Attention Ricky K.....Speaker mod ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ches Campbell, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Ches Campbell

Ches Campbell Stunt Coordinator

Hey ricky,
    I just got my Teacs in and was just wondering how you got the subwoofer out in order to put the fibeglass fill in. I could not get the sub or plate amp off. It is really frutrating. Your help is really appreciated.
    Thanks,,
    Ches

2. Ricky_K

Ricky_K Extra

I just took out the srews surrounding the amp and the amp came right off. There might be some glue, try using more force to pry the amp off the cabinet. Maybe use a flat head screwdriver. But becareful, you don't wanna break anything [​IMG]

3. Ricky_K

Ricky_K Extra

oh yea, check out my page on the Teac mod again. I have a new illustration of how to polyfill the subwoofer. [​IMG]

4. Ches Campbell

I'll be sure and check it out. I figured out how to get the subwoofer out right after I made this post. I pried the grill off and removed the woofer itself.
    Later

5. Ricky_K

Ricky_K Extra

the grill comes off? Is it only held on by glue?

6. Ches Campbell

It is held on with four little peg type things. THey might have a little glue on them, but the grill definately comes off. Just use a flat head screw driver and pry it off. I reccomend you do it becasue the speaker is only held in with 4 screws, enev though there ae holes for 8. I went and put the extra 4 more in it. Also, i think I am gona upgrade its speaker wire also. It is too thin for a 100 watt subwoofer. Actually, since I got thse so cheap, I think I am gonna go out and by a better eight inch sub (probably a JL car audio sub) and replace the teac one. Maybe this will make it cleaner and louder. FYI, the sub is 4 ohm.
    Oh yeah, how did you take the plate amp off without pulling out the wires for the knob on the front of the sub? When I opnened mine up it looked like those wires were pretty tight in there. I want to take the amp off so I can solder some new speaker wire on it.
    I put the polyfil in it and it did help a little. I also put some silicon on the seams. SO far I am happy for the price i paid.
    Later

7. Ricky_K

Ricky_K Extra

yup...the sub is indeed 4ohm. I just disconnected all the wires and the amp came right out. I thought about replacing the speaker wires in the sub...but those wires are soldered onto the circuit board [​IMG] Gotta be more careful. [​IMG]

8. Ches Campbell

I just upgraded the wire in one of the satellites to 16 gauge. Solering was no sweat. Actually pretty easy. I definately noticed it had less hiss. Thanks for giving me these good ideas, man.
    Later

9. Ricky_K

Ricky_K Extra

doh! [​IMG] I broke two of the pegs on the grill....oh well. Did you manage to change the speaker wires in the subwoofer?

10. Ches Campbell

That stinks. Well, the grill isn't really necessary any way.
    I haven't tried to change the sub wires yet. I haven't had time. But I will try sometime this week.
    Later