What's new

Attention, "alot" is not a word. (1 Viewer)

Joseph Grieco

Auditioning
Actually, neither 'alot' nor 'a lot' are proper. The words 'much' or 'many' should be used in their place, but then again, many people make this mistake.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
So who else reads each of the posts in a thread like this very closely in hopes of finding someone else's spelling or grammar mistake? I know I do. I just hope I didn't make one in this post or I'll look a wee bit silly.

It also ensures people will take your post seriously. Like employers who discard resumes and cover letters with typos, I have little reason to give weight to someone's opinion if they cannot put a little effort into writing and spelling correctly.
This pretty much sums up my feelings on the subject. Poor spelling and grammar can affect my reading comprehension. Thus I hate reading posts like that. Obviously we all make mistakes, heck I'm not 100% certain if I meant affect or effect, but it doesn't hurt to make some effort.

Lee Carbray

Second Unit
True, "many" and "much" are more proper and more formal, but "a lot" is not exactly wrong.

FYI, a trick to remember when using "a lot" is just as you wouldn't write "alittle" you shouldn't write "alot."

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
"Punctuation goes WITHIN quotes."
Is that always correct? I always thought "?" and "!" were put outside the quotes. Some strange twist of the English language. Although sometimes I break this rule purposely in order to make it more clearly. For example, if I wrote the following:

Who said "Punctuation goes WITHIN quotes."?

Is this correct? I think it makes more sense because the question mark is being used in my sentence and is not in the quote.

Lee Carbray

Second Unit
"Allot" is a word, but has a different meaning then the term "a lot". "Allot" means to distribute or allocate.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
You know, I cut poeple slack when typing on message boards and instant messages. Alot, er, a lot of words are incorrectly spelled or abbreviated out of necessity, i.e. ppl=people, ur=you are. And of course, blatant misspelled words are fine because we all aren't perfect typists (i.e. "teh" or "nad" for "the" and "and").

But the ***one thing*** that bugs me to no end, because it isn't a spelling shortcut, but a clear lack of understanding of grammar, is when people think that the contractions:

would've = would have
could've = could have
should've = should have

are actually

would of
could of
should of

ARGGGGHGHGHGHGGG that drives me nuts! :D

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
HOO KARZ!?!?!??!?

Lighten up amigos, it's NOT the delivery, it's the message! Not everyone had the best education, and just because they aren't as smart as you doesn't make what they have to say any less important. If everything was so rigid, uptight, and proper I think I'd explode.

Actually I get annoyed at only one thing;

"I could care less."

But that's a whole other thread. :D

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
It's L-O-S-E, people. I can see misspelling a word and I'm not anal about it; but when the misspelling is another perfectly legitimate word with an entirely different pronunciation, it really is pitiful.
This has to be my biggest spelling pet peeve! Most people wouldn't make this mistake in conversation, so why does it happen on the written page?

Weird.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
I love these threads.:emoji_thumbsup: They're always good for a chuckle. There's one of these every month just like clockwork. I can't wait for next month's "irregardless" discussion.

John Watson

Screenwriter
I enjoy watching the grammar Nutzies take on the illiterati :D

to use an old expression, it's like pissing into the wind :frowning:

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I am right with you David. I would predict that the majority of times (on this or any board) that someone attempts to spell the word which means "fail to win" or "misplace" they spell it L-O-O-S-E. Yes, that's right - I see it spelled wrong more times than I see it spelled correctly. My favorite is when someone tries to defame another by writing "You are such a looser!".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks