What's new

attaching shelving in the garage... (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I picked up some shelving materials and screwed it all on, but on second thought I didn't find the studs and simply screwed the vertical support rails into the 1/2" chipboard they used along the back of the garage. I'm sure the 2" screws I used penetrated all the way through this chip board, but I'm having second thoughts on its ability to support the weight, what do you guys think?

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
You'll be ok shelving styrofoam and peanuts, but anything heavier, and you're looking to have the whole thing collapse on you.

Even using a molly bolt (or whatever they are called) won't be any good for anything over 10 pounds or so.

Sorry! Start over and find those studs!

Glenn

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Not sure a stud finder is going to work through 3/4" drywall and 1/2" chip board. Maybe I can find them from the inside wall and measure.

What I'll do is move the 2 center supports, the ends need to be where they are, the shelf is 5' long and has 4 supports, so I think the middle two will be Ok

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
a stud-finder is best ... if you're worried about depth, some have a "deep scan" function.

but really, you don't even need a stud finder. your studs should be 16" on center. tap the wall to find the first stud (or look for an electrical outlet or wall switch - those are always attached to a stud). drive a really tiny nail into the wall ... if it hits a stud you'll know it. then measure out 16" and repeat the nail trick.

if you have solid support on either side of the shelves, then you can use toggle bolts for the middle support.

but, no matter what, make sure those shelves are properly anchored ... you'll be glad you did in the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks