Attention Philadelphia Residents

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Kyle Tippett, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Kyle Tippett

Kyle Tippett Stunt Coordinator

I am going to Philly this weekend to visit a friend. What are the dvd buying hot spots in the city? i know that TLA sells some stuff, and i have been to the TOWER there, but that is always a disappointment. Any of you locals know where to go? please let me know. (it doesnt have to be imports of course, just a good selection)

Thanks
    Kyle

2. Andy_G

Andy_G Stunt Coordinator

Sadly, Philadelphia is something of a backwater. You won't find an exciting selection here.

3. Kyle Tippett

Don't tell me that, because the other place i am going with my time off is Gettysburg(sp?) and i am sure to find less there, so i disnt even mention it. When i was in Chinatown in Philly last season, there was a book store that had some HK releases, which was exciting, but i figure the city has to have at least one store that is better than tower for, as i said, even just good Region 1 stuff.

Ps. To the Moderators, if by tomarrow afternoon i dont get mauch help here, i might re-post at the Software forum. Please dont be mad, you can even re-direct if you like.

4. Brett C

Brett C Second Unit

Do you remember the name of the bookstore or where its near in chinatown? What did you score in there?

5. Kyle Tippett

Oo..... no, but i can describe it. -- which im sure isnt that great of a help --

on its left was an older building that set back a little with several steps and maybe a couple columns (not big mind you, but large enough to be noticed) and the store was maybe only 3 shops off the corner. I think the sign was either non-iridescent plastic, or respectably painted wood. Look around in the PANANG-VIETNAM (restaurants) area... it was also closer to the gate i tihnk than PANANG. I remember the inside better. Walk in: counter on left, white formica, maybe some glass.... just up about 12 feet, on right are the discs, on white mica shelves, facing out (smines not showing), the stand was up against a support pilar, which also had several cox sets on it, including a Zhang Yimou set, an A Better Tomarrow set, and i tihnk a Leslie Cheung Restrospective box, and some VHS boxes of serial dramas (asian soaps). In the middle of teh store were several plush chairs, in a back to back, arm to arm fashion.. maybe 6, or 8. Behind that column and the support were both VCDS and CDS. I think there were books toward the back of the store. I remember them selling some good stuff though, but they are all HK dics, so im sure they're not great. You do, however get to hold them in your hand befroe you buy [​IMG]. They had Infernal Affairs, and a bunch of other Andew Lau stuff, some Miike even, like City of Lost Souls, and Katakuris. I dont remeber as much Shaw/Martial Arts stuff as i do dramas, romances, and modern action. It makes sense tough because what modern day Asian-American who has traditional roots wants to watch that... tey all want to see whats out now (and dont bring up Twins Effect or Drunken Monkey... tyhey might have a bad disc of Twins though...) anyway. that s about all i rember... but since i hardy remember, and was only there once, see if this makes sense. Lets say the gate is North. Try aobut 2-3 blocks south, and then head west. It is only about 3-4 stores off of the corner, in the western direction (of my escewed scale of direction)

I didnt buy anything that day... i was trying to go around and ask shop keepers where to buy discs, but they kept telling me to go to the mall, or tower... DAMMIT!... that was frustrating, but no, i didnt get anything there that day. The Yimou box was tempting though.

6. Brett C

Brett C Second Unit

ok thanks for the info and directions, very much appreciated.

7. Kyle Tippett

No problem, i dont know how accurate they are.

8. Brett C

Brett C Second Unit

Will findout,I'm sure they'll be a big help.