1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Attention Canadian Shoppers

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Andrew Chong, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

Happy Christmas!
    It's been a long time since my last contribution to this thread, didn't think I'd contribute ever again, then I just saw something I wanted to share.
    HMV has a very nice deal on each of the three special box sets featuring Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy (the ones that include a polystone sculpture by the people at Jackson's special effects company WETA). Each box is now $23.99 at HMV.
    Also, the Beatles' Love (produced by the 'fifth Beatle', George Martin and his son) which includes a CD and a DVD-Audio/Video disc (with dvd-audio, dolby digital, and dts surround sound options) is $16.99 at Best Buy Canada. It's a great release; I've got one and I'm giving more as presents.
    Finally, the Sandisk Ultra II 2GB compact flash card is $79.99 at Futureshop.

2. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Check out this week's Walmart flyer.....on specially marked packages of regular cleaning products, you'll find a blue & orange label which contains a $5 DVD Cash coupon good towards any DVD purchase or rental......not just at Walmart, but at Best Buy, Future Shop, HMV, Blockbuster and various other stores (says so on the back of the coupon).
    You'll find them on the following items as listed on the ad (Prices taken from Toronto Area Flyer) :
    Charmin 16 double roll toilet paper $11.48
    Bounty 12 roll paper towels $13.88
    Liquid Tide 48 - 52 use $16.97
    Bounce Fabric Softener Sheets (160) $ 9.97
    Ultra Downey Liquid Fabric Softener 1.8 L $ 8.94
    Swiffer Sweep & Vac Starter Kit & $37.87
    Swiffer Wet Jet Starter Kit $25.97
    So, if you just happen to need to stock up on the first five of these items or are looking to purchase a Swiffer, you might want to take advantage of this offer. [​IMG] Word of warning though.....make sure the blue & orange coupon is on the package as not all of them have it as I noticed while looking through the store shelves.

3. Joseph J.D

Looks like HMV is selling off their Superbit titles. I saw a shelf dedicated to them at their First Canadian Place location this morning for $7.99 apiece. They had a decent selection of titles including Black Hawk Down, Desperado, The Fifth Element and others. YMMV at other locations though.

Edit: Definitely YMMV.....I checked the flagship store and a couple of others downtown (Eaton Centre & Queen/Spadina) and couldn't find any Superbits at all. Just the First Canadian Place location so far....

4. CraigF

CraigF Producer

Craig
    The James Bond Ultimate Edition boxes are $50 at Wal-Mart. A decent Canadian price if you want a whole box. IMO Vol. 3 is the best collection, no "duds". As if you care what I think [​IMG]. The released Ultimate single movies are $10 there, and AFAIK they are single discs (please correct if not), so the boxes are a good deal (2 disc versions) if you like all the films in one.
    Also look out for the WB movies in snappers disguised by cardboard slipcovers for $6.88...quite a few of them and most of them are quite good movies at the old "bargain bin" price. Way too many to mention, mixed in on the regular shelves mostly.

5. Scott Hamilton

Scott Hamilton Stunt Coordinator

Seems Wal-Mart is having a New Line/Alliance Atlantis clear out for $5 a dvd

I picked up

Pleasantville
    Cellular
    Thirteen Days

and they had a ton more of other titles

6. Joseph J.D

Looks like HMV is clearing out more UMDs.....this time from the Sony movie lists. The following UMDs are now on sale for $8.99 each (These are titles that I have seen so far at a couple of stores):
    Black Hawk Down
    The Cave
    Air Force One
    Bad Boys
    Starship Troopers
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    Spiderman 2
    Men In Black
    Desperado
    Once Upon A Time In Mexico
    Anger Management
    The Exorcism Of Emily Rose
    Jumanji
    House Of Flying Daggers
    Hellboy: Director's Cut
    The Replacement Killers
    Underworld: Evolution
    Big Daddy
    The Dark Crystal
    Labyrinth
    Spiderman: The New Animated Adventures
    Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
    SWAT
    The Big Hit
    So there you have it.....some cheaply priced UMD movies for your hungry PSP. [​IMG]
    EDIT: Found another set of UMDs at an HMV at Sherway Gardens in the west end of Toronto. These ones are going for $7.99. YMMV at other locations:
    Underworld
    Fun With Dick and Jane
    The Fifth Element
    Ghostbusters
    Snatch
    Resident Evil
    Hostel

7. Scott Hamilton

I was at bestbuy yesterday and they had Superbit titles for $6.99 as part of there over 250 dvd'd for $6.99.

8. CraigF

CraigF Producer

Craig
    ^ Well, so was I, and I didn't see a one (Ajax, Ont.). Bummer.

Actually, my trip there reaffirmed my decision to not buy DVDs at BB, the prices were atrocious in general. You'd think we were still paying with a peso... Every single title could be bought for less at Wal-Mart even, and many had sold for way less than half the current price at the same BB within the last month. What's up with that policy?? Selection was, as usual, very good in general, and people very helpful, even knowledgable. Nothing changed in those depts., but the prices!! Then I went to the nearby (of course!) Future Shop. Prices were even worse, that is a switcheroo from the last few years.

Sorry to seem so negative, but I used to spend *at least* $100 a week at BB and FS on DVD, now I doubt they get $100 a year from me. But if you can find the SBs you want for $7, it's a great deal, all the SBs I have bought have been quite satisfactory, no complaints there.

Let me put BB/FS in perspective: I imported an A/V item from the U.S., that cost $1300 included shipping/taxes/etc./etc. ...all in. This item cost $4600 from FS. It's your $$...I'm not that rich.

9. Scott Hamilton

Well the Burlington one still has tons of them.

I picked up

The Patriot
    The Quick and the dead
    Vampires
    Hollow Man
    Air Force One
    Hook

As well they had most of the Superbit titles, I didn't see Snatch or Black Hawk Down though.

The one I loved the best that I just picked up was Escape from Alcatraz for $4.99. Do I ever love this movie.

Best Buy or Future Shop prices can be way too high or crazy on DVD's.

One time they had a bunch of the Fox special editions for 2 for $10. I picked up The Day After Tomorrow and Independence Day.

The strangest place I have been finding DVD's is Zellers. They have a $4.99 and $6.99 bin I have found a lot of treasures for a super cheap price. You just have to keep looking they change them up a lot but they usually only have 1 copy of each title.

I found

The Anniversary Party for $4.99
    Around the World in 80 Days SE (1956) for $6.99
    The Passion of the Christ for $4.99

to name a few

I also saw Jarhead and King Kong for $6.99

10. CraigF

CraigF Producer

Craig
    That is true about Zellers. I have got what I consider some real steals there, mostly unadvertised specials from their cardboard bins. They used to have some great advertised specials, but lately they have really pared down the size of their DVD section (at least here) and don't stock much new stuff.
    Wal-Mart has been pretty good with the cheap cardboard displays lately. Lots of unadvertised stuff, I seem to pick up a stack of half-decent discs every time I go.
    But the prices of new SD discs seems ridiculous everywhere to me. Sometimes the Blu-Ray and HD versions are cheaper than the SD. The SD seems to come down a few months after issue, the BR and HD not so much.
    I get the distinct impression (but have no facts) that new DVD sales are not so good as maybe a couple years ago. I just don't see the number of people looking at them like I used to, but then I don't work in a store. If it's true, I'd say it's because of the high issue price then the rapid drop starting after a few months, then into the bargain bin after about a year. That's what I've been counting on! [​IMG] This is especially noticeable with TV sets.

11. Scott Hamilton

Well at least you know about Zellers, I have been shocked at some of the cheap stuff I find there and never pass up the rule if you see it buy it because next time you go back it is gone. I think the workers there are clueless as to the movies though and looked shocked when they have a new bin or cardboard display and my eyes light up with a smile on my face (can't believe the price) and walk out with 5 to 10 DVD's.

I think my biggest find in years was Around the World in 80 Days SE (1956) for $6.99 everywhere else is selling it for $31 to $33.

Everyone seems to tell me that the new DVD prices are too high, they will wait two months until the price drops, they all seem to mention HMV with the 2 for $20 or 2 for $30.

12. Scott Hamilton

Great unadvertised deal at Futureshop

All X-Files season sets are $19.99 (6 disc ones)

I went to the local one they still had the price tags at $45.99 went to check at cash they were all $19.99. Completed the series for me.

13. Scott Hamilton

Wal-mart is having there usual big DVD sale.

Picked up some which I think are crazy prices for them

American Wedding Unrated Gift Set with t-shirt for $5.00
    The Scorpion King DVD + CD soundtrack for $5.00
    Seabiscuit 2 Disc Ultimate Gift Set for $5.00
    Cinderella Man 2 Disc Collector's Edition for $5.00

14. Scott Hamilton

Wal-mart has all the The Legacy Collection Horrors on for $6.83 each

Picked up

The Mummy
    The Wolf Man
    Frankenstein
    Dracula

15. Joseph J.D

Remember the TARGET exclusive Transformers film with the Optimus Prime transforming case available in the US only? Apparently it's now an HMV exclusive in Canada....came across it at the local HMV this morning in the new release racks for $34.99....another plus for this release is that there's no bilingual packaging for this- it looks exactly the same as the Target case except for the HMV sticker.

I wouldn't call this a bargain by any stretch but it's worth mentioning for those that want to pick this up for themselves or as a Christmas gift.

16. Joseph J.D

Anyone looking for POTC: At World's End on Blu-Ray might want to check their local Zellers....in their flyer this week (pg 27) the price is a very cheap $25.97! It even comes with a free gift.

17. Scott Hamilton

MusicWorld has the store closing sale on now

20% off on all DVD's

but now

30% off on all DVD's if you buy 4 or more.

18. Stephen Wight

Stephen Wight Second Unit

Stephen
    I noticed that when I was recently at my local store.I thought it was just the location in my area,but seeing this post,it's all Music Worlds,across Canada.Does anyone happen to know why they are closing?The'll be missed.

19. Joseph J.D

They declared bankruptcy.....just like Sam's did. [​IMG]
    In Toronto, once Music World is gone, there will be only HMV and Sunrise Records left.
    As for the sale, it is now 30% off all CDs & DVDs.....40% for Videogames.

20. Stephen Wight

Stephen Wight Second Unit

Stephen
    Thanks for your answer.I was going to ask one of the sales clerks,but felt it wasn't appropriate to do so.Surely a large city,like Toronto, has the other big name chain stores like Wal- Mart,CD Plus,Future Shop,Best Buy,etc.