What's new

Atonement to be last Universal HD-DVD (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm actually shocked Warner is sticking with that commitment, but it shows just how much more in tune Warner is with its customers than many of the other studios are.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to reviewing Atonement and then on to Blu!

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I still wouldn't be surprised if Warner's plans change. May 31st is a long ways off, and you can rest assured they aren't releasing these last titles out of the kindness of their hearts. If they project a loss, they'll be canceled.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Call me cynical, but I think the only reason Warner Bros. is sticking with their HD DVD releases is that not doing so somehow leaves them open to a lawsuit from Toshiba. Afterall, Toshiba has already indicated they considered slapping Warner Bros. with one after CES 2008.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Oh, I've got no doubt Warner's acting more out of obligation than anything else, and those HD DVDs are going to have some tiny runs. That being said, I would still have appreciated it if Universal and Paramount had continued putting new releases out on HD DVD until they were geared up for BD, just to have a hi-def option available alongside the DVD.

It probably only affects me for Charlie Wilson's War and There Will Be Blood (unless this goes on long enough to not have Cloverfield come out day-and-date), but American Gangster shows that there's some money to be made from it.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

+1

I was hoping that we would see CWW on HD DVD. I wasn't expecting this to be a big seller, so I am afraid that it might get skipped over for HDM release for the immediate future since I doubt a BD could be ready in time for day and date.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Atonement has shipped (along with Justice League).

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
WOW...this format has not been thrown under the bus...it got tossed in front of the entire Greyhound Fleet!!!

Even when RCA closed down the CED VideoDisc format, titles were pressed for months afterwards. So much for support after the fact.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks