) is not offering the same 3 movie set with tinned KK. It is not advertised (indeed, the KK movies are not "highlighted" at all in this weeks releases in the flyers), and someone I know looked through the local BB stockroom JIC and these special packages were not noted. Lots of Xboxes *were* noted... Maybe they're at the BB/FS main warehouse?? To come out next week? An in-store warehouse check didn't indicate anything that sounds like it, so seems we're SOL.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Saw the package today. It is just as Vincent described. It's big, so those of you with limited storage may be a little irate. We seem to be getting alot more of that special package than the regular one.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Kain, what was the sticker price on the one you saw? I'm trying to guage if the in store price will be the same as the on line price.

Thanks much.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks