What's new

Attention Walmart! (1 Viewer)

Frank

Stunt Coordinator
Whats J6P gonna do when everyone has a 1:78 TV
That would never happen.
We will have laser based systems without fixed aperture ratios. :)
I failed to mention that this player needs to use all the anamorphic lines of resolution when displaying a 16:9 ratio on a 4:3 display. It would just crop 25 percent off the sides. The simple zoom on the Toshiba players doesn't do this.
Of course, it could be set to operate like a conventional player also at the push of a button.
Frank

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I think they should have a second version of the movie, just for J6P's. Get rid of the features since they are not into that anyway. Get rid of any menus and have it start right at the commercials, then the movie. We could even make it easy for them by putting it on an analog format (digital is often times too complicated anyway). Heck, we could even put it on an analog tape device and be able to play it on any VCR. That way, they won't have to spend money on another player.
There, problem solved!!!
------------------
Link Removed
15354t.jpg

------------------
My Favourite Movie

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
If you select 4:3 it will zoom in on the picture to get rid of the black bars on DVDs that have this feature encoded.
DVD manufacturer's should consider using this feature more often.
Agreed this feature could see more use. Problem is that, as another poster said, it won't work for anything other than a 1.78:1 anamorphic transfer source. Also, most P/S transfers (ala Willy Wonka) utilize a fair degree of "open matting" which adds vertical picture to minimize L/R cropping...obviously in that case you need a whole different P/S transfer along side the 16x9 WS transfer if you want to do both.
J6Ps that I've seen at Best buy love to stop and stare at the HDTV images--even when it's just turtles sitting on log on PBS. I've seen good DVD on the pioneer HDTV with its *great* 3-2 line doubler and it looks nearly HD-in quality when playing DVD! If a 16x9 TV like this was playing ToyStory at Walmart I gaurantee you that J6P would start to think WS was cool.
-dave

Andy Kim

Second Unit
Samsung actually has a player that has this feature. It will remove the black bars on the top and bottom I presume by some kind of zoom technique. Its review was in Sound and Vision Magazine...I can't remember which issue but it was probably within the last few months.

NathanP

Supporting Actor
My Dad can't stand Walmart.. and they just constructed one less then a mile from our house.. He calls Walmart "Idiot Land"
Can't say I blame him, although I prefer "Rednecks R Us"
Nathan
------------------
"Um, ER, uh, No, it's not a bedroom HT, I just love it so much, I sleep in it."
"Okay look, the St. Louis Rams rule, everyone else sucks, so sit down and shutup!"

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Frank,
What about BEFORE "We will have laser based systems without fixed aperture ratios"
biggrin.gif

------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung

Frank

Stunt Coordinator
quote: What about BEFORE "We will have laser based systems without fixed aperture ratios" [/quote]
Before that, we will continue to have a smorgasbord of technologies with differing aspect ratios.
The standard aspect ratio of HDTV is 16:9 but it's still 4:3 for computers and sad old NTSC.
Also, almost no movies are made to the 16:9 ratio.
The $99.99 Walmart Black Bar Eliminator needs to eliminate the black bars whether on the top, bottom or sides and it could even do this with 16:9 displays.
Frank
[Edited last by Frank on October 11, 2001 at 11:50 AM]

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
double
------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung
[Edited last by JonZ on October 11, 2001 at 12:40 PM]

Frank

Stunt Coordinator
JonZ wrote in a post that has since disapeared:
Its been awhiole since Ive read a HT mag, I just might not be remembering-wouldnt bars on the side be neccessary for a 1:78 to show say Archie Bunker,F Troop or anything filmed in 4:3
Not if the player crops 6 1/4 percent off the top and bottom and stretches the image 12 1/2 percent on the horizontal axis. JSP would never notice.
Frank

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks