What's new

Attention Joel Mack and HTF football league (1 Viewer)

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Paul - I haven't used it myself, so I don't speak from experience, but it seems like a pretty interesting way to do things. The current members of the HTF FFL will have to decide what keeper system they want to implement.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
I wouldn't mind if we ditched the keepers from last year entirely considering how it didn't work for me. :) (Was my team so bad that Tiki Barber the only one I had remote interest in keeping?)
Whatever we determine is fine.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
A second league sounds like a great idea, if there's enough interest. I'm also very familiar with Yahoo's football league, and won't hesitate to join. Keep us updated!

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Gents,

I think we'll limit HTFFFL(1) to 10 teams this time around.

Owners as I currently see it:
Joel Mack (River City Bungles)
Bryan Ziegler (S.B. Bound)
John Spencer (Jackson Rednecks)
Stephen Long (Hell Toupee)
Brian Alexander (Brianca's Nancyboys)
Mark Pfeiffer (Columbus Tigerbombs)
Paul McGowan (Calgary Hitmen)
Brian Baird (Irving Claymores)
Seth Paxton (Indy Jedi Knights)

Assuming that everyone on this list still wants to play, that leaves one open spot in the first league. Since MikeM was the first to inquire, the spot's his if he wants it. I'll try and get an e-mail out to the owners on this list that haven't already expressed an interest in this thread. We may have more openings. Otherwise, someone will have to start a second league.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Works for me, Joel. 20 teams was just too much - the talent was far far far too thin.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I'm not surehow it works in Fantasy Football, but it's (20 players) turning out pretty good in HTF Fight Club Baseball.
I would've never been forced to pick up Raul Ibanez and dump Cordova. Hey Calgary (whats yer name), you liking the DL? :laugh:
If one fills up, the rest of us can start another one. No problem there. Which league are you using Paul? Yahoo?

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Hey John. Yep I'm in Joel Macks group on Yahoo as part of the origional bunch 2 years ago. It should be fun. I was kinda hoping on 20 teams this year again, but not 10. Make them 12 at least, or it's too shallow.

and John, why do I like the DL?? When you mentioned that I immediately checked all players mentioned... Cordova, Faulk, McAllister, etc, no one's on the DL as far as I can tell...

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I'm rather against keeper penalties when the keepers are already limited.
A team can make a solid run for a couple of years with a good pair of keepers but sooner or later the balance of power shifts and your keeper becomes more of a liability than a benefit.
Just look at all the other guys that would be on the keeper list. Now picture them all going back in the draft. You would still only get 2 of those guys and they still might not be a great improvement over the guys you had based on last year's stats AND they might not do those numbers this year.
Being able to keep "your" guys is more about a certain team identity to the league which adds a bit of flavor.
Another funny thing I notice with keepers is that in my baseball league where we have no keeper penalties, people tend to draft the same non-keepers any way. My 8 owner baseball league had 4 keepers, but I redrafted about 5 others too. Other teams did similar things.
With only 2 keepers that means that some good RBs and/or QBs will have to go back out into the draft and if we follow reverse drafting based on last year's standings it more than gives the lower team a shot at a big upgrade without messing with keepers.
Everybody thinks "I want Faulk" but nobody is too excited to give up Randy Moss and Peyton Manning to get him. ;)
If we drop back to 10 teams that will throw tons of talent into the draft even with 20 guys protected...and the draft goes quicker with less rounds.
This is not coming from a guy sitting with some major talent. I will probably keep someone like Hearst, Plummer or Staley.
One other bad thing about 20. You didn't have to coach during the season because you simply didn't have any options on the bench that actually played. Heck, when teams started taking a 3rd kicker thanks to autopick I almost didn't get a kicker or defense at all.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
So...is the original league still taking players? If not, the rest of us need to organize our own. Bueller?

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I'm going to take Paul's suggestion and make HTFFFL(1) a 12-team league.

Teams -
1. Joel Mack (River City Bungles)
2. Bryan Ziegler (S.B. Bound)
3. John Spencer (Jackson Rednecks)
4. Stephen Long (Hell Toupee)
5. Brian Alexander (Brianca's Nancyboys)
6. Mark Pfeiffer (Columbus Tigerbombs)
7. Paul McGowan (Calgary Hitmen)
8. Brian Baird (Irving Claymores)
9. Seth Paxton (Indy Jedi Knights)
10. Jerry Almeida (Chicago Carnage)
11. John Dhein (Richfield Grubstuffers)
12. Empty

Jerry & John D, I never got a keepers list from you, so I had thought you weren't interested in another go-round. You're in.

The last spot in the first league is still reserved for MikeM. Mike, if you still want it, let me know ASAP. If I don't hear from you in a few days, I'll default to the next person that wanted to be added.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I probably should say this now. I am off in BC for 2 weeks starting July 27 to August 12. I'd prefer not to have the draft between then. Before or after are equally good for me. I've missed 2 of the past fantasy drafts one football, one baseball. I don't want to miss another.

Joel, what did you decide for keepers?

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
So do we want to create an HTF II league? If so I can create it on Yahoo.
We need to decide on the rules very soon to ensure we get a good time for a live online draft. Some of the rules that need to be decided (or we can use some/all of the original league's rules):
1. Scoring
2. Keepers (yes/no, if yes how does it work)
3. Roster size (starters + bench)
There are probably a few others I'm missing. Haven't had my first cup o' java yet :)

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
For League 2, I'm thinking, no keepers cause it's gonna be all new guys... right? 1 QB, 3 WR, 2 RB, 1 K & 1 D - with 4-6 bench players depending on league size. I'm open to just about any draft time (just not next week), so I'll let the others dictate. And I really don't like Yahoo's standard scoring, at least change it so for every 10 yards rushed or recieved you get a point, 20 yards seems like to much for just 1 point. (I think rushing for 100 is a bigger acomplishment than scoring a 2 yard TD, but Yahoo doesn't seem to agree.)

Oh, and Yahoo just opened the leagues!

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Ross, that's very similar to the league rules I played under last year, with the exception of 2 WR and 1 TE instead of 3 WR.

We also changed the scoring to be 1 point per 10 yards rushing/receiving or 30 yards passing, and we lowered the point values on kicks, just to put a bigger emphasis on "real" offensive scoring (as opposed to Tampa Bay offensive scoring).

We had six bench players, but four would make things much more interesting.

Keep us new guys updated!

Users who are viewing this thread