1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Attempted Suicide kills 10, injures 180+

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by David Galindo, Jan 26, 2005.

1. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

2. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

Yeah, I know. I work at a hospital that is just blocks from the crash site. Just got home. I spent all day doing PR. There were some horrible injuries. One patient went into surgery this morning, not long after arriving at the hospital, and was still in surgery when I left, around 7:00 p.m.! Truly awful. [​IMG]

It's amazing how one person's selfish actions can affect the lives of so many others. I don't think jackass is strong enough.

Edit to add: They just found an 11th body.

3. WillG

WillG Producer

It's always so ridiculous to read about this kind of thing. You can't just swallow some pills, or sit in the garage with the engine running.

Sad thing is, this guy is still alive. Now he truly has a reason to kill himself.

4. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Why don't more people believe in the hemlock society and allow people to take themselves out in a more humane and safe to other members in society methods? I don't see why there isn't a setup that would allow nuts like this to end himself in a way that he doesn't jeopardise other people (either pychotherapy, chemicals, or suicide assist). Ironically this punk will most likely get the pychological help he needs after this situation.

5. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

He could have just od'd on sleeping pills, how much more "humane" than that does it get? It's not as though there's cops making the rounds, preventing people from offing themselves in the privacy of their own homes. Society has nothing to do with yesterday's tragedy.

6. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
  7. andrew markworthy

There are individuals so deeply troubled that they have an urge to kill themselves which as outsiders to their suffering we cannot understand. However, even if someone takes the decision to kill themselves they still have a moral responsibility not to harm or unduly distress others. Making a suicide threat in front of your son (who, by extrapolation must still be a small child) and then even contemplating this form of death indicates an utter lack of regard for others.

Unfortunately we had a similar case in the UK a few months ago - a man fried to the tonsils on drugs decided he'd park his car on a busy rail line. In that case the jackass stayed in the car, which at least saved the expense of a trial, but he took with him quite a few passengers and the driver of the train.

Having someone commit suicide by jumping in front of a train or lying on the tracks is surprisingly common, and a major occupational hazard for train drivers, at least in the UK. A friend's father was a train driver and experienced this. Luckily other than the person killing himself (a very disturbed young man with a history of schizophrenia and drug-taking) no one else was killed, but my friend's father was off work for two months with the psychological trauma (and he was no weakling).

8. Mike Brogan

Mike Brogan Second Unit

I hope he gets to live the rest of his miserable life in jail. What an idiot.

Also, I wouldn't think that a vehicle of that size was capable of derailing 2 trains. That's a scary thought in a post 9-11 world. Don't modern trains have some sort of 'cow catcher' mechanism to prevent such things?

9. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

History of suicide attempts?!?! What a f*ck up this guy is! If you're going to do it, do it right... put a gun in your mouth jackass!

10. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

>"I don't see why there isn't a setup that would allow nuts like this to end himself in a way that he doesn't jeopardise other people"

As others have mentioned, he didn't have to jeopardize other people. He could have just plopped his sorry butt onto the tracks.

He WANTED to take out other people. The old "I'm in pain, I'm going to make others feel pain" attitude.

Hopefully they won't give him the death penalty.

11. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    This gent is the kind of fellow I want to see in general population at a very unpleasant prison that annually fails it's health code inspections. As most of the other heartless bastards (I'm a proud member) have said, this asstool is weak, stupid, AND incompetent. Many good folks will spend plenty of time helping with one or maybe two of those issues.

If you are going to have the decency to off yourself, do it responsibly.

That said, I'm very sorry for the families of the hurt, injured, and deceased. It's a terrible tragedy.

Take care,
    Chuck

12. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

Due to the circumstances surrounding this fiasco, he will likely end up in a mental institution.

I bet he's depressed now.

13. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

Hah, thats true. He's gonna wish he had done it right the first time once he's in prison...

14. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    This really hit home for me when I saw the news reports yesterday. I used to ride that exact (S/B) train at that time to work. Fortunately for me, I now work much closer to home and don't take the train anymore. I recognized many of the people that were interviewed as people I used to see on the train. I knew the engineer fairly well, and I heard the engineer died, but I am haven't seen a picture, so I don't know if it's the same one I knew.

Tragic... and very weird.

15. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I am so sick of seeing this ass-clowns mug shot plastered on every news website over the last couple of days. In the words of Major (Dutch) Schaeffer "You're one ugly mutha-fucker".

16. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

The first train was actually not the engine, which was at the back of the train. News reports said that if it were at the front, it probably would have just pushed the car off the track.

17. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

The engineer is alive. He is hospitalized and is stable.

18. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Wouldn't common sense dictate that an engine should always be up front just incase of situations like this occurring?

19. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Instead of just getting out and walking away, why didn't he just start the car and drive off the tracks? [​IMG]

20. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor