Attention Ascend Acoustics Owners!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnV, Feb 7, 2003.

1. JohnV

JohnV Auditioning

I have settled on going with 4 CBM-170 and waiting for the new center channel. My question is what receiver will be best for this setup. I have narrowed it down to the Sony 4ES and Pioneer 45TX. I know the 45TX is not rated for 4ohm but the new ones shipping out are rated for speakers at 4ohm. What are you using and if any one has heard a side by side comparison that would be great. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank-you, John

2. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

John,
    first off, congrats on your purchase.
    the ascends, as your about to find out, are an exceptional value speaker.

i'm not overly familiar with either of those recievers, although for some reason i'm thinking they are fairly high budget, top of the line recievers (over $1500?).
    i seem to recall hearing very good things about both of them.

if i had a budget of over $1.5k earmarked for the electronics, i would have liked to have investigated seperates.
    Rotel, i have heard, makes for a particualrly good match with the Ascends.
    get a decent pre/pro that has the features you want, and maybe just pick up some used amps.
    just a suggestion.

i'm using a NAD 752, which i have very mixed feelings about.
    i actually have no real complaints at this point (the fan is a minor irritation sometimes), but i am very concerned about issues of NAD reliability that have come to my attention since the purchase.
    i came to the NAD after demoing it against several ,ore well known (to me at least) name brands (HK and Onkyo) and sound-wise there was really no contest. from the opinions of other people i would trust, i don't think a Denon would have made me hear anything to alter my opinion.

one note about the center- right now i'm using a cbm 170 as a center, and because all my movie viewing is off-axis, i don't trust that the new mtm designed center is going to offer an improvement for me in my room.
    in fact, i think that design might actually hurt things a little.
    the way the 170 images above to the screen is just about perfect.

early on, while i was still in my 30 day trial, i was commenting to David how much i would appreciate a more substantial, fuller range center.
    i feel a little foolish now, because i've had more expensive, fuller range centers in the room in the past, but after months of use, i now much prefer the performance from the little 2 way Ascend.

anyway, good luck on whatever you end up with.
    i'm pretty sure you'll be very happy with them!

3. BradJudy

BradJudy Stunt Coordinator

I also can't speak toward the synergy of those receivers with the Ascends - I have an H/K AVR-520. I think they work great together (I think Ascend actually recommends the combination) and the AVR-520 is just such a great deal at $500. As mentioned, you seem to be aiming a bit higher though.

I was considering the NAD 752, but got tired of waiting for it and also decided I didn't really want to spend that much.

4. JohnV

JohnV Auditioning

Thank you for the comments. I don't think I am aiming higher with these receivers I can get either one of them for about $620 shipped.

5. MatthewK

MatthewK Stunt Coordinator

I have a Sony 4ES and will be pairing them with some ascends at somepoint in the near future.

I have been very happy with the 4ES so far. The only thing I miss is there is no "5 Channel Stereo" setting, or its equivelent, that tha Denons and others have.

Matthew

6. Kevin L K

Kevin L K Second Unit

Hi JohnV [​IMG]

The Ascends have a MINIMUM impedance of 4ohms(4.1 per the web site)and an AVERAGE impedance of 8ohms(7.89--again per the web site)so they can truly be considered 8ohms--you have no worries.

PS. Where the heck can you get a 45TX for $620 shipped!?[​IMG]

7. JohnV

JohnV Auditioning

Kevin,

You can get the 45TX from Sammans for $620 shipped.

8. Kevin L K

Kevin L K Second Unit

JohnV,
    You're talking about the Pioneer Elite 45TX correct?
    That's a ridiculously low price :b

9. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

I run my 170s with a Marantz SR7200 and have no problems.

Just to reiterate these are basically 8ohm speakers. Look at Kevin L K's post and the Ascend site about this.

10. Ben_wood

Ben_wood Stunt Coordinator

Hi John,
    Kevin and Chris are right about the CBM-170 being basically 8 ohm speakers. I run four of them "on the corners" with an Onkyo TX-DS595 receiver (rated @75 watts per) and have had no problems reaching satisfactory spl's for extended lengths of time with no over heating problems. Also my Onkyo has a switch on the back to change between 4 and 8 ohm settings. I had been advised to leave the switch in the 8 ohm position and have done so. I'm sure that you will enjoy your Ascends with most any high quality receiver, and I think you're making the right decision going with the new center-channel. I plan on trading in my HTM-200 on one as soon as they are available. [​IMG]

11. jaydee

jaydee Stunt Coordinator

JohnV

I stumbled on to my 45TX "Elite" for $710 (NIB)+ s&h on eBay because of a major screw up by the seller and felt very lucky. Gees, I stole this thing. My neighbor who works at a highend shop said that was under cost.

Went to Sammans web site and could find the 45TX. If they are selling it at $620 shipped, please tell me how to find these, as I want to buy a few and sell them to the dealers here in town. [​IMG]

If I were you, I'd pull that trigger.[​IMG]

12. Kevin L K

Kevin L K Second Unit

John and everyone else:

I emailed Samman's and they advised me they DO NOT sell the 45TX for $620 shipped--they sell the SONY STRDA4ES for $620.

13. JohnV

JohnV Auditioning

Kevin

Well I guess I know what receiver I'll be getting now. Sorry If I made anyone excited but I misread a post about the 4ES costing $620 and thought it was also the 45TX. I've been reading alot of post on this forum and avs and most people that have heard both these receivers prefered the sony as did I when I auditioned them today. The only reason I was considering the 45TX was for the automatic setup but I guess I will have to learn to do it manually.

14. jaydee

jaydee Stunt Coordinator

Don't worry about adjusting it yourself. I have the 45 and I still had to fine tune it after the MAAC did it. But, my neighbor swears by the MAAC. So I've determined everyone has different opinions on the matter.

Good Luck, John!

15. BrunoB

BrunoB Auditioning

I have a Sony STR-DA4ES and it works very well with the Ascend CBM-170. Compared with a Rotel amp , there is a slight and pleasant increase in the high treble. The sound is dynamic and detailed.

BUT ...

I purchased recently an all-digital receiver/DVD combo from Sony (AVD-S50ES, $595+shipping from Oade Brothers). The amplifier section works in the digital domain (analog to digital conversion occurs at the speaker terminals). Unlike comparing the Rotel with the DA4ES, the difference between the AVD-S50ES and the DA4ES is not subtle. The sound is much more detailed and smoother. It is difficult to keep the volume down (I have neighbors) because the sound is not aggressive at all. Vocals, sax, violins have a suprising clarity and presence. Reverberations coming from the recording studio or concert hall are more present, which gives a better stereo image. These effects are not only present with SACD's, but also with normal CD's , and even with DD and DTS. Film dialogs are very clear, intelligible. Somehow, a DD soundtrack sounds better on this digital amp than a SACD on my DA4ES. As a bonus, the unit comes with a progressive scan DVD player.

On the minus side, this receiver is not very powerful (5x80w, 0.7% THD), is a DVD combo and has minimal connectivity (no multichannel input or output). It is very simple receiver: there aren't many options to set, for instance there is no frequency adjustements for the subwoofer (I don't have one yet, so it does not bother me). It does not support extended surround formats (DD-EX or DTS-ES) and has no preamp out. The remote sucks. And there is a cooling fan.

If you get one, be sure to give it enough time for break in.
    Also, Sony has a more powerful model with a better remote, but I haven't tested it.

Be aware that my sound system setup is probably quite differently from yours: no subwoofer, small room, 5 CBM-170 close to the listening position (6 feet) and a lot of foam and carpet to absord sound.

The bottom line is that I am seriously thinking of selling my DA4ES now.

Bruno

PS : here is another review on a Sony digital amp: http://groups.google.com/groups?q=So...ink.net&rnum=1

16. Kevin L K

Kevin L K Second Unit

Hi everyone [​IMG]

I just wanted to mention something about David at Ascend. I ordered a CBM-170 center channel from Ascend and when it arrived the package was beat to CRAP by UPS--did I mention I cannot stand those idiots at UPS(they THREW the box on my front porch even though I had a note telling them to ring the doorbell and wait since my wife was home)--but when I took the speaker out of the box all seemed O.K at least cosmetically.The second day the dialog out of the center was all fuzzy and buzzy so I took off the speaker grille and the phase plug came off in my hand!!!!
    I immediately emailed David to tell him why my hatred of UPS is justified and he immediately shipped me a brand new woofer, no questions asked, and paid for the shipping! All is fine now. I DO NOT work for Ascend, I just wanted to give a great company and a great person some well deserved credit. Thanks David!

Oh, and by the way, a fantastic new center speaker is not the only thing on the horizon from Ascend [​IMG]. Sorry for the teaser but I cannot say any more due to a NDA.