What's new

attention vanoucver/lower mainland residents! (1 Viewer)

Jonathan T.

Stunt Coordinator
Where can I find decent speaker stands? By decent I mean, heavy, sand fillable, cat proof, clumsy person proof speaker stands? There are tons available online, but none of these places ship to canada.

I have been to Future Shop, Best buy, A And B, The Brick, and a basically every place I can find it Langley, so I will probably have to head elsewhere to find some.

I considered bulding some, but I really am not very handy....

Jonathan T.

Stunt Coordinator
wow, not one single reply. damn.

So I spent the entire moring driving around looking for decent speaker stands, aand found none. I must have been in ten stores. WHy doesn't anyone stock good quality HEAVY speaker stands? The absolute best I could find were some el cheapo Quest metal tube things, that teeterd and tottered with the JBL northridge e30s that were displayed on them. Since my speaker are about the same size and weight....

All I need are some basic HEAVY cat proof speaker stands. None of the online companies will ship to canada, and I really do not feel confident to build stands, even if I did own some tools, which I don't.

Ryan_McG

Grip
Hello there,

I just purchased the following stands:

futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=2&sku_id=0665000FS10022738&catid=10015&newdeptid=2#

This site does not allow URL's until you have 15 posts, and it just erased my first response to you. Very nice!!!

Anyway, they rock, totally ready to be sand filled and are cat proof, they stand 24 inches and are very solid and stable. I have 2 Athena AS-B1's on them and it works great!

Good Luck!

Jonathan T.

Stunt Coordinator
hmm, those might be suitable. I was in future shop and I did not see them there, but apparently they are in stock.

I'll go check them out, thanks!

Jonathan T.

Stunt Coordinator
whats the price range on thse premier stands? It's a bit of a drive out for me to the local dealer, so i want to know if they are in my price rnage before i head out.

Jonathan T.

Stunt Coordinator
well i went to future shop and picked up the b-techs. Was a little skeptical once I saw how narrow the tubes were, but that the hell, i figured id give em a try since they were the least bad stands I had seen so far.

Got them home, poured sand in them, and....

...they teetered like crazy with my speaker on the with only a slight touch. No way in hell I'd trust these stands with anyting ore than a large sattelite or SMALL bookshelf speaker. If my cat jumped on to my speaker even once (and SHE WILL) my speaker would hit the floor. So back to the store they go tomorrow.

I'll try and get out to see those premier stands, but honeslty from the pics they dont look much different that the b-techs. I think I'm gonna have to build the stands after all, seems like when it come to speaker stands you have to do it yourself if you want anything decent.

Jason GT

Second Unit
FS isn't the best place to go if you're looking for hardcore audio equipment. Try some of the specialty retailers in Vancouver - I can't help you out with Langley specifically though.

The problem is that "high end" stands often are quite expensive - if you DIY you can probably save money while getting a better product - assuming that you're competent with metal, of course.

Want used?

Try the Buy and Sell or canuckaudiomart.com.

Jonathan T.

Stunt Coordinator

Quite aware, only went back there at the suggestion of the poster in this thread :)

I've totaly given up on finding good quality stable store bought stands, I think they just don't exist. I think also that people's definition of stable must me different than mine. Maybe they don't have pets? In any case the speaker need to withstand a bull in a chinca shop.

I'd get started building them, which I think I can do, problem is I don't own any tools, so I would have to factor that into my cost.

LeoL

Auditioning
I've seen some decent looking stands around in some audio shops for around $100. If you're in the area, I think the IDW Hi-Fi shop in Kerrisdale had some.

Otherwise, I built a bunch of TNT stubbies (design from the TNT Audio site) which are about as simple as you can get. You can get Home Depot/Rona to do most of the cutting for you and then all you'll need is a drill and some wrenches. These stands cost me about $20 dollars each in supplies. Give them a broad base, fill the pipes with sand and stick the speakers on with blue tak and so far they've survived my 3yr old.

Ryan_McG

Grip

They teetered huh? Wow that is very surprising. Mine are perfectly stable. I mean could literally push them quite hard and barely any movement. I have them on hardwood with the spikes on to level them evenly, and placed small rubber feet from home depot under them to protect the floor.

If these don't work for you I really think you may need to go in around the $200-250 price range to get something that is more heavy duty. You may want to look at these:

axiomaudio.com/fms24.html

quite a bit more expensive but possibly heavier.

I apologize that I recommended the b-techs and they did not work out for you. Hope you find something that works well for your application.

Jonathan T.

Stunt Coordinator

No need to apoligize, ryan, you can't possibly have known!

I tired pushing on them and they teetered quite easilly, even filled with sand. It's just made me super nervous.

I need something heavy that doesn't move at all unless..

Hmm, buying speaker stands is a lot like trying to find a christmas tree stand that was actually built to hold a nromal sized trunk...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks