Attention Anthem AVM20&Denon 2900 Owners

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jeff Kleinberg, Jun 14, 2003.

1. Jeff Kleinberg

Jeff Kleinberg Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    I am currently using both units with much joy and happiness, but I am trying to figure out which DACs I like better for redbook playback. I have the Denon hooked to the coax and 6-channel inputs. I was expecting the anthem to blow the Denon's DAC's away but I think I actually prefer the Denon, vocals are much more up front and involving. Just wanted to ask owners of both units how you listen to Cd's. And your opinions on each units redbook playback.

Jeff

2. Jeff Kleinberg

Hi,
    It looks like two posts were lost, care to repost.

Jeff

3. Ray Green

Ray Green Auditioning

Jeff,
    This is a repost of an earlier reply.
    I have an AVM 20 and a Denon 1600. When I listen to CDs through DVD input via a Toslink connection it seems the sound is a little cleaner. But, when I listen through the 6Ch S/E inputs the sound stage opens up quite a bit and everything seems much more three dimensional. I hadn't tried this before and I was really surprised. I guess I might be listening to two channel music through the 6Ch S/E inputs from now on.
    I also switched between 6 Ch Analog-Direct and 6Ch Analog-DSP and it didn't seem to effect the stereo image like switching to the DVD input and using the AVM 20s DACs did. I can still use the bass management and tone controls, etc.
    I'm also thinking about upgrading to the 2900. How do you like yours so far?
    Ray

4. Jeff Kleinberg

So far I'd say the 2900 is the best dvd player I've owned, picture beats my rp-91, and the sound is great but the 999es still has better SACD, but its close.

Jeff

5. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Ray,

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the way your system operates?

Sound from Denon DACs:
    Denon 1600 -> AVM-20 6 ch inputs -> AVM-20 analog direct mode

Sound from AVM-20 DACs:
    1) Denon 1600-> AVM-20 digital in -> AVM-20 any mode
    2) Denon 1600 -> AVM-20 6 ch inputs -> AVM-20 any DSP mode

Selecting a DSP mode (#2 above) even when input is from the 6ch inputs, routes the source signal through another AD-to-DA conversion cycle, ultimately using the AVM-20 DACs.