What's new

Attention all "Boy Meets World" fans! (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey F

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeffrey
As most of you realize by now, Seasons #4-7 of Boy Meets World are not being released on DVD. I know and have seen first hand the loyalty and dedication the fans of Boy Meets World have toward this show. As of July 7th, I started a campaign along with my friend, Mike, to save the series and have the rest released on DVD. I urge you all to join this group, "Save BMW." At the website of this group, we have instructions on what you can do to tell Disney/Buena Vista that you as fans and paying consumers want your "Boy Meets World" on DVD! If you are not a MySpace member, it only takes a few short minutes to register, and it's completely free!

Please help our cause! Thank you!

http://groups.myspace.com/SaveBMW

~Jeffrey

P.S.-If there is anyone from Disney/Buena Vista reading this, please reply or send me a PM. Thank you!

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

And that's exactly why these things fail. What percentage of the people that sign online petitons are doing it because they support the product, and what percentage are doing it because they support the people that support the product? This is why studios look at SALES, and not names on petitions.

Gord

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
well, I wouldn't buy a BMW DVD because I'm not a fan of the series, however, I know that if it was MY favorite series getting screwed the way that Disney screwed with BMW, by announcing season 4, then delaying it, then deleting it, I would be very ticked off, so I definately would stand behind a petition telling Disney to release the rest of the sets, it was just wrong the way they deleted BMW s4 at the last minute after the fans had a planned date and artwork and everything. If Disney did the same thing with Golden Girls, I know I wouldn't be amused.

Jeffrey F

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeffrey
Well, of course sales are the most important, and that's what we want. But we also have to convince Disney/Buena Vista that there is STILL interest in the show.

There have been successful petitions in the past, so why not BMW? We don't feel that it's fair for Disney/Buena Vista to stop the DVD production after already releasing three seasons on DVD. This is an excellent show and we feel that it needs to be released on its entirety.

Thanks for the support, Jay_B!

And we would be more than greatful, Gord, if you would restore BMW to www.tvshowsondvd.com sooner rather than later. There are so many fans who are actually willing to follow the rules at your site and register for only one account.

~Jeffrey

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
one thing I don't get is that the sales dropped a little and Disney cancels it. Just because people who have 1 and 2 that don't have 3 yet doesn't mean they'll never buy it, maybe people just have higher priorities. Hell, I have a friend who has Angel season 1 and Buffy seasons 1-4, she loves the latter seasons for both, she just hasn't gotten around to getting Angel 2-5 and Buffy 5-7... doesn't mean she abandoned those shows, just that she has had other things to buy in the interval time, like a house and a car, etc... tho she plans on finishing both sets "one of these days". I am sure there are many people with the BMW sets who plan on getting season 3 one of these days, it just wasn't high on their priority list. Not everybody buys sets within the first month of release, and the companies do not GET that.

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator
I feel sorry for you guys...Disney did the same thing with Once & Again season 3... artwork and release date (Jan. 10, 2006).... then, nuthin'. And it's the last freakin' season! Grrr.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
when it comes to a last season, I think the companies should take a "rip the bandaid off" approach, like Once And Again s3, SWAT s2. It might not be the most profitable thing ever, but at least you'll get it over and done with and the fans won't bother them again over it. All sides win.

Nick Zbu

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Zbu
I get the feeling that companies should take the idea that if they put their stuff onto DVD, then the possibilities for bootlegging will be diminished. Sure, people could share avis and isos anywhere, but at least they'll get a cut of the money off of people that are making a profit on eBay. That or seriously consider putting stuff out as complete series in a limited run. I'm not a fan of Boy Meets World in the slightest, but cutting off a series just because it hasn't sold to expectations is just cold.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

I agree. I know this site has an anti-bootlegging policy. But you do have to admit, then the companies refuse to release certain sets, it opens the door to bootlegging. Would Disney want to make a small profit, but not a Lost/Desperate Housewives profit off seasons 4-7 of BMW, or make no profit at all by not releasing them and losing potential sales because the fans went the bootleg route?

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I don't know why studios haven't utilized things like customdisc.com and selling shows with disappointing sales exclusively through Amazon.com or something...

