What's new

Attaching satelite speakers to wall? (1 Viewer)

Marc*F

Stunt Coordinator
I have some small Pioneer satelite surround speakers that i would like to attach to the wall. They have a slot on the back to use on a screw in the wall, except i don't want to put a screw in the wall.

What other way could I attach the speakers?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
How ‘bout a nail?

Seriously, Mark, they aren’t going to levitate. :) You’re going to have to sink something into the sheetrock to secure them.

Oh, I suppose you might be able to find some kind of industrial-strength adhesive to hold them up there, but then you would never be able to get them down without tearing all the paper off the sheetrock – talk about an ugly mess!

If you ever have to remove it, the hole from a screw is easily covered with a little sheetrock mud from the hardware store. A little paint, and you’ll never know there was ever a hole there.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Matthew Todd

Second Unit
Mark,

One alternative would be to install a small shelf on the wall and then place the speakers on the shelves. I did that once, and it worked quite well.

Right now, I have my speakers mounted on screws on the wall. The screws are behind the mounting brackets of the speakers, so they cannot be seen.

Matt

Marc*F

Stunt Coordinator
i would put a screw in the wall and it would be fixed...but i am renting so cannot :)

Geno

Supporting Actor
Marc - if it is just a matter of renting the place, then do it. Its only a screw, say you hung a painting or a mirror there instead, then a screw would be acceptable. Ive screwed my projector mount to the wall and my rear surrounds to the wall and i rent. Unless stated in you lease that you cannot screw things to the wall, you should be safe.

there is a level of acceptable wear and tear in rental units, this, to me, is not overly excessive.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Do like I did. Mount the speaker with screws. When moving out, remove the screw, spackle and sand the hole. Or do like we used to do in college - put Colgate toothpaste in the hole. It's white, dries rock hard and used to be free at the University clinic!

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
Jeff,
Your not supposed to let the MA college secrets out.

Marc, Seriously JUST DO IT ! (Nike stopped using that saying so I can now use it! besides my wife's an employee for Nike)

Signed
Ed
Methuen, MA

Marc*F

Stunt Coordinator
That toothpaste trick sounds pretty good :)

Something a little off topic but still relevant...My receiver has built in test tones and i am adjust the speaker levels with my RS SPL meter....with the test tones the surrounds seemed a bit low...i just popped in my copy of Monster Inc with the THX sound demo, and the speakers appear more equal now...quite a difference in settings to my reciever test settings....the THX pink noise? seems more fuller; noticble treble...how reliable is the THX 5.1 sound demo on a dvd?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
how reliable is the THX 5.1 sound demo on a dvd?
Probably more reliable than your test tones from the receiver. Test tones can range from dead on to way off and the only way to find out how off they are is to calibrate from a disk. Avia, S&V and VE are usually recommended, because the THX tones are specific to the movie they are issued with and may or may not be equal to the standard disk calibration tones.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks