What's new

Attention: Anyone Who Appreciates True Metal / Hard Rock (1 Viewer)

Trevor H

Second Unit
Are you tired of all the nu-metal no talent 3-muted power chord playing bands that try to pass themselves off as "Metal"? If so then go forth to your nearest music store and pick up the new CD by Zakk Wylde's Black Label Society "The Blessed Hellride"
I've had a promo copy for over 2 weeks and it has been pretty much all I have listened to.

For anyone who doesn't know, Zakk Wylde has played Guitar and written most of the music for Ozzy Osbourne since 1988's "No Rest For The Wicked"
Since forming BLS in 1998 Zakk has released 5 albums:

Sonic Brew (1999)
Stronger Than Death (2000)
Alcohol Fueled Brewtality Live (2001)
1919 Eternal (2002)
The Blessed Hellride (2003)

So do yourself a favour and go out and pick up a copy of The Blessed Hellride, I promise you will not be disappointed and that you will find yourself picking up his other discs soon after.

Jeff_P

Stunt Coordinator
Trevor,

Thanks for reminding me that it came out. Totally forgot that this CD came out. Spitfire has no promo dept..

NP: Cheap Trick: Live at Budokan - getting psyched to see them at the Beacon Theater 4/24

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I've heard very good things about this record on other forums but am not familiar with his musical stylings since he left Ozzy. What does his material sound like? Is it a take on the Ozzy stylings? Is it harder, more melodic, what?

Trevor H

Second Unit
What does his material sound like?
One of the things I love about Zakk's music is that he can play many different styles but when you hear it you always know that it is him. An example is his new disc which starts out with two bone crunching heavy songs then the next is the first single "Stillborn" featuring for the first time Ozzy on backup vocals, there are 3 songs that are more acoustic and melodic one even showcases Zakk's talent on the piano.
His last CD 1919 Eternal has more of a shred feel to it.
The live CD includes a bonus disc of 5 acoustic songs including increasable covers of Sabbath's Snowblind and Neil Young's Heart of Gold.
Stronger Than Death is a very heavy disc but still features a couple of slower songs.
The best IMO is the first "Sonic Brew" which really showcases Zakk's talent as a guitar player and song writer, it even features a very heavy version of "No More Tears"

If you want to hear a really different side of Zakk pick up his solo disc "Zakk Wylde - Book Of Shadows" which is almost entirely acoustic.
There is also the self titled CD by his first band "Pride & Glory" which has a Southern Rock & Blues sound

So like I have said, with Zakk you get many styles of music but one thing that is always present is increasable guitar playing.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I just picked up "Boozed Broozed & Broken-Boned", the DVD concert from Detroit yesterday. It's a pretty decent DVD, but the production isn't up to the quality of the Metallica concert DVDs.

The sound is in DTS, DD and Stereo. There is a neat 'lesson' extra that shows Zakk breaking down some moves on his guitar.

The concert itself was pretty good. I guess the idea with the "Black Label Society" is that they constanly change out drummers and bass players?

Robert Trujillo (from Metallica) was playing bass at this concert, but there is a clip from their concert in Tokyo where someone else is playing bass. Sorry, but I don't remember who was playing drums.

Todd Smigelski

Stunt Coordinator
Trevor,

Thanks for the recommendation. It looks like your somewhat of a strong BLS follower with all your BLS logo in your sig, website etc.

Or is it just from the promo you rec'd that your so gung ho?

I'll give it a listen regardless.

James~P

Stunt Coordinator
as a guitarest i can tell you Zakk Wylde is a monster, and anything he puts out will have my respect.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks