Attention Toshiba 32a41 owners - The squeeze can be done!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Barry BB, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Barry BB

Barry BB Stunt Coordinator

There was a recent thread asking if the Toshiba 32A41 does the anamorphic squeeze. Since I own this TV I knew that it did not, however there was a link posted by someone in that thread - http://gregl.net/videophile/16x9on4x3.htm - that gave very good and clear instructions on how to do it in the service menu. Well despite my nervousness on doing something nasty in the service menu I decided to be brave and try it.
    I'd like to report that it is very easy to do and if you go slow and write down the default settings there is no harm done to the TV. The resolution difference is quite noticeable. I used the dinasour in TS 2 as a comparison and in the squeeze mode you can definitely notice the detail in his skin.
    Despite my TV being less than a year old I was actually considering buying a new one because I knew that I was losing out on resolution. But now in less than 30 seconds I can get the detail that I knew I was missing.
    I am not handy when it comes to technical stuff so believe me if I can do it without screwing up then anyone can. So if you have a TV that can do the squeeze in the service menu then I recommend that you do it. You will be pleased with what you see.
    If any 32A41 owners do this the only setting that I changed was HIT to a value of 0AH. In the link that I referenced it said that you may need to change the DPC setting if you noticed any distortion. Using the THX logo display screen on TS 2 the frame was not quite square so I adjusted the DPC until the frame looked square and came up with a setting of 06H. If someone tries this and comes up with a different setting please post so that I can compare my settings with what you find yours to be.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Word of caution, however: Do exactly as Barry says and write down every last value. And there is a gentleman here by name of Matt who would very much love to click on that link. But be careful.

3. parin_patel

parin_patel Stunt Coordinator

Well I went through that website and was able to set up the anamorphic squeeze on my Toshiba 32A40 (year 2000 model) TV. As Barry reported, it was very easy to do. I wrote down every original value on the service menu and then made adjustments using this scene on the Toy Story 2 DVD as a reference.
    I changed the HIT setting from 1DH to 0CH at first. Then I went into the Video section of the THX Optimode calibration tools on the disc. Using the 16x9 video test, I changed DPC from 0EH to 06H, VPOS from 04H to 05H, and HPOS from 18H to 16H. I went back to the dinosaur scene to verified that the height setting was still good.
    Anyway, the difference is very apparent. In the dinosaur/Buzz Lightyear scene I mentioned above, the detail on the dinaosaur's skin was much better, and the helmet that he's wearing has much sharper edges as well. The scan lines are also much harder to distinguish and overall the image just looks more solid. I think after a while it'll be hard to go back to regular letterbox mode after seeing movies in anamorphic squeeze mode.
    Anyone who has the 2000 (32A40) or 2001 (32A41) models of the Toshiba TV should be able to do this as well. Once you've figured out the settings, it should only take a minute to switch between letterbox and anamorphic squeeze mode.
    Thanks to HTF and Barry for the info. This forum rocks!
    Parin

4. Barry BB

First off as Jack says write down every default setting even though only a few need to be changed. This way if you accidentally change a setting then you will know where to put it back. It is this warning that made me hesitant to go into the service menu but with the proper care and attention to what you are doing it is not a difficult task.

Parin, considering that the 32A40 and 32A41 are essentially the same television I'm surprised that your HIT and DPC default setting is different than mine. Mine was HIT - 1BH and DPC - 0CH. I guess that is further proof that you need to be sure that you note the default settings and that you can't go by someone else's settings.

Can you tell me what changing the VPOS and HPOS settings did

for you? I did not change mine and I'm wondering if I need to play around with those settings. Also what is the calibration disc that you used? All I have is Avia and as far as I know there is not a 16X9 calibration tool.

I'm glad to see that my post was useful to you.

5. parin_patel

parin_patel Stunt Coordinator

Barry, THX optimode is a pretty simple tool found on a lot of DVD's; like Toy Story 2, Fantasia 2000, Fight Club, Terminator 2, The Phantom Menace, Atlantis, etc... One of it's tests (16:9 display mode where it shows a rectangular box with a circle inside it) turned out to be useful for me, but it's not a full fledged calibration tool like Avia or VE.

Initially I had only changed the HIT setting and the picture looked fine to me. However, when I was going through the THX Optimode Video Tests, the box in the 16:9 display test did not look rectangular. The corners seemed to be out of shape, so I changed the DPC setting until it looked like a perfect rectangle. It is interesting how we both changed this setting to 06H, even though we started out at different values.

After making this change, I also noticed that the box was a little shifted to the right. So I looked through the service menu and found that VPOS and HPOS were the settings I was looking for. They stand for vertical and horizontal position, or at least that's what changing those settings accomplished. So in the end after making all the changes, I got the box to look like the perfect rectangle, the circle inside it to look like a perfect cirle, and everything properly centered on the screen.

Anyway, the warning on that site had also kept me from messing around with my service menu for a while. Your post did help (thanks again) and I knew that I had to try this out after reading about your experience. Anyone who has a year 2000 or 2001 Toshiba TV should also try this out. Just be very sure to write down the default values for every setting in the service menu before changing anything; there is no undo or restore default option in case you make a mistake. Once you've made the changes, the difference in picture quality is very apparent, and is probably the best you can get until you get a progressive scan TV.

Parin

6. Barry BB

The warnings that I kept reading about if you go into the service menu kept me from trying this. But I was pretty close to deciding that I was going to buy another TV that did the squeeze. So I figured that since I was thinking of buying a new TV then if I did anything in the service menu that trashed my TV it would not be a catastrophe. But now I can hold off on buying a new TV for awhile. The warnings are necessary because carelessness will cause you problems. But once I saw how easy it was I knew that I had to post my experience to try and let others know that it can be easily done with proper care.

Initially I did not change my DPC setting. But then I noticed that the blue border frame in the THX logo was not as square as it should be so that's what I used as a guide for changing my setting. I'll have to check out the THX optimode on one of my discs and see if I need to adjust VPOS and HPOS. Thanks for the tip.

7. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

Do you change the settings each time you watch a movie? Meaning you go back to "default" settings for TV and change the other settings for movies?

If so did you follow the steps for anamorphic DVD and then one for non anamorphic DVD?

8. Barry BB

Allen

For regular TV you have to change back to the default settings or else your 4:3 picture will not display correctly. When you want to watch a DVD then you'll have to go into the service menu and change the settings to do your squeeze.

It will take you no more than a minute to do this once you have initially figured out where your settings have to be. So it really is not a big deal to have to do this every time (at least I don't think it's a big deal).

And although mentioned numerous times it can't be emphasized enough - Write down ALL of your default settings before changing anything in the service menu and keep your hands off of the volume control until you are sure that you have noted the defaults.

9. Matthew Furtek

Matthew Furtek Stunt Coordinator

Hello Everyone,

I did this myself on my Toshiba 32A41. I guess it looked better... I couldn't tell (didn't have time to watch closely).

I had a question... it looked like there were some grey anomalies at the bottom of the new picture frame (the squeezed one) when I was watching. What is up with these? Can I get rid of them with more settings or do I need to make some mattes for my TV?

Matthew Furtek

10. Barry BB

Matthew

I'll give this a shot to explain but someone else may need to come to the rescue with a better explanation.

When you "squeeze" your picture area you now have two "bars". The very top and bottom is now simply the unscanned black area of the CRT. The inner bars are the video black of the still scanned video transfer. If you have your brightness properly set those inner bars should kind of blend in with the unscanned black area.

I did not see a noticeable problem with mine but when I got my TV I spent some time calibrating the video using Avia. So break out your copy of Avia or Video Essentials and play around with the video calibration that adjusts brightness. You may need to play with the brightness setting until the black and gray bars almost blend in together. It probably won't be perfect but it should blend in close enough so that it is not very noticeable.

If you can't get it the way you would like it to be then you will have to decide if the increased resolution is worth the trade off.

11. JeffP

JeffP Auditioning

I've done this on my 27AF41 and it looks amazing. I have to change the HIT from like 35 down to 1f, and the DPC down to 1e. So different sets are set differently. It looks amazing though, I find it hard to watch in non-anamorphic now.

12. Matt Krapf

Matt Krapf Stunt Coordinator

There's more than one Matt in this forum, for sure.
    I...for one...am SO HAPPY to see this thread.
    If I weren't so tired right now, I'd try this myself.
    I'm going to wait until tomorrow though. Because my buddy will be hanging out. He'll be an objective sanity check.
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again. "The HTF RULES!"
    Thanks, thank you, Merci, Danke, Grassy-Ass(jk)[​IMG], I appreciate this forum and YOU GUYS in this thread.
    Now...I'm going to bed.

13. Rick Guynn

Rick Guynn Second Unit

Just so you know.. this can be done with older models as well. I have a 3-year old (I think) 36" Cinema-series that I bought the service manual for as soon as I got the set. I played around with the squueze trick and I was impressed by the extra resolution. I was also bothered by the noticeable 'unscanned' areas. The primary problem with getting rid of these is the auto-contrast (I know that's not the proper name for it) feature in the picture circuitry. I noticed this when calibrating with Video Essentials way back when. Essentially, it means the black level does not stay a constant value.

I actually found that the extra resolution was not worth the hassle of changing the service menu parameters every time I wanted to watch a DVD. But, YMMV.

Rick

14. Matthew Furtek

Matthew Furtek Stunt Coordinator

I was wondering if other people with this specific model see the unscanned lines when they do the squeeze trick and if they did how did they deal with it? Perhaps I need to be setting more than one parameter?

Oh well, haven't had time to watch one thing in anamorphic on my screen. Probably won't until early June.

Matthew Furtek

15. Matt Krapf

Well, I've done the squeeze trick. It's real easy.

It'd be great if there was justa toggle in the menu, or on the remote, but maybe they'll put it in this season's models.

I get unscanned lines at the bottom of my field, when squeezing. If someone can advise how to eliminate that it would be great.

In the meantime, I'm trying to figure out the optimal settings to let me ONLY have to adjust the HIT(squeeze) parameter back and forth.

My factory settings require/d me to do a number of adjustments to center the image and reduce the 10%OverScan.

I'm narrowing it down, and will be happy to share the settings I use, if anyone wants them.

16. Barry BB

I would like to see you post your final settings. Thanks.

17. Matt Krapf

I'll post my settings tonight maybe. Been busy.

18. Matt Krapf

Okay. I'm going to post twice. First with my ORIGINAL settings.

BCUT 66H

GCUT 45H

RCUT 94H

PBRT 0DH

PHUE 09H

PCOL 91H

SAVC 1BH

SPEC 26H

WBAN 1CH

STRF 16H

STVC 1BH

ATT 1FH

DAC 03H

VFC 0FH

HCP 00H

TRAP 06H

CNR 04H

DPC 0DH

WID 19H

VCP 03H

VPS 1BH

VSC 03H

LIN 08H

HIT 1DH

VPOS 04H

HPOS 16H

TNTC 45H

COLC 3DH

BRTC 42H

SCNT 09H

BDRV 4FH

GDRV 40H

Now, it should be noted that these are my ORIGINAL settings.

These settings gave me a questionable picture geometry out of the box.

My next post will illustrate what changes I make/made.

19. Matt Krapf

These are the NEW settings I use/d.

The improve my OVERALL picture. I don't change these.

TRAP 1CH

CNR 03H

WID 13H

LIN 03H

VPOS 04H

BRTC 40H

SCNT 06H

For the SQUEEZE, I do this:

HIT 0CH

DPC 06H

VPOS 05H

This is what I do. It MAY work well for you, and I hope so.

Cheers,

Matt

20. Greer_R

Greer_R Agent

my complaint about the 32a41 is the lack of front av inputs on the non flat screen variety....though at the price best buy has, I don't think it will deter me from purchasing

-Greer