What's new

Attention Deanna Durbin fans: That Certain Age (1938), Mad About Music (1938) and Nice Girl? (1941) are coming to Blu-ray! (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
My copy of Something in the Wind arrived today, and I watched it tonight. There are some minor scratches and some flashing at an early point, but overall it looks quite fine, and the sound is very good.

But I can see why Deanna was not fond of this film. She and John Dall don't have any chemistry (she has more with Donald O'Connor), but for me the major distractions of the film are the absolutely horrendous variety of hairstyles she sports in this movie. Apart from the very stylish look in the number "You Wanna Keep Your Baby Looking Right" (with a great outfit, too, by Orry Kelly), all of the other styles (and there are a lot of them) make her look far older than her years. Her weight seems to fluctuate more noticeably in this movie, too. The plot resolution just happens, and it's very unsatisfying. On the other hand, O'Connor steals all of his scenes, and it's great seeing the Williams Brothers as the crooning quartet behind her in a number (with O'Connor also assisting).

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I can see why Deanna was not fond of this film.

It was made during a very unhappy period for her. Her husband, Felix Jackson, quit Universal after the International merger and without warning, in January 1947, abruptly took a job with Young & Rubicam in NYC, effectively abandoning her (and one year-old Jessica) on the West Coast. Donald O'Connor told David Kaufman that he found her to be marvelously professional, but she had a wall up all throughout shooting and was pretty much unapproachable. During the one post-Hollywood interview she gave (also with David Kaufman) she agreed that what O'Connor said must have been true as her marriage was breaking up and it was a very difficult time.

Although she doesn't expressly say so, she also HAD to have noticed that the new Universal-International regime (Goetz and Spitz) seemed to have no real interest in her and it shows. They had loftier ambitions for the new studio during the three short years they were there and ignored the horror pictures, Deanna, and Abbott & Costello (basically anything left over from the classic Nate Blumberg/Cliff Work era.)

It still has its moments like the title tune, "Daddy (Keep Your Baby Lookin' Right)" and "The Turntable Song," but the downward slide had definitely begun, IMO.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It was made during a very unhappy period for her. Her husband, Felix Jackson, quit Universal after the International merger and without warning, in January 1947, abruptly took a job with Young & Rubicam in NYC, effectively abandoning her (and one year-old Jessica) on the West Coast. Donald O'Connor told David Kaufman that he found her to be marvelously professional, but she had a wall up all throughout shooting and was pretty much unapproachable. During the one post-Hollywood interview she gave (also with David Kaufman) she agreed that what O'Connor said must have been true as her marriage was breaking up and it was a very difficult time.

Although she doesn't expressly say so, she also HAD to have noticed that the new Universal-International regime (Goetz and Spitz) seemed to have no real interest in her and it shows. They had loftier ambitions for the new studio during the three short years they were there and ignored the horror pictures, Deanna, and Abbott & Costello (basically anything left over from the classic Nate Blumberg/Cliff Work era.)

It still has its moments. like the title tune, "Daddy (Keep Your Baby Lookin' Right)" and "The Turntable Song," but the downward slide had definitely begun, IMO.
Thanks so much for that interesting trivia about her life and career at that point. All of it seems to jibe with what we're seeing on the screen. Yes, the Johnny Green-Leo Robin score is one of the film's highlights.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
With Jane Powell's recent passing, I was remembering how her first film, "Song of the Open Road" (1944), although a United Artists release, was very much in the mold of Universal's Durbin/Gloria Jean/O'Connor-Ryan type fare. The plot, the music, the comedy... it's almost like a kin to those. Pretty enjoyable, as I recall. Maybe it could be a candidate for ClassicFlix to consider for release.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
My copy of Something in the Wind arrived today, and I watched it tonight. There are some minor scratches and some flashing at an early point, but overall it looks quite fine, and the sound is very good.

But I can see why Deanna was not fond of this film. She and John Dall don't have any chemistry (she has more with Donald O'Connor), but for me the major distractions of the film are the absolutely horrendous variety of hairstyles she sports in this movie. Apart from the very stylish look in the number "You Wanna Keep Your Baby Looking Right" (with a great outfit, too, by Orry Kelly), all of the other styles (and there are a lot of them) make her look far older than her years. Her weight seems to fluctuate more noticeably in this movie, too. The plot resolution just happens, and it's very unsatisfying. On the other hand, O'Connor steals all of his scenes, and it's great seeing the Williams Brothers as the crooning quartet behind her in a number (with O'Connor also assisting).
Anyone notice on the back of the case it says Denna Durbin Lights Up The Screen?

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Has anyone received BECAUSE OF HIM yet?

My moviezyng order arrived and that title was missing yet the detailed order page lists the order as completed. It's listed as "in stock" at the website and I called customer service (this time around) to see if it's out of stock and they KNOW they didn't send it and will send it later (which is fine) or if they THOUGHT they sent it and think they're done. Naturally they need to "call me back" which they haven't done as yet.

Anyone get it?

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur

My moviezyng order arrived and that title was missing yet the detailed order page lists the order as completed. It's listed as "in stock" at the website and I called customer service (this time around) to see if it's out of stock and they KNOW they didn't send it and will send it later (which is fine) or if they THOUGHT they sent it and think they're done. Naturally they need to "call me back" which they haven't done as yet.

Anyone get it?
Got my copy from Bullmoose the other day.

dukiejosh54

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh

Anyone get it?
I got my copy as well from Bullmoose. My Something In The Wind will be here today so I'll finally have all 4 Deanna films in my possession.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy

Anyone get it?
Ordered it from Amazon. Should receive it soon.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

Anyone get it?
this came in Saturday by its self.

Last edited:

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I just received my shipment from MovieZyng. They shipped it on September 7. Don’t know if it’s USPO or the lateness of mail due to Hurricane Ida messing deliveries, but they are here. I think I’m going to use them for the Universal titles.
8403A0D9-814C-4C24-B403-B0462CDC369D.jpeg

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
This was off my chart. Now ordered.

Anyone get it?
mine came in a separate package.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
mine came in a separate package.

Mine came by itself in a separate package as well. Ironically enough, it came WHILE I was on the phone with them asking for an update on the status today, lol.

It's a solid transfer and looks nicely organic. It's great seeing Laughton and Deanna reunited as they were such good friends and they were looking forward to this. I wish the script was stronger but it has its pleasures even though it's no IT STARTED WITH EVE. Durbin and Laughton are great together. I love having Helen Broderick's last movie performance on blu-ray and it's fun to see Universal's recreation of Grand Central Station's Oyster Bar, which is still operating today (or at least will be after the pandemic is well and truly over.)

It's also fun to spot Deanna's fluctuating weight throughout as her pregancy during filming (daughter Jessica would be born in February 1946) was causing her to expand faster than they could shoot her. She carries lots of purses and wears a lot of fussy outfits with bows and frills throughout. All in all I'm quite happy with this (though it was never one of her top-tier titles.)

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
Six more Universal-owned Durbin titles (3 Smart Girls, First Love, The Amazing Mrs. Holliday, Lady on a Train, I’ll Be Yours, and Up in Central Park) received North American DVD releases. I wonder if any of these will also make their way to Blu Ray?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks