What's new

Attention Chu Gai! (1 Viewer)

MattCPT

Stunt Coordinator
Chu Gai,
I feel that I had to update you on how my quest to control my "bright" room was going. This was the least that I could do considering the very insightful reply you gave to my problem. Just to remind you, I currently have a Dolby pro-logic Yamaha receiver with Definitive Technology BP-30 Bipolar speakers (both know to be "bright". I loved my system when I had carpeting, but I recently tiled my house. I was trying to find out what interconnects or speaker cables I should buy to help my problem, and you suggested to give up on the cables and focus on my room. I had already added a thick wool carpet (helped a lot) and curtains (no noticeable effect).
I checked every site you suggested before going with any of them. I must say that I didn't bother with the software programs because they seemed like a lot of work and/or money. I was aware that acoustic panels existed but I always thought that they where gray/black convoluted foam, and that my wife wouldn't tolerate them. After looking at the sites you gave me I found that some of the products where colored or even covered in colored cloth. This doesn't excite my wife but they do look much better than anticipated, and leave me with the option of putting them in the closet when not listening to my system (you know, like when I'm sleeping or working:D ). I decided to purchase the Echo Busters 4 foot x 18 inches. These panels weren't cheap! They go for $280 without the base, but I figured that if they worked then it would be well worth the money. When I called the company the owner suggested 5 panels but I told him that my wife would never understand the "look" and I wasn't about to pay the price.
He told me that even 2 panels, one behind each speaker should help a lot. I was very skeptical but I knew that I could return them if not satisfied.
I received the panels just today. My first impression was that they looked professional. I turned up the volume on my Yamaha and played my Cranberries cd because the lead singers voice will go right through you. I did this without the Echo Busters the first time and as always I found the sound to be very bright and annoying. I then put the panels behind my speakers and played the song again. It was this moment that I knew I would be writing to you. The sound that came out was DRAMATICALLY better than what I had just heard. I was so surprised that I did this comparison with 4 more of the Cd's that I found to be overly bright and the difference was noticeable on all of them. WOW is what I kept thinking and saying. I even made my wife sit down with blind fold (myself too) to see if she heard a difference, and she was even impressed (not as much as me, but impressed). I think she liked the way they looked better with the blindfold:D , but that doesn't matter because I can store them if necessary. The difference in sound was even immediately noticeable when I would take the panel away from the speaker while a song was still playing.
I don't think that everyone will have these results, but in my system the change is wonderful. Keep in mind that my speakers are Bipolar, so that means that I have two cones and a titanium tweeter on the front and BACK of each speaker, causing added echoes. I don't find the music to be even a slight bit dull, in-fact the sound is still a little bright, but not even close to the annoying sound that I was getting. I found myself smiling for the first time while listening to music since I tiled my house. My urge to spend lots of money on cables has diminished significantly (not completely ;) )
Sorry for going on and on, but what I'm trying to say is THANK YOU, THANK YOU , THANK YOU Chu Gai. I have learned a lot from the reply you gave me as well as replies that you have given others. I don't regret the money that I spent on the acoustic panels for even a second. I'm also a lot more excited about adding a DVD/SACD player and Dolby Digital receiver to my system.
Thanks again.
Matt

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
You know, I'd forgotten your speakers had a bipolar problem! Some simililarities with those and electrostatics...Mr. Royster...listen up! LOL. I don't buy that stuff with the Yamaha being bright but that's a whole 'nother issue.
Curtains to have an effect need to have some weight and texture. Roman blinds are possibilities but things have a way of being mitigated by the hard realities of life. There are other options to those panels, which I'm quite aware aren't for everyone, especially spouses. Allow me to share some relatively inexpensive solutions that can have quite positive effects. They may work for you. One can buy, from places like Corning (others elude me at the moment) accoustic batts...sort of like insulation. Well those can be placed upon a wall and covered in fabric. I'm sure Martha Stewart could show some deft use of cloth and a staple gun but I think you get the idea. What's good about those is you can stagger them and create both an acousic solution of various effectiveness combined with something that's relatively artistic. If you've got some discretionary dollars lying around, try it. Move them around..stagger them. It may further increase your satisfaction and maybe make those things that your wife is still probably psychologically dealing with, more palatable. Also bookcases, with books of course are good at breaking sound up. Judicious placement of those can be quite effective.
I detest spending other people's money and was quite loathe to spend yours especially on cables. I even hated you dropping nearly 300 but yes they are effective. Give the acoustic batts some thought. You might be able to find them locally.
Thanks for the kind words. If you wait around, I'm sure I'll offer some piss poor advice too. I see that you live in Florida...how's your lightening situation there? If you're in the market for surge protectors, there've been some pretty informative threads in the tweaks section...go back a couple of weeks. Mr. Kane and others are quite informative.

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
While I seldom, if ever, agree with Chu on many subjects and issues on this forum, I will say that room treatments can cure more ills than any cable made. His advise to you seems to have born that out. Chu wins by
"shotgun theory default". Just kidding Chu ;^)... Your thoughts about room treatments are seldom heeded because it is overlooked by most people. No surprise here.

His advise to address the room acoustical issue seems to have worked for you. And that is a great thing.

But there are DIY room treatments available that can match, and even exceed , the commercially available offerings at a fraction of the price.
But do not stop what you are doing. Pricing aside, lay some area rugs on your tile, address the first reflection points of your mains, and take it from there.

Less is more. But room treatment IS the last frontier if you want to "listen " to the source material, all the good and the warts that it offers. Components, cables, power cords, etc.... wane in relation to room acoustics .....IMHO.

BOK

typo edit

John Royster

Screenwriter
Chu, LOL.

What? You think I haven't completely blanketed my listening room blankets.

I have. A little too-dull, but the room was interesting when you walked into it. VERY dead. you could clap your hands and snap without any echo/reverb. took some covers down to fine tune.

Brian, glad to hear your success. Its amazing how even simple treatments or removing "live" furniture from the room affect your sound.

So your front wall was giving you problems? (the one behind the speakers). If you're ever up for experimenting I've read really good results with diffusers/breakup the front wall with di-poles.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Hell John, it's not like we put your listening area on a cam and panned around! You're quite right though, there are different approaches that one can take, some of which are mitigated by other concerned 'parties' ;) Drop me a PM and give me an idea of where you think you're going.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks