What's new

Attention all "Boy Meets World" fans! (1 Viewer)

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

not to be rude, but I think all the ardent BMW fans in here, the ones who love the show, already bought season 3, so you can't accuse them of not supporting the sets

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator
I completely agree with the idea of releasing a limited run of a series so hardcore fans can complete their collections. They could take pre-orders and then manufacture only as many units as they have guaranteed sales for. Or set a goal and let everyone know "we'll release this DVD if/when this many people show interest". If studios would be more upfront about what kind of numbers they're looking for, I bet more people would be motivated to buy - people who might otherwise wait for a sale, or for future seasons to come out first.

Also, studios should be more realistic about how many sales to expect - instead of getting greedy and wanting huge sales for everything. They certainly do seem to have the mentality "if ___ doesn't make as big a profit as our latest hit show, it's not worth releasing". There *should* be room for shows with smaller, cult fanbases too!

I hadn't realized commentaries were actually recorded for Once & Again season 3... ow. That makes it even worse. Dammit. I despise Disney. I love so many of their "properties", and it hurts to see them mishandled or ignored by the suits in charge. For once, I'd like to see a *fan* work his/her way up the ranks in a company...somebody who cares about the product, not merely about profits. (Disney needs a George Feltenstein, badly!)

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
The "Well, Season 1 only sold 11,683 copies, so we'll only press 11,683 copies of Season 2" mentality (essentially the same as pre-orders really) is simply not feasible because it isn't just a matter of digitizing the episodes, pressing them onto disc and putting them on a box. There are a lot of fixed expenses that need to be taken into account that are different for each show--it isn't a case of, every single copy sold = profits.

ethanTo

Stunt Coordinator
They really should start to look into (if they're not already) new and more viable ways to distribute them then. I guess I read some stuff about Warner maybe(?) airing less popular shows on the web, for subscribers, but I don't imagine that web streaming will be especially good quality.

But like others have said, whether it is limited production, much cheaper production methods (don't worry about the extras, the episodes are so much more important), there has to be a solution out there for unpopular shows, to get hard copies of them in their original source (not crappy streamed content, but on the other hand, not exceptionally well re-mastered with lots of time and money, as that does not seem economically feasible for the unpopular shows), new distribution methods (web only?), etc. There's got to be something out there, I'm sure it's not DISNEY who is looking into it either, since they seem very slow on the take when it comes to TV-DVDs, amongst other things.

That they bothered to do commentaries and extras for Once & Again kind of bothers me. Granted, that is important to some people, but I think it's safe to say that getting the episodes themselves is vastly more important. If there is even concern that the release will be scrapped ENTIRELY due to budget & sales feasibility, why the hell would you bother to spend time and money creating for the most part lame featurettes? It seems so beyond wasteful to me.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if a studio announces that a future season of a show is scheduled to be released on a certain date, before the previous season comes out, then after the "previous" season is released, they cancel the next release...would they in some way be obligated to refund the customers money for the previous season since they misinformed the customer?

Jeffrey F

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeffrey
I understand that this is a business, but I think we can agree that it's one that doesn't take the fans wants/needs into consideration.

However, I'd like to thank everyone who joined our "Save BMW" group. Please spread the word around about it and help us in every way possible listed on the main page at our site. We would really appreciate it!

Thanks!

~Jeffrey

Brady

Grip
I guess I don't understand all of this. I mean, I understand Gord and Dave getting snippy about people signing without the intention to buy, but if you look at their site and tally the "dvd's people want" with the "dvd's people own", you'll see that while 3000 people wanted Brisco, only 60 people bought it (so far, and these numbers I'm pulling out of my behind). So, for tvshowsondvd.com to come out and say that they help get stuff released, its really just the same as the petition. No proof of any intention to buy, and in fact, it might be suggested that if studios see these large numbers of potential buyers, and then they don't buy the sets for months, they get pissed.

Maybe what studios need to do in this case is press a smaller number of product and/or charge more. No reason why you can't make the diehards happy. Some people will pay anything, so give the BMW people, the Baa Baa Black sheep people, the Barney Miller people, an option to buy. Don't mass produce 9 million sets and sit there dejected when they don't sell. Go the Time/Life route and put together a nice set and let those who want it buy it.

And I'm not picking on tvshowsondvd.com or the petition people. I'm just saying, its all the same in the end.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Yes and no; only a small number of users on the site actually use the site to keep track of the sets they want and own.

Gord

John*D

Second Unit

Exactly.

I'll vote for shows I'm going to purchase if they aren't released, but I don't use it to keep track of what's in my collection.

That's what Link Removed is for...

Nick^I

Auditioning
You know what though its not fair for Disney to abandon BMW when they have already released 3 seasons. Has a fan like most as i can see were very devoted to the show. the only other option left is bootlegged, since it is played everyday thankfully I don't have to resort to that yet. What would be nice is if Disney would sell the rest of the seasons online for those who would like to own it so we could copy them to david r's, as long has the picture quality would be has nice has the tv broadcasts (I don't know if its possible for it to be dvd quality) that way they wouldnt have to worry about sales and th fans could d be happy and not have to resort to other ways of owning their favorite show, but it sadly seems like disney only cares about money and doesnt realize fans will resort to bootleg which is lost sales for disney.

RoryR

Stunt Coordinator
In the UK we should be doubly pissed, they are cutting Frasier/Cheers/The Golden Girls & Home Improvement, but I'll just buy the US dvds. They didn't sell well and we're (hopefully) moving to a new format without region codes, the biggest waste ever.

But, we understand they didn't sell well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks