ATSC displays

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LorenzoD, Mar 28, 2002.

1. LorenzoD

LorenzoD Agent

2. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Are you looking for direct view, rptv, or fptv...Any idea on size you are looking for.Also do you want 16.9 or 4.3. What price range you would like to stay in...You can get digital sets from 899 all the way up to 10000 and more...There is a great selection in the 1800 to 3000 range...

3. LorenzoD

LorenzoD Agent

Mike,
    I am primarily looking for direct view displays right now. RPTVs have come a long way since the last time (5+ years) I was in the market for a new display, so RPTV could be a secondary interest. Plasma has always caught my eye, but it's still a little too expensive compared to other technologies, at least in my eyes.
    I have no preference between 16x9 and 4:3 right now. I know widescreen is supposedly the future of TV, but there is still a lot of 4:3 content to be had right now. And as far as direct view displays are concerned, it's my understanding that a larger 16x9 picture can be had on a 40" 4:3 screen than a dedicated 16x9 34" screen.
    Price, of course, is a factor for me. I would like to stay well below $4K if at all possible.
    Jack,
    You can chime in any time now. [​IMG]

4. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Lorenzo..

There are a lot of 4.3 Hd ready direct view sets well within the price range you are looking in...I would look at the sony Hd ready direct views..They all do an automatic 16.9 squeeze ....Currently 36 inch is the largest but sony is coming out with a 40 inch direct view..It may be already out...The 36 inch HD ready sony sets run about 2200...Samsung has a 27 inch for as 899 hd ready direct view. I beleive the Sony 40 inch is suppose to run around 3200...

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

If you want to stay below $4K, give the Sony KV-40XBR700 and KV-36XBR450 direct-view sets a look.

In RPTVs, Panasonic has this awesome-looking 47-inch 16:9 RPTV that's well worth considering at under $2K.

How much picture (size) do you want for the money--with quality being your guiding light?

6. LorenzoD

LorenzoD Agent

Maybe I'm a bit naive... but does ATSC = HDTV?

I was thinking ATSC was a subset of HD, but of course, I haven't done any research on the matter.

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

The ATSC abbreviation stands for the Advanced Television Standards Committee, which was charged with updating the American color television broadcast specifications from the NTSC specs arrived at back in 1953

In light of our digital future, the ATSC has come up with eighteen different formats for the new digital television era. Three of them concern us: 480p ("p" is for "progressive"), 720p, and 1080i ("i" stands for interlaced). The HDTV standards are 720p and 1080i, while 480p is called SDTV, for standard definition television.

What you want is a set capable, at the very least, of 480p scanning. All 1080i high def-capable sets on the market can do 480p and 1080i.

Each of those models requires an external high-def tuner/set-top box. However, a few sets on the market are fully integrated HDTVs, meaning that they incorporate the high-def tuners into their chassis.

I would, in light of the connectivity controversy now raging, still opt for any of the sets I mentioned earlier.

Hope this helps.