Attention: SonoTube Sub Builders

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Pawlowski, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Dan Pawlowski

Dan Pawlowski Stunt Coordinator

I need advise.

I am building a sonotube sub and it just occurred to be that most if not all glue will not stick to the wax covering found inside the walls of a sonotube.

So:

What type of adhesive did you use to fixate the MDF endcaps to sides of the sonotube??

Dan

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

The endcaps in a tube sub represent a pretty static load. If they are a good tight fit and sealed with a good caulk then no problems.

In the several tube subs I've built I used Alex siliconized acrylic caulk. It works quite well

3. Dan Pawlowski

Dan Pawlowski Stunt Coordinator

Thomas, Thanks for the reply

Dan

4. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

I used 1.5" thick mdf plugs with another 3/4" top cap. I then clamped all of them together and drilled three holes at the edge so I could clamp them down with threaded rod. I cut the plugs about 1/16" bigger(or even less) so the plugs would be pressure fitted.

I then used bolts and washers at the top and bottom. The washers had a metal top and a rubber bottom that were slightly bowed so when tighten down they produced a seal. I also affixed the base plate with the threaded rod and some 4" plastic spacers.

I went to a local carpet shop and bought some cheap foam for 6 bucks and lined the interior and exterior with foam using spray adhesive. I sealed all inside edges with sealant. got a black sock, painted my endcaps with some textured paint and sawed off the threaded rod flush to the bolt. I have a BP1503 in it and have not had a problem.

5. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit

Just use some 60 grit sand paper on it and any adhesive will work.
    I used some stuff made by loctite at Target and it stuck with no issues at all.