attic antennae

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PatrickD, Jun 17, 2001.

1. PatrickD

PatrickD Auditioning

It seems foolish to keep cable just to receive local channels . Does anyone know any alternatives other than an attic antennae. If not, got any recs for specific brand, type etc.? Thanks
    Patrick

2. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

What DBS service are you using and why aren't they providing local channels? Congress passed a law several months ago allowing local channels on DBS.
    Bill
    ------------------

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Patrick,
    Trywww.antennaweb.org to determine the type (unidirectional/omni-directoinal) of antenna that you need. At my old house, I had good luck with an RCA omni mounted high in my attic.
    Bill,
    DBS providers have been carrying local into local (LIL) for a couple of years now. The only problem is that they are only serving some of the larger markets. The only law that has recently been passed is the "must carry" law that kicks in Jan 1, 2002. If a DBS provider has LIL for a market, then they must carry (if an agreement can be reached) all channels in that market that request to be carried. This hurts both Dish and Direct by cramming even more channels on to already limited transponder space.
    -Robert

4. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Robert,
    I'm not trying to be argumentative, so please don't take it that way. I'm just trying to gather some information. Here's my questions:
    The local NBC channel for me (KRON in San Francisco) is unavailable through Dish Network because NBC refuses to provide the channel to Dish Network on resonable terms (according to the news athttp://www.dishnetwork.com/content/p...cals/shutdown/ ). This page says that they believe NBC is violating federal law by not making the channel available. If this is the case, what federal law would they be breaking?
    Second, Dish Network says they are fighting this and doing everything they can to provide the local channels. If this "must carry" law is a burden to DBS providers, why would Dish even bother?
    Thanks,
    Bill
    ------------------

5. AlSalerno

AlSalerno Auditioning

Try the TERK TV55 it recieves HDTV, DTV and regular TV. You can run it outside (its weather proof)or hang it in the attic then get a duplex splitter which combines with DBS signals to one connection. I got mine fromwww.jandr.com for under 100 bucks. (Make sure you ask them if its the best price they can do, thats how they lower it)
    You can check them out atwww.terk.com
    And even check which model you need by typing in your address, it will tell you what signals can be picked up in that area. And where to point the antenna.
    http://www.terk.com/tv/antwebframe.html
    Good Luck!!!

6. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Patrick,
    Another option is Radio Shack. Some of them carry antennas designed specifically for your area. They are the older looking metal ones that will fail the spouse approval test so make sure you have enough room in your attic.
    Bill,
    I know a lot of people atwww.dbsforums.com are upset about KRON but I'm not sure what federal law Dish thinks they are breaking.
    Not getting the big 4 networks is the biggest reason people don't buy DBS systems. The Satellite Home Viewers Act (SHVA I think) blocked the national feeds from being broadcast into local markets. The local networks were losing advertising revenue. The only other option was Local Into Local (LIL). This was fine until the smaller stations started to complain that they wanted to be carried. I think it is a waste of bandwith to re-broadcast these stations that only a hand full of people will be watching.
    -Robert