What's new

Attention Akira Kurosawa Fans! (1 Viewer)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
The Film Forum in NYC is having an almost two months long series of Akira Kurosawa/Toshiro Mifune films, all in brand new 35mm prints. For info Link Removed
Also, the Walter Reade Theater is showing Kurosawa's rarely seen Dersu Uzala in a brand new 35mm print as part of their Kino series. For more info click here. This series also contains all kinds of great movies. Most of them are very famous, but one less well known that I strongly recommend is Capitaine Conan.
I know that most of you, for reasons I fail to comprehend, don't live in New York, but in case you were planning an August vacation, this would be a fine reason to visit us.
Ted

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Ted
That is great news, about 3 months ago there was one in Glasgow and saw Sanjuro, Rashomon, Throne of Blood and Yoijimbo.
Too bad I cannot make it to NY.
:D

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Bah! I can't find the story now, but Cowboy Pictures was supposed to be distributing a huge chunk of restored Kurosawa prints this summer to several cities. Maybe this is the beginning of that?

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
See a movie, pay $25 to park and get mugged. ;) Truly life at it's finest.
But yes, it's days like this that we all envy you. Maybe I need to make that trip into NYC that I've been kicking around.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
See a movie, pay $25 to park and get mugged. Truly life at it's finest.
Seth,
We don't pay $25 for parking because we don't own cars (we just listen to Car Talk) -- we walk or take the subway to the movies... And all the muggers were given the Rudy Guiliani treatment and have relocated to Peoria and Gary, Ind. :) Seriously though, NYC has a lower per capita crime rate than the vast majority of bigger US cities and what crime there is tends to occur in neighborhoods without art film theaters. Indeed the crime rate on the Upper West Side and West Village/Soho where the two theaters mentioned are located is minuscule. I know you were kidding, but some myths die so hard, they do need to be dispelled.
Dome,
Here the landlord will probably pay you to vacate your apartment -- the sooner the better :)
I don't know whether the Film Forum series is related to any nationwide release, but many films go elsewhere after playing the Film Forum.
Ted

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
we walk or take the subway to the movies... And all the muggers were given the Rudy Guiliani treatment and have relocated to Peoria and Gary, Ind. :)
Since I live right by Gary, IN I can tell you that all of the muggers were probably killed by all of the crack dealers. :)
-Dean-

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I will certainly make it for a couple these. Assuming I can only watch 2 or 3 of these movies, which ones beside SS (my only Kurosawa :b) should I consider?

--
Holadem

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Yojimbo & High & Low are my personal favorites, but I haven't seen several, including Throne of Blood. I'd definitely see Dersu Uzala because the Walter Reade is a movie goer's paradise, IMHO the best movie house in NYC.
But you can't go wrong, really.
Ted

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
we walk or take the subway to the movies...
Of course, this is the preferable method of transportation. At least for me it is during my visits over there. I've actually gotten used to them. Ground transportation has gotten to be a pain around NYC.

~Edwin

Talal

Stunt Coordinator
Bah! I can't find the story now, but Cowboy Pictures was supposed to be distributing a huge chunk of restored Kurosawa prints this summer to several cities. Maybe this is the beginning of that?
Yes.. these are those new 35mm prints, with new subtitles as well. HIGH and LOW... HERE I COME!!!
C'mon Criterion, now you have a pristine print to make an anamorphic disc of HIGH AND LOW with....

Colin-H

Second Unit
I am so excited about this. I am going to catch every film I can. That's 9 of them, I think.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Just saw Throne of Blood Definitely the best (and indeed a very faithful) filmed adaptation of Macbeth I have ever seen. Lady Macbeth in particular was spine chillingly evil. And the Spider Web's forest really did seem alive.
Ted

Rob Daniel

Auditioning
For those in the DC area, these will also be playing at the AFI theater at the Kennedy Center. You can get a schedule in PDF form here . The restored version of Fritz Lang's Metropolis is also playing there until August 8.

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
WAHHHH!!!! Somebody please post info about other locations, such as, in Texas. I went to Cowboy Pictures website but they had no info. :frowning:

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I saw Dersu Uzala yesterday, and all I can say is WOW! The movie is shot in eastern Siberia and it is incredibly beautiful. The actor playing the title role (making his film debut at 64) just lives the part. There are some shots that have to be seen to be believed, like one great scene where the sun and moon are both up high in the sky.
The new print was good, but the negative is in need of restoration.
Ted

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
C'mon Criterion, now you have a pristine print to make an anamorphic disc of HIGH AND LOW with....
This is one of the very few Criterions that I truly consider overpriced. I knew the deal going in, and still made the purchase, however. And I’ll probably buy the ‘new and improved’ version as well.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I know that most of you, for reasons I fail to comprehend, don't live in New York,
Because my 2-bedroom $450/month apartment in upstate New York would cost me at least $3000/month* in NYC

*All prices reflect both on-line and newspaper-based "apartments for rent" classifieds for Manhattan. Other burroughs may or may-not be cheaper. All prices based on similar square footage and accessories. Prices and participation may vary. See Dealer for details.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
This is when I envy you New Yorkers. ;)
Hopefully these Kurosawa prints will make its way to Chi-town sometime.
Ted,
How was the print quality on Throne of Blood?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks