Attention British Columbia (and other Canadian) residents re: Telephone service

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Rain, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Rain

Rain Producer

I found out something recently that I thought I would share with my fellow BC residents. (Other residents of Canada may benefit too if they are willing to shop around a bit.)

Do you know that you no longer have to tolerate the second rate customer service provided by the former monopoly-holder, Telus?

Sprint Canada is now able to offer BASIC phone service as well as long distance.

I recently had an occasion where I had to call Telus regarding my phone service. I was on hold for 40 minutes, after which I was told that the matter was settled. 10 minutes later, my phone was cut off. I had to go to my place of work to call them back, again waiting almost 40 minutes until I could speak to someone. They turned my phone back on, but didn't even apologize for the error.

Having discovered a couple of days earlier that Sprint now offered BASIC service, I called them up. I was not put on hold at all and was able to speak to a real live person right away. We went through my phone needs and Sprint was able to offer me service for a little less than what Telus was charging. They were friendly and courteous throughout the call.

Needless to say, I signed up with them.

They had an offer going when I signed up, which may still be in effect, I'm not sure. Basically if you sign up with them and keep your account in good standing for 4 months, they will send you a rebate cheque for $100.

I should mention I am not affiliated with Sprint in any way. I'm just a consumer who is fed up with crappy customer service.

I encourage everyone to shop around. If there are alternatives for BASIC phone service here, there very likely will be in other provinces as well.

I'm sure this is probably old news to many of you, but since I was not aware of it, I can only assume there may be others out there who aren't either.

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Interesting... do they make you use their long distance service with Sprint? I've been using Yak, and saving a lot on LD calls. I agree that Telus pretty much bites.

3. Rain

Rain Producer

I don't believe that using their long distance is mandatory, but I'm not 100% sure.

Call them up. You probably won't be put on hold.

4. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Rain, I'm fed up too with Telus.

Calling them and being put on hold for 15 - 30 minutes is the norm. I get a kick out of their message for the long delay..."Due to the higher than normal amount of calls we are recieving...your wait may be a while" That was never the case until last year when they had to downsize and cut half of their staff. They also closed all but one store in the entire city where you can pay your phone bill cash. It can be quite frustrating. I find that telus Mobility isn't so bad and neither needing to talk to someone from internet services. I just went through all this, with me moving July 1.

I'll keep Sprint in mind.

5. MikeFR

MikeFR Supporting Actor

Good to know.

Now if only their was an alternative to those bastards at Shaw cable.

6. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    MikeFR: I switched to Bell ExpressVu awhile back, its great... I recommend you take a look at that...

Interesting info Rain, maybe ill pass this info onto my dad... However, i have not had too many problems with telus...

7. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Yeah, I was called by Sprint (telemarketing! Arrrgh!) and they offered me basic service too. I didn't take it, but I did get rid of Telus' awful long distance "bundle", which basically means they charge me $10 a month for a service I hardly use. Grrrr. I hate Telus LD.

8. MikeFR

MikeFR Supporting Actor

"MikeFR: I switched to Bell ExpressVu awhile back, its great... I recommend you take a look at that..."

I would love to but I live in an apartment so its not really an option(especially since I face north).

9. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Interesting... I think I'll hafta look into this. Thanks Rain! [​IMG]

Side note: I was recently calling Telus Mobility (who I have a phone with...they were better than Rogers/AT&T) and got this:

"Due to high volumes of calls, we can not take your call at this time. Please call back later. *click*" I was FURIOUS! Not even an option to leave a message, or to "press 1 to hold" or anything. Just 'we can't talk to you now' and that's it?! I have a year left on my Telus Mobility contract... at which time I'll be reviewing it, and most likely going somewhere else. Grrrrr.