RoryR

Stunt Coordinator
Wouldn't it be better to buy any you don't have, or give them as gifts, or something with sales?

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Disney has become notorious for crapping out on series with less than stellar sales. They need to crack open that vault and forget about it. They probably compare sales of older shows with no-brainer big success stories like Lost. They probably say, "oh look--BMW only sold 1/10th what Lost did. Let's take it off the schedule." They don't want the stockholders questioning why BMW sold so "poorly" compared to Lost. :frowning:

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
^ yep, I recall the same article announcing the abandonment of BMW used other company "flops" and compared them with Friends and Seinfeld, two shows that are completely in a different league and should be compared so

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

If you won't buy the DVD, then how do you expect to prove to the studio that you are standing behind your name being on the petition?

ethanTo

Stunt Coordinator
I kind of agree with the above poster, if two times as many people sign the petition, as buy the DVD, and sales for DVD #4 still suck, I would not get my hopes up for #5-7. On one of those petitions, it would seem to me (don't know much about their mechanics) that their numbers could be artifically inflated anyways, with fake accounts/double postings, so I would take the number of signatures as not particularly meaningful. On the other hand, the sendings of letters sounds good, I tried to do that with the Disney site, but the site is a laugh, and I couldn't find anything remotely useful on it.

I am considering registering just so I can get the Disney info and send it re: Gargoyles. :)

Disney has been so much in the news lately, plummeting stock, massive layoffs, it is almost hard to blame them for cutting off certain shows. But I know how you guys feel, I would buy both the last season of Once & Again, and Gargoyles S2V2 (the last part of the original Gargoyles run, not including the terrible Goliath Chronicles) in a heartbeat, were they released. :frowning:

Jeffrey F

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeffrey
I have to agree with what a lot of you stated in your posts.

I thought it was bad enough for BMW to be "cut" (supposedly) after Season 3, and then to see the Season 4 cover art, and then the planned date, and then postponement, and then a supposed cancellation! That's like putting the ball of yarn in front of the cat, and then yanking it away never to return it. It's really cruel!

But I also feel really bad for "Once & Again" fans (if not even worse), since they had one season released in 2002, then had to wait three more years for Season 2, and THEN had Season 3 annouced along with BMW, and then pulled. The worst part about it was not just that the cover art was shown and the date was planned, but that commentaries were recorded, and now what? NOTHING. On top of all that, it is the LAST season for the show! If I were a fan of that show, I would SERIOUSLY be pissed! In my opinion, there is NO reason why they can't just release the last season if they have gotten that far for that show or any other in the same situation.

I may not be a fan of that show, but I would still be willing to support that show's fans in signing any petitions, etc.

Another show, which I noticed has been rudely discontinued under another company, is the show "Everwood." Fans of that show have been clamoring for a second season and more for almost four years.

It just goes to show me how rude the TV on DVD business has become. It's truly a shame.

And I do agree that if they are not planning to release the rest of a series into it's completion, then they should AT LEAST release a small number on special order so that the true fans and "completionists" can buy the final seasons of a show. Again, it's just a shame what has happened here.

Lastly, with regard to www.tvshowsondvd.com , I agree that it's a respectable site, and that the companies take it much more seriously than petitions, but at the same point, isn't it essentially the same thing? After all, anyone can vote, and tell their friends to vote. I know that if you are voting, you are supposed to be committed to actually buying what you vote for on DVD, but that doesn't mean everyone will! There are many people who just vote to support their friends' favorite shows, which is basically the same as signing a petition.

~Jeffrey

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
People seem to forget that these are buesinesses we're talking about, you don't have a buesiness to lose money, you need to make money to stay in buesiness. You want more, more people need to buy the product, plus I love Boy Meets World, I grew up on it but hell it's on TV nearly all the time, the same thing goes with Seinfeld, there's no need to go out and buy it at least for me.

RoryR

Stunt Coordinator
How come we believe that these companies owe us the sets? If you don't buy them for whatever reason, how will it ever sell enough to be profitable? Even if they still make a profit, thats staff and a lot of work when you could spend your time on another show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks