ATSC receiver reccomendations?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by JeremyErwin, Jan 16, 2005.

1. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

I'm musing about getting an DTV reciever so that I can access PBS's multicast streams, mess around a bit with HDTV, and so on. I live in Fairfax, VA, about 15 to 20 miles from most of the transmitters.

I don't currently have an HD set. However, I do have a few good, high resolution computer monitors, so I'm thinking that any set top box would have to support VGA.

Are there any good set top boxes available that support VGA monitors?

I've only been able to find three such set top boxes around. Walmart has some kind of "US Digital" box, and Circuit City has a Motorola and a Samsung. I'm more inclined to go after the Samsung (a '451 model) because it has that RGB port..

Might some store in the local area carry more of a selection? I've been told (by an apologetic radio shack employee) that DirectTV is pressuring various retailers to de-emphasize their ATSC receivers...

Comments?

2. Chad B

Chad B Stunt Coordinator

I have an MIT MDR-200 HDTV tuner that has an RGB output on a VGA style jack. I use that RGB output on my Mitsubishi 60803 HD monitor. The MIT also functions as a scaler, taking 480i in via component, s-vid, and composite and outputting at HD resolution via RGB. It performs very well. I just wish the output resolution was set electronically instead of by a switch on the back.

3. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

neat. I was just reading about how the MIT tuner can be used with a Macintosh to record video (via the firewire port).

4. John S

John S Producer

You can hook HD Tuners to most any Non-HD Display. They usually will have svideo out for this.

5. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

As I understand it, a Y/C connector is significantly inferior to a VGA connection. In addition, I was hoping to take advantage of the high resolution and progressive scan of my existing displays.

I have heard, however, that many of the RGB connectors available on consumer video electronics are intended for use with a 15.75 KHz monitor, and not a VGA monitor, which, in general, only support signals greater than 30 KHz.

Thus, the question.

6. guyrdh

guyrdh Auditioning

I want to buy an ATSC receiver that has a firewire (IEEE 1394) output so I can record local HD broadcasts on my HD VCR. Does anyone know where I can get one, I have searched everywhere, none seem to have firewire output. Samsung use to make one but I can't find it. If you know where I can get one or a manufacturers model number for one please email [email protected]. Thanks

7. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    The manual for my old Samsung SIR-T150 says the RGB output can be connected to a computer monitor. Does not give much in the way of detail though. I use one both in the main system (front proj.) and in the basement system (old 64 inch CRT) but with just component connections. For a computer personally I'd consider an ATSC video card if you could do it. It's probably going to be less money (maybe around $100 give or take a little) but you won't have the outboard box.

8. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

I remember this thread. ended up with a samsung sir-t165, which was cool, until it died.