What's new

ATTN AC/Ground loop experts! (1 Viewer)

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
I just moved and waited almost 3 months for my new set, finishing up construction and installing 3 dedicated 20amp ac lines to my HT set up. Here is how I have them hooked up:

1 outlet - ATI 5 channel AMP

1 outlet - Monster HTS5000 surge/power conditioner

1 outlet - 2nd Monster HTS5000

The speakers "hum" when I have the amp on and without one of the Monster HTS5000's plugged into the second outlet (still hums if plugged into 3rd outlet)

When I turn on my PREAMP the HUM gets much louder unless the volume is turned completely down. The hum stays consistend regardless of how much I turn the volume.

I remember that my electrician ran three dedicated lines when doing the install, but I seemed to remember that he indicated that he was going to share one of the "hot" wires between outlets 2 & 3 (not outlet #1 where the amp is plugged into)

Any ideas on how to eliminate this problem would be very much appreciated.

Elbert

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
after doing some research, I realized that my CATV is plugged into one of the HTS5000 CATV filters, which, in turn, is plugged into one of the outlets. After unplugging the COAX Cable, the hum disappeared. Now it looks like I'll have to purchase a CATV ground loop isolator. Heard that Mondial seems to have the best rep/press in the HT community. Any ideas on where to order one cheap?

Elbert

MarkDesMarais

Stunt Coordinator
Well, you can try the cheap way, if you want- take a couple of coax-300ohm converters, tie the 300ohm ends together and plug in. . . you'll need a male to male coax too.

Markd

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks