What's new

ATTENTION WARNER BROS. reconsider these titles (1 Viewer)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I wish WB would reconsider some of the sets they've already issued. As in re-do them.

For example, THE PETRIFIED FOREST should be paired with the remake Bogart produced in 1956 for live television. Lauren Bacall replaced Bette Davis and Henry Fonda replaced Leslie Howard. I understand a kinescope survives in good quality, and that it's more like the original theatrical play than the film, although I've never seen it. Get Bacall to do a commentary on the teleplay, and hurry up about while she's still with us. Just think of it: a lost Bogart performance that re-unites him with Bacall. It's really their 5th film together. It's also a chance to see Hollywood's greatest actor re-invent one of his greatest roles. Who wouldn't want to see that?

I read somewhere on this message board that THE MALTESE FALCON had a Spanish-language counterpart filmed simultaneously. This is exciting news. I never knew that. I'm dying of curiosity to see it. Who's in it? Who directed it? Did they try to better it like the crew on Dracula? Naturally it should be included with John Huston's classic so that we can compare them, if it survives in adequate quality -- or even if it doesn't -- but if it survives in adequate quality, there's no excuse for omitting it. I can't muster up much excitement for the two earlier versions -- let them be a double-feature DVD unto itself, or consign them to TCM. It's the Spanish language counterpart that matters here.

I would like to see Robert Altman's THE LONG GOODBYE re-released with three additional supplements. First, an interview with the director in which he is pressed to explain why he regards the genre, the author of the book, and his audience with such contempt. Second, a kinescope of Dick Powell's live teleplay of THE LONG GOODBYE from the early 1950s, with Powell playing private-eye Philip Marlowe for the second time. Third, a CD-ROM feature offering Leigh Brackett's original screenplay, so that we can compare it to how Altman shot it.

And while you're at it, make THE DEVILS and the preview version of ALTERED STATES the most urgent priority in the home video department. No other titles in your back-catalogue are as hotly wanted by consumers as these two legendary Ken Russell films.

C'mon Warner Brothers.
Let's start using some imagination.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

In my opinion, WB uses more imagination than most other studios combined.

...and FYI...WB doesn't own the kinescope version of THE PETRIFIED FOREST. It's owned by a company that owns the rights to the original Producer's Showcase kinescopes. I believe that company has a website dealing with their holdings of television programming.

Also, it would be very hard for Warner Bros. to release THE LONG GOODBYE...It's a United Artists film, distributed for MGM (which owns the UA library) through Sony.

Lastly, only a handful of foreign language versions of early talkies survive, and the 1931 MALTESE FALCON isn't one of them, to my knowledge. I'm very much looking forward to their release of all three versions of the Hammett story.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Much as I'd love to see what you ask for, The Long Goodbye is still owned by Sony/MGM.

And you're right about both Russell films, Kuddly Ken isn't getting any younger either...

M

Member 323668

WB should seriously consider releasing "Land of the Pharaohs" from Howard Hawks and "Still of the Night" with Scheider/Streep.

Jacqui

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacqui
Glad Fox is re-issuing a SE of the Towering Inferno as opposed to Warner's original barebones disc.

In regards to Warner Brothers, they put more thought into their releases than say Paramount. My favourite movie is Hud, and although the transfer is perfect, there are absolutely no special features. It is an important movie in the context of American cinema, so this particular film deserves a nice release.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I don't know why a film should have a second release just to include a TV adaptation. WB just released the Gangsters set in 2004, so why do they need to re-do them just to include some fluff? WB even mentioned that SE's without a real purpose aren't worth doing yet. I could name a few titles I'd like to see more work done in the extras department, but it can wait for HD.

Also, I'd imagine the Spanish-language Maltese Falcon isn't much to speak about... the Spanish Dracula is only on video because it's a great film by itself.

Fox released the original bare-bones disc, too. WB only has non-American rights.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I completely missed the chat last week, but I was hoping someone would have made mention of "Moving" starring Richard Pryor. I've wanted that on DVD for as long as I can remember. The old VHS tape is getting pretty worn. lol

But yeah, Warner is doing an amazing job with their releases. I agree that they put more thought into what they put out than any other studio. They know how to get people chomping at the bit for their releases. I for one am ecstatic about the "Superman" set and the "Grumpy/Grumpier Old Men" set. Not to mention "Ace Ventura" in its OAR.........finally.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
re: "First, an interview with the director in which he is PRESSED to explain why he regards the genre, the author of the book, and his audience with such contempt"

Yeah, Richard, thats a great way to get a director's participation on a DVD. FORCE him to tell us. Maybe they can put Altman on the rack if he refuses to impart the information. As a member of Altman's audience, I never felt regarded with contempt but hey, that's just me. After all, it wasn't Chandler's Long Goodbye, it was Altman's Long Goodbye.

KieranO'C

Agent

Yeah...good luck with that. Altman is well known as being a bit of a grumpy old so-and-so at the best of times.:D

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
...and BILLY BUDD (1962), an Allied Artists near-masterpiece with Terence Stamp, Robert Ryan and Peter Ustinov, who also directed. P-L-E-A-S-E!

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Richard, the Spanish language FALCON is an alternate filming of the 1931 version, NOT the Huston classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks