What's new

Attention Canadian Shoppers (1 Viewer)

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Happy Christmas!
It's been a long time since my last contribution to this thread, didn't think I'd contribute ever again, then I just saw something I wanted to share.
HMV has a very nice deal on each of the three special box sets featuring Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy (the ones that include a polystone sculpture by the people at Jackson's special effects company WETA). Each box is now $23.99 at HMV.
Also, the Beatles' Love (produced by the 'fifth Beatle', George Martin and his son) which includes a CD and a DVD-Audio/Video disc (with dvd-audio, dolby digital, and dts surround sound options) is $16.99 at Best Buy Canada. It's a great release; I've got one and I'm giving more as presents.
Finally, the Sandisk Ultra II 2GB compact flash card is $79.99 at Futureshop.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
The James Bond Ultimate Edition boxes are $50 at Wal-Mart. A decent Canadian price if you want a whole box. IMO Vol. 3 is the best collection, no "duds". As if you care what I think :). The released Ultimate single movies are $10 there, and AFAIK they are single discs (please correct if not), so the boxes are a good deal (2 disc versions) if you like all the films in one.
Also look out for the WB movies in snappers disguised by cardboard slipcovers for $6.88...quite a few of them and most of them are quite good movies at the old "bargain bin" price. Way too many to mention, mixed in on the regular shelves mostly.

Scott Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
Seems Wal-Mart is having a New Line/Alliance Atlantis clear out for $5 a dvd

I picked up

Pleasantville
Cellular
Thirteen Days

and they had a ton more of other titles

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ Well, so was I, and I didn't see a one (Ajax, Ont.). Bummer.

Actually, my trip there reaffirmed my decision to not buy DVDs at BB, the prices were atrocious in general. You'd think we were still paying with a peso... Every single title could be bought for less at Wal-Mart even, and many had sold for way less than half the current price at the same BB within the last month. What's up with that policy?? Selection was, as usual, very good in general, and people very helpful, even knowledgable. Nothing changed in those depts., but the prices!! Then I went to the nearby (of course!) Future Shop. Prices were even worse, that is a switcheroo from the last few years.

Sorry to seem so negative, but I used to spend *at least* $100 a week at BB and FS on DVD, now I doubt they get $100 a year from me. But if you can find the SBs you want for $7, it's a great deal, all the SBs I have bought have been quite satisfactory, no complaints there.

Let me put BB/FS in perspective: I imported an A/V item from the U.S., that cost $1300 included shipping/taxes/etc./etc. ...all in. This item cost $4600 from FS. It's your $$...I'm not that rich.

Scott Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
Well the Burlington one still has tons of them.

I picked up

The Patriot
The Quick and the dead
Vampires
Hollow Man
Air Force One
Hook

As well they had most of the Superbit titles, I didn't see Snatch or Black Hawk Down though.

The one I loved the best that I just picked up was Escape from Alcatraz for $4.99. Do I ever love this movie.

Best Buy or Future Shop prices can be way too high or crazy on DVD's.

One time they had a bunch of the Fox special editions for 2 for $10. I picked up The Day After Tomorrow and Independence Day.

The strangest place I have been finding DVD's is Zellers. They have a $4.99 and $6.99 bin I have found a lot of treasures for a super cheap price. You just have to keep looking they change them up a lot but they usually only have 1 copy of each title.

I found

The Anniversary Party for $4.99
Around the World in 80 Days SE (1956) for $6.99
The Passion of the Christ for $4.99

to name a few

I also saw Jarhead and King Kong for $6.99

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
That is true about Zellers. I have got what I consider some real steals there, mostly unadvertised specials from their cardboard bins. They used to have some great advertised specials, but lately they have really pared down the size of their DVD section (at least here) and don't stock much new stuff.
Wal-Mart has been pretty good with the cheap cardboard displays lately. Lots of unadvertised stuff, I seem to pick up a stack of half-decent discs every time I go.
But the prices of new SD discs seems ridiculous everywhere to me. Sometimes the Blu-Ray and HD versions are cheaper than the SD. The SD seems to come down a few months after issue, the BR and HD not so much.
I get the distinct impression (but have no facts) that new DVD sales are not so good as maybe a couple years ago. I just don't see the number of people looking at them like I used to, but then I don't work in a store. If it's true, I'd say it's because of the high issue price then the rapid drop starting after a few months, then into the bargain bin after about a year. That's what I've been counting on! :) This is especially noticeable with TV sets.

Scott Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
Well at least you know about Zellers, I have been shocked at some of the cheap stuff I find there and never pass up the rule if you see it buy it because next time you go back it is gone. I think the workers there are clueless as to the movies though and looked shocked when they have a new bin or cardboard display and my eyes light up with a smile on my face (can't believe the price) and walk out with 5 to 10 DVD's.

I think my biggest find in years was Around the World in 80 Days SE (1956) for $6.99 everywhere else is selling it for $31 to $33.

Everyone seems to tell me that the new DVD prices are too high, they will wait two months until the price drops, they all seem to mention HMV with the 2 for $20 or 2 for $30.

Scott Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
Great unadvertised deal at Futureshop

All X-Files season sets are $19.99 (6 disc ones)

I went to the local one they still had the price tags at $45.99 went to check at cash they were all $19.99. Completed the series for me.

Scott Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
Wal-mart is having there usual big DVD sale.

Picked up some which I think are crazy prices for them

American Wedding Unrated Gift Set with t-shirt for $5.00
The Scorpion King DVD + CD soundtrack for $5.00
Seabiscuit 2 Disc Ultimate Gift Set for $5.00
Cinderella Man 2 Disc Collector's Edition for $5.00

Scott Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
Wal-mart has all the The Legacy Collection Horrors on for $6.83 each

Picked up

The Mummy
The Wolf Man
Frankenstein
Dracula

Scott Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
MusicWorld has the store closing sale on now

20% off on all DVD's

but now

30% off on all DVD's if you buy 4 or more.

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
Scott Hamilton said:
MusicWorld has the store closing sale on now
I noticed that when I was recently at my local store.I thought it was just the location in my area,but seeing this post,it's all Music Worlds,across Canada.Does anyone happen to know why they are closing?The'll be missed.

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
Joseph J.D said:
They declared bankruptcy.....just like Sam's did. :frowning:
In Toronto, once Music World is gone, there will be only HMV and Sunrise Records left.
Thanks for your answer.I was going to ask one of the sales clerks,but felt it wasn't appropriate to do so.Surely a large city,like Toronto, has the other big name chain stores like Wal- Mart,CD Plus,Future Shop,Best Buy,etc.

Scott Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
Zellers has a bunch of $2.99 $4.99 $9.99 bins again depends on the store (3 locations near my house)

Always can find a few gems in them that I picked up

Dead Zone Season 1 $9.99
Unsolved Mysteries Miracles $9.99
Colors $2.99
Rollerball $2.99

and a bunch of other stuff

I also saw

Jurassic Park III $2.99
Silence Of The Lambs (2 disc) $2.99

A lot of times you will see the same movie in 3 different bins with 3 different prices.

Scott Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
Zellers has tons of bins again $29.99 for a lot of big box sets

Can't go wrong with the $2.99 Bin

Found Ronin 2 Disc Special Edition for $2.99
Talk radio for $5
A bunch of CourtTV's Dvds for $2.99

Also the $9.99 bin for SE

Picked up Superman Returns 2 Disc with book (which I thought was a Best Buy Exclusive ? )

Also saw a bunch of OOP MGM discs in the $4.99 Bin some of which had different covers and some with booklets and some without.

I pick up Heart Of Dixie

Scott Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
Wal-mart has a bunch of HD-DVD's for $5 in the 2 for $10 bin

I picked up

Coming To America
The Warriors
Top Gun

also saw

Transformers
MI-2
MI-III

and a bunch more

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Check out Best Buy. Has quite a lot of the usually expensive Fox BDs for $20. Not advertised in their flyers. Actually a lot of good non-Fox titles for $20 or less too, but it's the Fox ones that are the relative "deal".

Scott Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
Zellers has a bunch of HD-DVD / DVD combos for $4.87

I picked up

Alpha Dog
Smokin' Aces
An American Werewolf In London
The Good Shepherd
The Kingdom
The Hitcher
Dead Silence
Breach
Miami Vice
Children Of Men
The Good Shepherd

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks