Attaching Theatre Seats to 6" Riser

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by armin, Mar 11, 2002.

1. armin

armin Extra

Hi EVERYone,

I have a few actual movie theatre seats that I wanted to put on an elevated riser behind my couch(which sits on the floor). There are 4 holes on the legs of the theatre seats for nuts/bolts to go into the floor. Since I have a 6" wooden riser - will the chair be sturdy enough if I go into the wood. I've only known theatre seats to go directly into the concrete. My concern is that I screw the seat into my wooden riser and I lean back on the seat and oooops - cranial fracture.

Has anybody attached theatre seats to a elevated riser rather than straight into concrete floor.

thanks,

Armin

2. ToddS

ToddS Stunt Coordinator

I attached my theater seats with 1/4"x2" bolts with hex nuts and washers and they seem to be very secure.

3. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

If you are going to attach them to plywood the harware may pull through. Try adding a couple of 1x4's under the platform, running front to back and use large washers on the bottom.

4. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Armin,

Design the height of your riser carefully. There's nothing worse than building a riser only to find out that you can't see the bottom of the screen because heads are in the way. I've always found a 6" riser is inadequate unless the display device has been raised. Good luck.

5. Jerry Wright

Jerry Wright Agent

Assuming you are using 3/4" plywood on the platform, and you are referring to difficulty accessing the underside to place the nuts and washers, I'm suggesting marking the hole locations through the leg holes, then drilling through and mounting with heavy duty toggle bolts.