What's new

Attack of the Killer Fish! (1 Viewer)

Julie K

Screenwriter
Well, my other "we're doomed" thread seems doomed itself. Maybe this one will fare better.
I don't know about anyone else, but I find aggressive fish who eat almost anything in their path and who can walk between ponds and spend 3 days out of water to be extraordinarily fascinating.
Another seafront story is a 60 foot long, 550 pound new species of giant squid
I just love stuff like this.

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
True story - when the "fish story" teaser came on a few days ago while watching the local news, I said to my wife "that looks like a snakehead." I used to be a fresh water aquarium enthusiast. I even owned a snakehead. (Don't blame me, it died.)

God knows how many Oscars have been released. Thankfully they aren't as agressive as the Snakehead.

As for the squid, the fact we know so little about them is amazing. I just don't want to be riding with that guy on the Discovery channel if he finally runs into one while cruising around in that little sub!

Julie K

Screenwriter
I just don't want to be riding with that guy on the Discovery channel if he finally runs into one while cruising around in that little sub!
That's for sure. I really hope that guy finds live ones but I'm glad it won't be me in that little sub. A beak that can bite through steel cable?!? Yikes!

Just imagine what a squid that big eats...

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
That snakehead story takes place pretty close to here (DC area). They are talking about using poision to kill off the ponds and hopefully wipe out all the snakeheads in the process.

Jeff

TedE

Stunt Coordinator
I hope they don't have to resort to poisoning the whole pond. It's funny reading all the articles around here in the Post and Baltimore Sun. It was front page news for about a week straight and some local DJs were broadcasting on site, trying to hold some "Snakehead Ransom" contest for whoever could catch one. They did finally run a bunch of current through the lake to stun fish and skimmed them off the top!! I think they plan on doing it again.

BTW, snakehead is pretty damn tasty, especially as sushi or sashimi.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
FYI, there was a feature story about this fish-cum-amphibion in this morning's Los ANgeles Times. Lovely animal.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
with large sucker marks on their bodies, apparently from squid attacks.
:laugh::laugh:
When I lived in Maine, I never ran across one of the killer fish; that is, when hiking I was never followed by one on the trail. Great idea for a 'reality' based horror film though.

Julie K

Screenwriter
with large sucker marks on their bodies, apparently from squid attacks.
I had thought it was the other way around - the whales trying to eat the squid and the squid putting up an impressive struggle. Although we really don't know for sure.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I'm only surprised it took this long for a thread to surface about these fish, since the story has been out a few weeks. I'm sure many radio stations get their kicks out of talking about a "walking fish", but I've seen firsthand what foreign "interlopers" can do when they are released into a new habitat and it isn't pretty. Several fish species native to the Black Sea have turned up in Lake Michigan and are wreaking havoc with the ecosystem. This says nothing of the zebra mussels that have been present for several years and cost millions of dollars to water utilities and factories that have clogged water intakes. I'm certainly happy that the Maryland Department of Natural Resources is handling this so aggressively.

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
I had thought it was the other way around - the whales trying to eat the squid and the squid putting up an impressive struggle. Although we really don't know for sure.
That's what I always figured too. I know certain whales will eat smaller squids, so I guess it goes to reason that even bigger carniverous whales will try their hand at the giant squids.

Julie K

Screenwriter
Non-native species certainly do much damage to the native species and ecosystem. They are located in more states than just Maryland too - Hawaii, Florida, California, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
However, I have to admire something that's such a survivor as a snakehead. I'm also an admirer of fish who can leave the water for extended periods of time. Hey, walking fish that eat any small animal in its path - that's just totally cool :)
But no, don't worry, I won't be leading any "Save the Snakeheads!" rallies....
Great idea for a 'reality' based horror film though.
Yes, we desperately need more killer walking fish in horror movies. I can see the tagline "They live in the water, but you can't escape them by staying on the land..."

CharlesD

Screenwriter
I don't know about anyone else, but I find aggressive fish who eat almost anything in their path and who can walk between ponds and spend 3 days out of water to be extraordinarily fascinating.
The film project has already been greenlighted (greenlit?) Expect 30ft long CGI walking fish to be eating dozens of frightened humans on a screen near you in Summer 2003!

Julie K

Screenwriter
The film project has already been greenlighted (greenlit?) Expect 30ft long CGI walking fish to be eating dozens of frightened humans on a screen near you in Summer 2003!
Oh, don't tease me! You don't know how much I would love to see something like that :)

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Times I think, “Did I really just see/hear that”.
I miss my local news all the time and am relegated to catching up on CNN when I have time.
I’m pretty sure I just saw part of a blurb on my local, that 2 Piranha had been confirmed caught in an area lake. (I missed which lake, ummmm do I want to go skiing this summer.)
What with all the exotic boutiques around I had been waiting for this to happen for a long time.

Julie K

Screenwriter
that 2 Piranha had been confirmed caught in an area lake.
I am extremely skeptical of piranha sightings. Every "piranha" I've heard of being caught has turned out to be a vegetarian pacu. Pacus look almost exactly like piranha, right down to the sharp teeth. These "piranha" need to be examined by someone who's a real expert on fish.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks